Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Loss of taste & smell  (Read 8077 times)

Cazikins

Loss of taste & smell
« on: March 08, 2017, 03:24:11 PM »

I have had a stinker of a cold for about 5 days now & it really had me laid low.
Since yesterday afternoon I have lost all sense of my taste buds & smell.

My lovely dinner last night of egg, chips & sausages was a complete waste of time, I might just have well eaten dog food.

Does anyone know how long before it comes back? - I've never had it before.

Cazi x
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 08:40:20 PM by Cazikins »

Megamind

Re: Loss of taste & smell
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 04:21:49 PM »

I had it during a virus about five years ago. It's an awful feeling isn't it?  I would say mine took about 2-3 weeks to return but my virus lasted 8 weeks.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 04:34:40 PM »

It's awful, we rely on smell and taste so much when eating or checking for danger .  I lost my smell and taste for about 3 days when I had a virus in May.

I also lost my senses when I took The Pill, I could smell garbage but nowt else  :-X
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 06:13:53 PM by CLKD »

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 06:09:12 PM »

My sense of smell (and taste) seems to have deteriorated anyway - not sure why? I still have it but probably only half strength so to speak. Maybe an age thing or something hormonal or genetic? Very annoying! Doc wasn't interested.

Hurdity x

Cazikins

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2017, 08:49:45 PM »

I have just found this Info here: http://www.stylecraze.com/articles/natural-remedies-for-loss-of-taste-and-smell/#gref

I'm not sure I want to try too many of them though  ::)

1 - A common cause of losing one's sense of taste and smell is aging. When you age, degeneration of nerve cells that control taste and smell buds occurs.
2 - Excessive smoking is another major cause of this problem.
3 -Certain diseases of the nervous system and nutritional deficiencies can also cause you to lose your sense of taste and smell.
4 -Sinusitis, blocked nasal passages, fever, gum infections and upper or viral respiratory diseases are problems that cause a loss of taste and smell.
5 -You can also lose your sense of taste and smell when you undergo radiation therapy.

1: Castor Oil:
Warm some castor oil in a microwave for a few seconds.
Put 1 drop of the warm oil in each nostril.
Do this twice daily, in the morning and before going to bed.
Repeat until you regain your sense of smell and taste

2: Garlic
Your sense of smell and taste can be restored with garlic. It effectively helps in clearing nasal congestion and opening up nasal passages that are blocked. All you need to do is chop 2 or 3 cloves and boil them in a cup of water. Once it has boiled, let it simmer for about 10 minutes. Drink the mixture while it is warm. Do this 2 to 3 times daily to regain your sense of smell.

3. Ginger:
This is another wonderful remedy for loss of taste and smell. It helps in activating your taste buds and stimulates your sense of taste. You can treat your problem by chewing small bits of raw ginger regularly and drinking ginger tea.

4. Cayenne Pepper:
If you have lost your sense of taste and smell due to sinusitis, cayenne pepper is the solution for you. Capsaicin, its active compound, helps in reducing nasal congestion. Saliva production is also stimulated, and this in turn improves taste. A mixture of a teaspoon each of cayenne pepper and honey taken a couple of times every day will help in loosening up mucus and stimulates secretion. Black pepper is also an excellent stimulator for taste buds.

5. Steam Inhalation:
Inhaling steam can work wonders when your tasting and smelling powers are affected by nasal congestion. The warm and moist steam will help in clearing out blockages in the nasal passage and reducing inflammation. Add a few drops of eucalyptus or peppermint essential oil to boiling water and inhale the steam. Doing this 2 times a day will help immensely.

6. Lemon:
The citrus flavor and fragrance of lemons can help in restoring your sense of taste and smell. It is also rich in Vitamin C, which is essential to keep infections and diseases away as it boosts your body's immunity (1). Mix the juice of one lemon and 2 teaspoons of honey in a glass of warm water and drink it twice a day. Eating a small piece of lemon (fresh or pickled) between meals can also help in stimulating your taste buds.

7. Bentonite Clay:
You can use a special blend of herbs and bentonite clay to treat loss of taste and smell. Use the mixture in your bath water every day. This has been known to be highly effective in restoring the sense of taste and smell for some people. It is worth a try.

