Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Severe insomnia again!  (Read 14319 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Severe insomnia again!
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2017, 07:08:55 PM »

This sleepness is YOUR problem.  They have help with their own  ;)

My mind would race so fast that I couldn't tie down topics it went through, DH asked me once 'what keeps you awake?' but it wasn't ever 1 item.  The more I tried to quiet it down the more thoughts would rush in  ::)

coldethyl

« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2017, 08:10:39 PM »

Dazned its good to read that you have had bad insomnia for a very long time and still alive and kicking. I could not believe it today I picked up a magazine and inside was an article about how lack of sleep causes everything from dementia to cancer! 

I know its stupid but the thought that keeps me awake is " what if I can never fall asleep without drugs ever again".  Last friday I slept well and was happy as larry on saturday thinking great I have cracked it then sat night was wide awake all night again. That put me back down into the worry pit.

The day I suddenly think " sod this I don't care if I sleep or not " I will go back to normal but its getting that mindset >:(

That sounds very much like a close friend of mine who ended up on verge of a breakdown post chemo and radiotherapy for BC when she discovered hubby had embarked on an affair whilst he lived away for work - after a long stressful period she just couldn't sleep at night and would nap during day instead which made things worse and she became quite convinced she'd never steel again which fed her inability to shut off and sleep. In end they prescribed mitrazapine for a short time as it had a sedative effect along with the anti anxiety / depression effect. Just breaking the cycle gave her confidence in her body's ability to do the sleeping thing. That said my mum has terrible sleep problems and has had for years post meno - now she just accepts that her sleep comes in chunks of odd hours so she'll sleep maybe 12 till 2 then 6 - 9 - not ideal but she finds a glass of wine at bedtime while reading calms her and gives her a better night's sleep though she only dares do this few times a week.
You have my sympathy as the few nights I've had on chemo treatment when I'm on steroids have seen me awake every two hrs and it is dreadful x

CLKD

« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2017, 08:13:52 PM »

Well steroid treatment won't help! ...... it made my dog hungry  ::) so she was up/down all evening and through the night. 

'what if' is really controlling.  When I was withdrawing from medication each time the side effects started it was 'what if I never get off this drug'  -  but I did. 

countrybumpkin

« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2017, 09:52:20 PM »

My husband just said in answer to the what if - its so what! 

I tried mitrazapine about 3 yrs ago and it zonked me out for 3 days, could barely keep my eyes open but then the sedative effect wore off ::)  I then got severe acid reflux and had to give up after 2 weeks plus terrible twitchy legs, both known side effects.
I have hiatus hernia and keep it under control with strict diet and ranitidine but all anti depres medication gives me bad acid - typical!

Ah the rushing newsreel in your head whilst you lie there like a rigid plank with the ever present " what if" :o

coldethyl

« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2017, 10:51:26 PM »

My husband just said in answer to the what if - its so what! 

I tried mitrazapine about 3 yrs ago and it zonked me out for 3 days, could barely keep my eyes open but then the sedative effect wore off ::)  I then got severe acid reflux and had to give up after 2 weeks plus terrible twitchy legs, both known side effects.
I have hiatus hernia and keep it under control with strict diet and ranitidine but all anti depres medication gives me bad acid - typical!

Ah the rushing newsreel in your head whilst you lie there like a rigid plank with the ever present " what if" :o

