Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: orthodontics in later life  (Read 9001 times)

Janice68

Re: orthodontics in later life
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2016, 02:35:48 PM »

:rofl:

« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 02:40:35 PM by Janice68 »

ariadne

« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2016, 07:01:46 PM »

Thank you ladies. Sparky my teeth are uncomfortable anyway as the biting surfaces are misaligned and there are certain things I cannot eat and other things I can only eat on one side. A couple of my premolars are so out of line that I think if they are not straightened they will have to eventually come out.

I have an appointment for an assessment in 2 weeks time.

Sounds a bit like my teeth. My jaw is slightly prominent and my teeth dont meet properly.  It has affected my confidence all my life and I was teased at school for being "witchy"  and sniggered at in my teens by some boys. The slightest comment about my face shape or chin would upset me terribly.  I cannot eat chewy things either as it gves me jaw ache and I want to give up eating whatever it is half way through. Strangely, crisps and muesli are two  things I struggle to eat - I guess with the crisps its because I must close my teeth together further because of their thiness.

I was offered the chance to have "something done about my face" when I was 14 by a thoughtless dentist but because of his words I fled the room and didnt return for several years. How I wish I had said yes.

Ariadne xx

dulciana

« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2016, 09:00:44 PM »

Thank you ladies. Sparky my teeth are uncomfortable anyway as the biting surfaces are misaligned and there are certain things I cannot eat and other things I can only eat on one side. A couple of my premolars are so out of line that I think if they are not straightened they will have to eventually come out.

I have an appointment for an assessment in 2 weeks time.

.........I was offered the chance to have "something done about my face" when I was 14 by a thoughtless dentist but because of his words I fled the room and didnt return for several years. How I wish I had said yes.
Ariadne xx

:o  I'm not a bit surprised, Ariadne!!  Honestly, what an awful thing to say to a teenager - to anyone, in fact!  It's quite possible he didn't mean it the way it sounds, but it does sound like the ultimate insult!  I think I'd have fled the room too!

babyjane

« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2016, 08:22:49 AM »

Ariadne would you consider having an orthodontic assessment.  If I can I am sure you could.  I am struggling a bit with the guilt of the possible cost, however I know correction of my bite is not just cosmetic but practical too if I want to keep my teeth into my 60s and beyond and ease my TMJ issues.  My chiropractor advised me about 6 years ago that the only way to really address my TMJ issues is to have my bite corrected. 

ariadne

« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2016, 09:58:32 PM »

I have made two half hearted attempts to do something about it in the last few years.

I told my dentist about the jaw pain I suffer when eating certain foods and he referred me to the maxillo facial unit of our local hospital. The doctor there said he wasnt surprised I suffered pain after examining me but thought a bite riser worn at night would ease the pain as Im pretty sure he thought I ground my teeth at night (i dont) He did say that if I had been younger, an operation on my jaw would have been suggested but that as I was older and as I had "put up with it"  for most of my life, it wasnt really an option.

I wore the bite riser, quite liked it really,  but bit it in half one day 😁 It hadnt made a lot of difference as you couldnt eat with it in and thats when I would get pain.

The second attempt was to ask my dentist for an Invisalign assessment. I just wanted the front teeth straightening top and bottom but he explained that to make the extra room required, my whole mouth would need to be treated and that was just too expensive.

I mentioned to my dentist once that Id be glad when I had to have false teeth as at least they would be straight but she said it would be difficult to fit me with false teeth as my teeth all slope inwards and that I should try and avoid false teeth at all costs.

But on a positive note, although my teeth are not straight, and in spite of their awkward arrangement, I do a really good job of keeping them clean and touch wood, they have never given me any trouble and I cant even remember the last time I had anything other than just a check up and clean.

I know youre right BJ that to have the bite corrected is the only real solution to the pain problem but I just dont have the will to pursue it

Ariadne xx

babyjane

« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2016, 08:44:07 AM »

appointment with the orthodontist for assessment today - eek!!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2016, 01:59:48 PM »

Crikey  :o

Remember that in order to keep the jaw bone healthy the teeth need to be able to bite - bit like brisk walking stops osteoporosis.  Without the bite when talking, chewing etc. the bone recedes which causes the teeth to loosen and eventually fall out or require removal.  A plate of false teeth don't pre from the same action on the jaw bone so there is the possibility that gums will continue to recede.

I am surprised Adriadne that a dental surgeon would suggest that a procedure is 'too expensive' - for whom, patient or the NHS?  I have invested in implants in order to keep my mouth as healthy as possible for as long as possible as I dread a plate.  Most procedures can be paid for in measured instalments.

babyjane

« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2016, 03:23:22 PM »

I don't need braces, well I could have them if I wanted to cough up £3k to have top and bottom braces for 18 months but they are not essential if I am not worried about cosmetic appearance. My bite is not as bad as I had been led to believe by a previous practitioner.  I do not have a cross bite but I do have an open bite which is the result of having a long lower jaw.  Small improvements could be made if I want to go ahead but if not it will not have a detrimental effect on the overall health of my teeth.  I am not about to lose any of my teeth which are strong and healthy, just a bit out of place in a couple of areas.

I am so glad I went, now I know the facts and can stop wondering.  Knowledge is a useful thing to have, especially when you have an anxiety disorder  :)

CLKD

« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2016, 04:30:14 PM »

:thankyou: for the update.  Now you can spend the £3K on something else  ;)  ;D

How was the anxiety leading up to this?

babyjane

« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2016, 04:49:08 PM »

Sadly I don't have 3k to spare.

Anxiety ok, bit jittery and sweaty palms in the waiting room but she was lovely and I felt quite relaxed in the chair.  thanks for asking.

CLKD

« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2016, 04:51:30 PM »

Well done! at least you haven't got to face any further intervention at this moment in time.

babyjane

« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2016, 04:53:25 PM »

no, as I said, knowledge is power, or something like that  :)

ariadne

« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2016, 10:01:35 PM »

Crikey  :o

I am surprised Adriadne that a dental surgeon would suggest that a procedure is 'too expensive' - for whom, patient or the NHS?  I have invested in implants in order to keep my mouth as healthy as possible for as long as possible as I dread a plate.  Most procedures can be paid for in measured instalments.

He didnt say it was too expensive,  he said as I had put up with it for most of my life,  he thought it not an option I would want to put myself through.  At least thats what I took him to mean.

3k would have been the cost of the invisalign braces for me too BJ.

Im glad you have had your consultation and learned that things are better than you had been previously led to believe.   :)

Ariadne xx

blogfrog

« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2016, 12:04:58 PM »

3k would have been the cost of the invisalign braces for me too BJ.
Dental (implants) treatment at overseas clinics might be the option for those who look for reasonable prices. But undergoing dental treatment abroad has benefits (you can save money and pay a fraction of price that you would pay in yr country) and risks (eg poorly done dental work) But if you do "your homework" well and double check dental clinics and/or dentists (eg visiting discussion boards, reading reviews of current users, publications, visiting dedicated sites for dental implants treatment, etc) or use the service of reliable medical operators, that offer you tailored in-depth advice on yr treatment abroad then you can get highest quality treatment for very good value.
Pages: 1 2 [3]