Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: IBS  (Read 26884 times)

charliegirl

IBS
« on: March 09, 2017, 05:32:58 PM »

Hi all, my doctor has suggested I might have IBS as I have nagging period type pains even tho dont have a uterus! I feel very hormonal but dont have constipation or diorrhea. Does anyone have IBS and can tell me the symptoms please? Thanks Charliegirl.x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: IBS
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 09:40:41 PM »

How long is a piece of string?  ::)

For me IBS began with my being anorexic from age 3 and eventually my gut spasm slowed almost to a stop.  I was unable to take on board any more food as it made me feel very sick and I was not passing much either.  I was given Colpermin peppermint capsules as well as I think, Motillium - these had to be swallowed within an hour prior to my main meals.  Within 36 hours I felt a different person as my bowel emptied, the bloating went down and I could breath.  It took a few weeks for my bowel to settle but the medication saved my Life.

Eventually I swapped the above to drinking several pots of Actimel every day, my Mum uses another probiotic with success.  R U constipated?  Are your bowels regular?  What makes your GP think that you have IBS?  Any medication or advice on how to manage this?

I have period pain symptoms occasionally even though I haven't had a bleed for 12+ years.  There are a lot of nerves in that area of the body - perhaps someone without a uterus will be along too.

matildamouse

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 02:39:02 AM »

Your doctor might be right I would say.

I am post menopausal and have had no period for 2 years, however frequently get "period like pains" which is usually connected with eating the "wrong" stuff. I even get the bad backpain which is for sure my colon (anatomy wise it is possible to be colon related especially on the left side) which is indicative of a irritable colon as I usually then have other symptoms indicating IBS.

Are you on any HRT? I found oral progesterone to make my IBS symptoms (feeling like period pains) much much worse....

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 02:03:33 PM »

Having had IBS for years it has never felt like period pains/PMS to me.  The symptoms for me are different.  If your GP thinks it's IBS is he doing investigations to rule out anything else which might mimic IBS symptoms?

Maybe keep a mood/food/symptom chart?

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 03:06:43 PM »

Does anyone else feel sick after a bowel movement  :'( - I have slow transit for some reason so was later 'going' today than usual.  Now I feel queasy, light headed, weak legs ........

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2017, 06:12:46 PM »

Yep.  :thankyou:  The awful feelings lasted about an hour  :-\ ........ hate it!  Managed some tea and feel OK again ............

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2017, 07:13:38 PM »

Thanks.  I hate slow transit ........  :-\

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2017, 10:02:00 PM »

....... as well as the feeling of needing to 'go' about 10 mins. after I have! and sometimes that is really necessary as the bowel then has a rush  :o: fortunately I have crossword books close by to keep me otherwise occupied  ::).  Or needing to 'go' but not passing owt  >:(

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2017, 02:37:54 PM »

I am now having slow transit and bloating  :-\ ........ I think I may need to re-start the Colpermin etc.. Or try a laxative tablet but probably not B4 we go away ?

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2017, 12:25:53 PM »

Bothersome this week until I cracked at 5.40 and took an emergency anti-anxiety pill to get me started again.

Dr Michael Mosley has written a new book, out this week: The Clever Guts Diet - I'm not one to buy into these fads but I like Dr Mosley so may well search it out.  What have I to lose if my gut needs more bacteria ..............

Mbrown001

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2017, 01:08:50 PM »

Have you thought of taking a really good pro biotic CLKD. I know you have taken Actimel but these will contain many more good bacteria.

Loads to choose from.

Mrs Brown

Mbrown001

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2017, 02:31:10 PM »

Me too Hasty, I wouldn't be without mine.

They also help with the immune system generally.

Mrs Brown

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2017, 02:32:52 PM »

Actimel has served me well over the years.  But I went off it ........... so I must get into a routine again.  Feeling more human by now.

What pro-biotic would you suggest?

KatyB

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2017, 04:00:09 PM »

Lots of information about IBS on this site https://www.theibsnetwork.org/. Bear in mind though that if you have lots of diarrhoea, blood in bowel movements etc it could be inflammatory. There's really good information on the Crohns and Colitis site here https://www.crohnsandcolitis.org.uk/about-inflammatory-bowel-disease. These ones are typically diagnosed by colonscopy but there is a blood test which can detect coeliac disease which is a form of gluten intolerance - see coeliac.org.uk. IBS is more common than coeliac which is more common than crohns / colitis. IBS generally managed by diet alone, but the others may involve surgery / medication/ total avoidance of glutens in the case of coeliac disease. Really depends a lot on your symptoms, but for example Coeliac is most commonly diagnosed age 40- 60. I was investigated for lots of things before finally being diagnosed with microscopic and collagenous colitis. But these are not rare conditions and they tend to go with other auto-immune conditions and there's some inheritance involved, but not well understood. Don't try to diagnose intolerances by just dropping the suspected food though, do try to get a diagnosis first. My colitis is now well controlled and not a problem without any onerous diet.

KatyB

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2017, 04:01:55 PM »

And just realised you said you don't have diarrhoea or constipation.....so likely to be slow transit / wind as others have said.....but maybe useful to others.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8