8. Apple Cider Vinegar:
Although apple cider vinegar has a taste that is sour and acidic; it is an excellent taste bud stimulator. It is also an excellent remedy for sinus infections. To restore your sense of taste and smell, drink half a glass of water with a mixture of a tablespoon of this vinegar (raw and unfiltered) and ¼ teaspoon of baking soda twice a day.

9. Oil Pulling:
Oil pulling is an ancient Ayurvedic practice that is known to help in treating loss of smell and taste as it moistens your taste buds. It also helps in removing toxins from your mouth and body. You can use sesame oil, coconut oil or other edible oils for oil pulling. Take a tablespoon of your preferred oil and swish it around your mouth thoroughly for about 15 minutes. Rinse your mouth with warm water after spitting the oil out. Do this daily in the morning before you eat anything.

10. Carom Seeds:
Carom seeds have anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties, which make it an excellent cleansing agent (2). It also eliminates infection, reduces swelling and clears and opens blocked pathways. Make a small sachet with a teaspoon of carom seeds tied in a piece of thin cloth. Heat the sachet and inhale the fumes. Do this 2 to 3 times every night before you go to bed.

11. Cinnamon:
Ayurvedic practice uses cinnamon as a natural treatment for loss of taste and smell. Its powerful flavor acts as a stimulator for the taste buds while its sweet aroma helps in enhancing your sense of smell. To use this remedy, take equal amounts of powdered cinnamon and honey and rub the mixture on your tongue. Leave it on for about 10 minutes and then rinse your mouth with warm water.

12. Foods Rich In Zinc:
Zinc-deficiency is known to be a major cause of loss of taste and smell (3). You should eat more foods that are rich in this mineral to treat your problem. Zinc supplements are also another option. Whole grains, dairy products, nuts, beans, oysters, etc. should be added to your daily diet. If you are planning to take a supplement, talk to your doctor before doing so.

13. Mint:
This herb is a wonderful natural remedy if you have lost your sense of taste and smell. All you need to do is add a tablespoon of fresh mint leaves to a cup of water. Cover the cup and let the leaves steep in the water for half an hour. Strain and then drink the mixture two times every day.

14. Curry Leaves:
Another remedy that you can try out is curry leaves. All you need to do is take a handful of curry leaves that have been crushed. Add them to a glass of water and let it sit for half an hour or so. Once 30 minutes are up, strain the leaves and drink the mixture. Do this twice a day every day to restore your sense of taste and smell.

15. Drink Plenty Of Water:
As you know, drinking plenty of water is important for overall health. To treat loss of taste and smell, drink a glass of water every hour or so to keep your mouth hydrated. This will prevent dry mouth, which can cause you to lose your sense of taste and smell.

You do not need expensive treatments to treat loss of taste and smell. With ingredients that you have right in your kitchen, you can use safe and natural remedies to treat the problem and regain your ability to enjoy different flavors and fragrances.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 08:52:40 PM by Cazikins »

Redcat

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 11:55:32 PM »

I've had a reduced sense of smell for years.  I think it was originally affected when I was a smoker in my early 30s.   But maybe it was after I had mild concussion around the same time, I'm not sure.  But then I was really robbed of it after giving up cigarettes, when I had a sinusitis type condition for about 6 months and started using nasal spray.  I think I used the nasal spray for about four or five months.  It must have destroyed something in my nose because now I have limited smell and the only time that has changed is when I've had to take corticosteroids for a serious allergic reaction. So that would imply I have chronic swelling or something inside. 

I am sure it has gotten worse since peri started.  When I wake I often can't smell anything for a while.    I can still smell potentially dangerous things such as smoke or burnt food or gas, but it really does take the enjoyment out of life to lose bits and pieces of your senses.   I had absolutely no sense of smell during the sinusitis and that's really weird - you do have to make sure to wash really well and you have to worry if you pass wind because you don't know if it will be a smelly one!  The only good thing is that you can't smell the bad stuff on other people :)

I will definitely try that caster oil remedy.