Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Vitamin D Question.  (Read 7267 times)

Elizabethrose

Re: Vitamin D Question.
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2017, 09:13:12 AM »

Had dinner with a group of medic pals last night and discussed this dazned. They wholeheartedly agreed that Vit D should be supplemented in the UK especially by those at risk i.e.,those who are pale skinned and can't be exposed, those with digestive problems, their risk lists were rather long!

dahliagirl

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2017, 10:14:50 AM »

I have been taking the 25iu/ 1000 iu for about 3 years now and definitely seen benefits.  If I stop taking them, I hurt/ache and my neck aches/hurts too so that I can't sit and watch the television.

My husband has an autoimmune condition.  When he had vit D tested, it was lower than mine.  He took it for the time he was on bisphosphonates, but now won't take it.  He thinks a midday walk round the block is enough - it didn't work before.  :-X  :hotflash: It is tempting to spray vit D on  his dinner when he isn't looking  ::)  There is only so much sardine you can slip into things.

Elizabethrose

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2017, 10:30:48 AM »

You do make me laugh dahliagirl! Maybe you should start serving up the sardines three times a day, that might persuade him to get back to the tabs!  :barf:

My aches and pains have definitely improved since taking the supplement. They quickly kick back in if I stop. x

dahliagirl

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2017, 11:00:30 AM »

Pilchard curry on the patio this bank holiday ;)  (It does not help that every so often you get publicity about it all being a fad)

I am sure it is hard to get the vit D even in the summer here.  I live in a dry part of the country and it is lovely in the summer when you can sit out, go out for walks, and wear your sun hat.  But in between, there are a lot of dull, cloudy (windy) days.  Some years, like last year, the tomatoes are late to ripen.  It is hard to predict.  You end up nipping in and out for the washing etc, but spending far too long indoors.  When you go shopping, it is in the car, and out into the shop at the other end.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 11:02:01 AM by dahliagirl »

Mbrown001

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2017, 01:29:43 PM »

My hubby won't take supplements either. Something needs to be dropping off before he would even notice  ???

Sparkle.....I've to get tested again at the end of the summer which will be a year since I started taking the supplement.
Have to admit is was a bit of a surprise to get prescribe this at all. I had asked my GP previously to get tested and got the thumbs down. Due to cost cutting I think.
It wasn't until I went to a rheumatologist and had masses of blood tests done at the hospital that it came to light. I then got a call from the GP to tell me the results.

Getting tested annually seems to be the norm I think.

Mrs Brown

dahliagirl

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2017, 03:26:02 PM »

It  interesting that rheumatologists are more likely to routinely test for it - that is how my husband's was found.  Mine was because I thought I was getting arthritis and the practice nurse told me to ask GP for a blood test for it.

babyjane

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2017, 05:15:20 PM »

I agree and my endo advised me to supplement, however I cannot tolerate high levels.  I was the same with calcium and ended up with hypercalcaemia.  So at the moment I take 600iu a day.  My levels are not brilliant but they are ok and better than they used to be.

I think it is just too simplistic to say just get out in the sun as it isn't sunny every day anyway and lots of us couldn't spend enough time in it unprotected without risking melanomas.

Sarai

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2017, 03:39:20 PM »

Sparkle can you please tell me what make you have please?

Lisa

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2017, 09:19:25 PM »

Hi, my rheumatologist recently told me that taking vitamin D twice a day during the winter months is advisable (I've got early state osteo.) along with calcium also twice a day.  During the summer months in the UK, the sun gives us most of the required amount of vitamin D and only one tablet should be required.  We're all different, of course, but this might help.
Pages: 1 [2]