Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Tick bites and Lyme Disease  (Read 7560 times)

Hurdity

Re: Tick bites and Lyme Disease
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2016, 07:50:30 PM »

Thanks for asking CLKD - I am fine and always have been ie the bite is just itchy and I haven't had flu-like sympotms -  just a couple of days of swollen glands which could have just been my immune system fighting off some other bug. I am just a bit concerned about whether I may or may not be in the future due to difficulties in early diagnosis, and also the discrepancy in advice between different areas of the country. The nurse was following protocols (NICE, CKS, Public Health England) - CLKD - I thought you would be pleased - I went to the nurse which you are always advising!!! I am umming and ahhing about whether to go to doc next week (which will be the fourth week since the tick bites).

Maryjane why ABs particularly at my age?

I think mine was attached for about 24 hours but if a bit of its jaw was left in as the nurse says, then it's been there longer - but not alive though.

CLKD - killing them with alcohol can also cause them to regurgitate contents of their salivary glands which could contain the bacterium - and so this method of removal (which we used!) is also now out of favour.

Also I don't think pharmacists can prescribe ABs can they? if so then that's much easier than making a doc appt! A vet though  :o ......  ;D ;D.

Maryjane I love the idea of antibiotics as percussion - great predictive text there  ;D

Anyway thanks again all for your comments and ideas.

Hurdity x

Dana

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2016, 12:23:05 AM »

Interesting topic, because this is a very contentious issue in Australia. The authorities refuse to accept that Lyme disease exists here, because there has never been any scientific proof, yet many people suffer from the symptoms. Some have even resorted to going overseas for radical treatment.

There was a program on TV just the other night about it. What is interesting is that studies are being done to show that there could be other diseases being carried by ticks that might not necessarily be Lyme, but has the same side effects, so more research definitely needs to be done. I think there was one lady who said you should never try to manually remove them. It is best to use a freezing agent that will kill them instantly so there is no chance of leaving anything behind or them regurgitating. I haven't watched the show fully yet, but here is the link if anyone is interested......

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/insight/article/2016/10/24/how-sick-can-you-get-tick

This is another one I found when I was looking for the link.....

http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/4494187.htm
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 12:33:53 AM by Dana »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2016, 03:35:42 PM »

Hurdity - a Pharmacist can give advice and may be more thorough about suggesting ABs than a GP!

As Lyme can take months to cause problems in some people, why wait until you are ill  :-\.  Talk to a Vet.!

CLKD

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2016, 07:46:33 PM »

Did you seek advice ?  :-\ ?

Hurdity

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2016, 08:34:59 AM »

Thanks CLKD - I phoned yesterday and made an appointment with doctor as a precaution - but couldn't get one until next week! The bite has almost healed now but have had swollen glands which may just be resisting a general infection.

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2016, 05:50:01 PM »

Concerns raised over Lyme disease cases
The incidence of Lyme disease on Uist is far greater than that on neighbouring islands, according to figures gathered by BBC Gaelic News.

25 November 2016

From the section Highlands & Islands
Full article Concerns raised over Lyme disease cases

Machair

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2016, 06:56:54 PM »

I have a house on Uist and I can say honestly that the risk is very real and you must take care there when walking to follow all the guidelines. This summer my dog got 6 ticks on one walk on paths only. Dogs are at risk too and some pass on from the disease there. There is a vaccine for dogs which I would give my dog, but she can't have it due to her having MVD a genetic liver disease.

It is absolutely gorgeous in Uist but the Lyme disease risk is a serious one. I have severe ME but tested positive for Lyme 20 years ago. It was decided then that I did not have it as my symptoms were more akin to post Polio/ Coxsackie B but I often wonder.

Just be aware and careful That would be my advice. The doctors there are very up on symptoms where maybe in others areas they are not.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 09:03:32 AM by Machair »

CLKD

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2016, 10:43:30 PM »

Some GPs still don't believe that Lyme Disease exists!

Advice when walking in the Lakes is to wear long trousers tied up at the ankles or 'over-trousers' which have a pull-to at ankle level.  My dog never had ticks anywhere except up there  ::) and I got to recognise the little blighters in her coat as she was blonde.  The neighbours' cat has had 2 this year and she doesn't venture far, wondering if they are brought into their garden on hedgehogs, foxes or badgers  :-\

So pleased that you enjoy your time on Uist, it's too far a trip for me  ::)

blogfrog

« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2016, 11:43:22 AM »

Hurdity - a Pharmacist can give advice and may be more thorough about suggesting ABs than a GP!

As Lyme can take months to cause problems in some people, why wait until you are ill  :-\.  Talk to a Vet.!

and even years. From what I have read Chinese medicine effectively treats it

CLKD

« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2016, 12:22:25 PM »

???::)

Neighbours' cats have been picking up ticks regularly in recent weeks.  I need to put the trial camera out - we don't have deer in the gardens as far as I am aware as the fences are high and gates locked; a badger cub was in theirs 6 weeks ago, had to be pts and it's surely too late for hedgehogs to be around?

We wait until the tick feeds and falls off, hopefully not in my carpets or on our bed - where one cat is currently snoozing  ::)
Pages: 1 [2]