Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: So tired from lack of sleep - mostly due to hot flushes  (Read 1285 times)

rbaylis

So tired from lack of sleep - mostly due to hot flushes
« on: February 20, 2017, 08:59:41 PM »

Can anyone give me some perspective. I'm 52 and supposedly peri menopausal. My family has a strong history of breast cancer so I am a bit cautious about taking pheostrogen supplements to help with the flushes. In recent desperation I have been taking Tamazapan but I know this is not a long term solution and I still wake up because of the flushes anyway. My memory is suffering badly and I am struggling at work.  I also have barretts oesophogus which becomes exacerbated by the lack of sleep. So, I have discussed HRT with my GP and it was concluded that this wasn't suitable because the introduction of oestrogen into my system would be too risky because of the breast cancer developing.  I have bought some Kalms to try out but would really appreciate some ideas as to how to tackle this before I go completely bananas. 

cubagirl

Re: So tired from lack of sleep - mostly due to hot flushes
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 09:07:23 PM »

Hi there & welcome. Know nothing of Barrett's oesophagus, but know about lack of sleep.

My GP gave me mild sleeping pills for a week to break the cycle.  However, it was short lived.  I no longer work, but sympathise with trying to keep going. It's well nigh impossible.

Relaxation music might help with sleep, though not with flushes.  Apart from HRT not sure what to suggest. Maybe someone else on here will be able to give you more advice.

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 03:37:19 PM »

Hi rbaylis

:welcomemm:

I am sorry to hear about your history of breast cancer - I presume this is your mother or sister maybe? I think your risk of developing this depends on how many relatives have had the disease and at what age - coupled with genetic factors.

I really would not take Temazepam regularly though - from what I understand this is strongly addictive and once you start taking it regularly it is extremely difficult to come off it.

If you cannot take HRT and have been advised against it by your doctors, then there are other prescribed medications that may help with flushes and sweats and therefore enable you to sleep. They are listed in this section of the website: http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/prescribed.php

In addition there are other ways to help lessen the incidence of flushes - reducing weight to healthy BMI (if overweight), reducing caffeine, alcohol and spicy foods, increasing exercise, and trying to make changes to your lifestyle to reduce stress if possible. There are various products that may help eg specific duvets, sleepwear fabrics, cooling pillows and fans etc - I can't advise on these but maybe start another post in the alternatives section as I know these have been discussed before - there are also threads too but I couldn't remember where - so best to start a new one!

Hurdity x

samweller161

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 03:41:17 PM »

I've just purchased a Chillow (chilly pillow) from Amazon and I have to say it does seem to help with temperature control - of course this may be all in the mind but they are not very expensive and might help with the night sweats?

SP x

ancient runner

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2017, 03:12:04 PM »

Have you had a look at the alternative remedies board? I think people talk about something called macafem as being good.

rbaylis

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2017, 05:55:29 PM »

Thank you all for your advice....i will look at alternative remedies and research the "chillow"..... Will keep you posted with developments.

The Tamazapan has to be dropped..... I usually take it only when desperate.....I'm seeing my GP next week to discuss all of this. 

Thanks again x