Your hubby is right with the " so what." I  have spent my life worrying about everything from cot deaths to meningitis , from money and losing home because of farm debts, from dying of brian tumour to heart attacks. I believed worrying would make it easier if it happened as I'd be ready and had already a experienced the emotions attached to those experiences . I also worried about getting ovarian cancer . When it happened, do you know, nothing prepared me for it. Not all that what iffing or thinking how I'd cope or feel - all that worrying did was make what should have been a happy life with my son and husband a miserable one and now when I'm faced with genuine uncertainty about the future , I feel as if my ability to cope has already been exhausted ( oh and reading that stress has been shown to exacerbate spread etc  just made me beat myself up a bit more!) when the what ifs strike, try visualising sticking two fingers up at them and saying you'll deal with them if they arise and not before. If you can formulate a quick plan to deal with the issue then I tend to think that they are a genuine problem otherwise if you are sucked into a whirl of thoughts that just twist and turn like a labyrinth , then they are much more likely to be an illusion created by your stressed mind and body. All you can do is try and find ways of coping , like practising sone mindfulness, gentle breathing exercises, nice warm baths etc. When I can't sleep I tell myself that I'm still doing myself sone good just being in bed resting. That's what my mother used to say whenever I said I wasn't tired and I couldn't sleep and I hear her voice in my head when I think it. I hope you get a better night tonight x
P

marras

« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2017, 01:06:13 PM »

My sympathies are with you CB. Not sleeping is awful. Has the doctor tried you on Amitryptline? I take 10mg a night and I generally get a good night's sleep. It's a good little drug which has been around for years and it's cheap too so GPs don't mind prescribing it.

CLKD

« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2017, 01:07:09 PM »

Sleep heals  ::) but when I am unable to sleep, I tell myself that my body at least is resting.  Last night I was sleeping on my belly and could feel wind rolling round, bad enough to wake me  :o then I worried about it.  Himself muttered 'peas' and went back to sleep  ;).  However I had to read for a couple of hours then was awake for ages ......... too cold to get out of bed to enter on here though  :-X

countrybumpkin

« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2017, 08:20:01 PM »

My sympathies are with you CB. Not sleeping is awful. Has the doctor tried you on Amitryptline? I take 10mg a night and I generally get a good night's sleep. It's a good little drug which has been around for years and it's cheap too so GPs don't mind prescribing it.

All anti dep give me severe acid reflux as same as mitrazipine sadly. I know loads of people who take amiltry and it helps them sleep but I could not take it.

CLKD

« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2017, 08:21:22 PM »

I find that when I take my ADs etc. to late to laying down at night, heart burn is almost instant  :o.  Last night it was peas  :-X

countrybumpkin

« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2017, 08:25:26 PM »

coldethyl - I really understood your post as i too have spent my life worrying about everything and realised  how all my life had been blighted by this. Generally I am massive amount better since I hit menopause strangely, but not sleeping is the last of the triggers for me. Most of the time I can live by the enjoy each day you have, but sometimes it deserts me ::)

ckld - wind/peas made me laugh. What is it with you and peas ;D ;D

I slept as i usually do last night  - woke up every 3 hrs but thats normal for me.

My late friends husband emailed me today to say he had gone to Dr becuase he cannot sleep and was given 28 days sleeping pills.

CLKD

« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2017, 08:27:42 PM »

Does your friend's husband know to take them as necessary?  I find that 2-3 nights then a couple of night's break helps me.  At least I know that I'm going to get good quality sleep when I take the medication.  Maybe suggest relaxation therapy to him?

flutterby

« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2017, 08:34:23 PM »

Went on YouTube and looked at Dr Andrew Weill's breathing exercise for sleep. Have done it during the day going to see if it works tonight. Had bad night last night, even with Camomile tea, magnesium tablet, lavender and a paracetamol.

CLKD

« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2017, 08:35:40 PM »

Nurofen has worked for me occasionally.  Unless my brain is whirring ........

flutterby

« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2017, 08:43:34 PM »

Can't take anything with Ibuprofen in it sadly, which is a swine as I'm sure it would be far better for the leg pain than paracetamol

countrybumpkin

« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2017, 10:15:46 PM »

Will have a look at the breathing exercises.

Late friends husband said that Dr told him to take them for no longer than 14 days straight and then tail them off over next few weeks.  Amazed he got 28 tablets as my Dr won't give more than 14 at a time.  He didn't know about nytol either so I suggested he buy some to keep in so that once he has stopped the sleeping pills he can at least try nytol - they are not as quick as sleeping pills but I have found they do work just alot slower.  He knows not to take them together or to have any alcohol either!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5