Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Different types of HRT  (Read 2065 times)

Lisa

Different types of HRT
« on: April 29, 2017, 04:04:13 PM »

Hi, this is my first time on Menopause Forum so hopefully I'm posting in the correct area.  I've tried two types of HRT (Fem Seven Conti and Evorei - both in the form of patches.  Both are effective in that they stop my hourly hot flushes which have been going on for 11 years.  However, both types give me very sore and enlarged breasts and as I had a breast reduction when I was in my 20s, larger breasts are the last thing I want!  And anyway it's very uncomfortable.  Does anyone have experience with another type of patch which may not have the same efffect, please?  I do appreciate that everyone is different ... thank you.

dazned

Re: Different types of HRT
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2017, 05:09:17 PM »

:welcomemm:

Tell us some more about yourself,age,what are/were your periods doing re frequency etc this will help us help you  ;)

Lisa

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2017, 09:15:20 PM »

Early sixties.  Periods were normal right up to the end!  No other issues re. menopause other than the never-ending hourly flushes.  I put up with the flushes for over 10 years, then I gave up ... couldn't take them anymore so went on HRT but stopped after about three months, gave my body a rest, then tried the 2nd make of patches.  Currently giving my body a rest again, but because of early stage osteoperosis it's probably wise to go back on to HRT again - at least for a while - which is why I'm looking into a 3rd type of patches which will hopefully not include the sore and bigger breasts!   I'm not taking any medication for the osteo. other than calcium and vitamin D.  I've checked with a rheumatologist and it's not necessary for me to take medication for another couple of years at least, when I'll need to have another dexa scan to see if there's been any deterioration.  I don't like taking any form of medication for anything.  Hope this info. helps.  Thank you.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2017, 09:59:00 PM »

Hi Lisa
It tends to be progesterone that makes the breasts sore.  Being on a continuous (non bleed) HRT involves using progesterone all the time and will tend to make breasts bigger and more tender. This effect often settles after a few months. Usually going on HRT reawakens everything so the body has to adjust. I'm afraid all progesterones will have this effect.
Having a Mirena fitted may be an option as less progesterone is absorbed systemically, so usually fewer side effects. Once the Mirena is in place you can use oestrogen as patches or gel. I had a Mirena in post meno and didn't get sore breasts. DG x

Lisa

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2017, 11:33:36 AM »

Thank you, "Dancinggirl".  Such a great help.  Very grateful to you.  I shall persevere with the patches and will look into Mirena ... something I'd never heard about up to today!

Dancinggirl

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2017, 05:46:19 PM »

Look under TREATMENTs at the top of this page - under PROGESTERONES you will find info on the Miena. DG x

Lisa

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2017, 07:45:15 PM »

Will do.  Thank you.