Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Horrible cold/throat bug doing the rounds  (Read 13996 times)

littleminnie

Re: Horrible cold/throat bug doing the rounds
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2016, 08:07:34 PM »

This is my first day without paracetamol. Hot/cold spells gone, aching & headache gone. Still coughing, but not as bad. Went to supermarket yesterday with OH, had a coughing fit & almost through up so came back.  :(
Appetite still not back.

countrybumpkin

« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2016, 09:51:00 PM »

This is my first day without paracetamol. Hot/cold spells gone, aching & headache gone. Still coughing, but not as bad. Went to supermarket yesterday with OH, had a coughing fit & almost through up so came back.  :(
Appetite still not back.

How long since you first started with this?
I had the first symptoms of " I am getting a cold" 10 days ago but the bad throat started 4 days later and the cough then.

Megamind

« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2016, 10:56:33 PM »

Sounds like you might have a chest infection now Countrybumpkin.

littleminnie

« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2016, 08:47:28 AM »

Mine started on Sat 12th.   It started with a cough and scratchy throat. (Not sore though).

countrybumpkin

« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2016, 11:44:14 AM »

Littleminnie, snap my first I think I am getting a cold started on 12th but the throat didn't start till 14th.

My weekend slight temp has gone back to normal and only green is from one side of my nose. My cough is spectacular though, if I start coughing its like having whooping cough without the whoop, quite scary as its hard to get a breath in. Sadly I am very prone to this type of cough just haven't had one for 4 years so its a nasty surprise.
I know others are saying the cough is bad enough to make you sick.  I still have mild ear ache.

I was going to go back to Dr today but their phone system was out of action this morning and when it was working again it has been constantly engaged so no chance of seeing anyone today. I have managed to get an app via computer access for tomorrow afternoon though. 

So lets hope lungs are clear and ear is not an infection because otherwise it will be the antibiotics and then the thrush treatment ::) ::)

Charlotte ...

« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2016, 01:41:41 PM »

Two weeks? Oh no, I'm on day, 5, have lost my voice, and all the other symptoms mentioned above,ho hum, it's the hacking cough, @CLKD I love your description ' couched myself inside out' :-\ ;D

countrybumpkin

« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2016, 03:05:08 PM »

Hi Charlotte, I too was thinking at day 5, well I will start to turn a corner in a day or so and my husband who had started with it a week before me just laughed at me ::)

For me today the cough is the worst although I am now finally coughing up loads of gunk thats not nasty coloured and I have mild earache as I have had from the start. The sinus pain has finally eased as has the contacnt low grade headache but I feel really waffy headed if I stand up and move around too much.

My husband is a reall workaholic always on the go and he is doing as little as possible 17 days after he first started with this!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2016, 04:25:18 PM »

This cough is across the UK and hanging on a bit.  We both still have an irritating 'clearing of throat' long after the virus has flown on.  If you don't feel 'ill' as such, accept?  :-\ ?  It will run it's course.  I knew I didn't have a chest infection because I wasn't wheezy ……. use Vic Vapour Rub or similar or sit over a bowl of hot water and vinegar or a medication: ask the local Pharmacist.

countrybumpkin

« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2016, 04:49:13 PM »

At moment we both still feel a bit ill and to be honest I do not want to out in public if I have one of my coughing fits, very like a whooping cough attack without the whoop ::) and would be so embarrasing so will stay hiding until it improves a bit.

The vicks vapour was too strong and made me cough myself silly with the fumes, I am doing lots of head over steam though.

IT does seem to be nationwide though and taking a long time to get the cough to improve.

CLKD

« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2016, 07:17:03 PM »

Oh have a  :bighug: and  :foryou:

It will pass.  Once I began to recover I got better quickly.  When I had it a 2nd time, it didn't last as long, nor did I cough as much!

countrybumpkin

« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2016, 07:21:33 PM »

:o :o :o A second time!!   

CLKD

« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2016, 07:24:40 PM »

Yep  ;D

littleminnie

« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2016, 08:35:45 AM »

Omg, I don't want it again.  :bang:

countrybumpkin

« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2016, 11:36:48 AM »

Well went back to Dr today and nope I do not need antibiotics. My lungs are still clear with no wheeze or crackling and she gave me a very good listen.  She said the viral inflammation of your airways takes 4 weeks to settle down and the killer cough should improve at 3-4 weeks :(

My ear is now fine.  My brown bloody one sided nose stuff she said I have a big sore in my nose so I have been given antibiotic cream for that and told not to blow it which is difficult as at every coughing fit my nose streams!

She said don't waste your money on cough medicines as none of them will help. Try and avoid temp changes and cold food /drink and try as much as possible not to give in to the maddening irritation in the throat and cough. Most of the time thats impossible as its the only way to breathe!

She said she wished she had a magic potion for this very nasty virus but unless they can hear a chest infection antibiotics would just be a waste and not speed up recovery.

So as now 2 different Drs have said my lungs are fine I just have to believe them at 2am when I am coughing my lungs up ???

littleminnie

« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2016, 12:18:56 PM »

This is by far the worst cold/virus I have had for a very long time.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5