Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: What alternative therapies have helped you  (Read 17854 times)

englishrose

What alternative therapies have helped you
« on: April 18, 2016, 01:10:10 PM »

What alternative therapies/vitamins have helped you if you choose not to use hrt or unable to. No hrt is best on this thread please as looking at alternatives.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: What alternative therapies have helped you
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 02:09:45 PM »

Have you read through the previous threads?

I think it depends on how badly a lady suffers with the various issues that 'the Change' can bring.  I have been lucky.  We have always eaten a healthy, usually basic home-cooked grub from when we were born.  We exercised a lot as families had 1 car until more recently, so it was walking or cycling and of course, the dreaded P.E. in School  >:(

Keeping a journal can be useful to note pros, cons, symptoms etc.. 

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 04:06:29 PM »

Mindful Meditation really helped me during my time without HRT.  I can strongly recommend it.  Dg x

englishrose

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 06:01:04 PM »

Mindful meditation does sound a very positive thing to do. Just reading my mindfulness in 6 weeks book. Just haven't found the key to what it actually is.....I know that sounds silly

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2016, 06:02:12 PM »

Concentrating on how you feel whilst relaxing?  Yoga can be helpful too.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2016, 08:50:41 AM »

englishrose - I have found that the Mindfulness has changed the way I think.  I can more easily retreat into a place where the fatigue and stress is not dominating the way I feel.  Focusing in the right way, putting life into better perspective and actually allowing relaxation to travel through you in a positive way.  It does take time and practise to really feel the benefit and it won't help everything.  I do think we need to value relaxation more. DG x

englishrose

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2016, 05:12:31 PM »

Booked up to see ruby wax talk about mindfullness

Dulciana

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2016, 07:53:55 PM »

Using magnesium spray at bedtime gives me a better night's sleep.  I was slightly sceptical at first but I've had some really restful sleeps since using it.

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2016, 02:36:16 PM »

Enjoy the Ruby Wax experience.  Discuss?

Dulciana

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2016, 03:40:04 PM »

Dulciana - How much magnesium spray do you use?  It would be super to get a good nights sleep. 

Hasty - I use two or three sprays on to my midriff area and a couple on to my chest, then massage it well in.  On the bottle, it says you can spray it on whichever part of the body you prefer.  It also tells you to make sure you have clean wet or dry skin, so after bath/shower seems to be best.

If I wake up in the middle of the night, I just give one more little spray and usually get right back to sleep. 

I would just add that massaging it in with the palm of my hand made the skin there go a bit flaky, but that hasn't happened since I've been massaging it in with my fingertips instead.  I suppose there's more oil in the fingertips.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 03:48:04 PM by Dulciana »

babyjane

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2016, 05:56:24 PM »

I found St John's Wort extremely helpful for stabilising moods and I used it for over 5 years.  you have to be careful with it as it can affect other medications so always best to check with a pharmacist first.

bramble

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2016, 06:28:21 PM »

Have tried a host of alternatives. Only thing I would recommend is my Bioflow bracelet for my aches and pains.

Bramble

Hurdity

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2016, 09:54:41 AM »

What alternative therapies/vitamins have helped you if you choose not to use hrt or unable to. No hrt is best on this thread please as looking at alternatives.

Hi englishrose

Are you the same Englishrose who left and has then come back? I'm not sure what specifically you are looking at alternative therapies for but as you know there is a whole section on the website about these  if you look at the top tabs "Treatments".

Depending on what you are looking for - asking individuals what worked for them won't give you an idea of what might work for you especially if there is no evidence that a particular treatment worked using scientific trials. However there are some prescribed alternatives to HRT for hot flushes that are known to work - or have strong evidence that they do - and these should be your first port of call if this is what you want?

If you look at the British Menopause Society website they produced an excellent news item late last year reviewing the alternative (to HRT) treatments for hot flushes specifically and you can read it here:
http://www.thebms.org.uk/newsitem.php?newsid=85

The information is based on a North American Menopause Society review published in their journal: http://www.menopause.org/docs/default-source/professional/pap-pdf-meno-d-15-00241-minus-trim-cme.pdf

You will be able to identify which treatments have strong evidence that they are effective and then you can see what others on here report about them!

Hope this helps :)

Hurdity x

Dulciana

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2016, 01:42:41 PM »

I'm in the hugely lucky position of having an interest that takes me right out of my meno feelings and into a zone where the blues are left far behind.  My worst times, certainly mentally, are usually those when I sit and over-think or start brooding about this and that - go in on myself, in other words.   I read something somewhere that described this sort of "therapy" as an activity where you loose all track of time, and I know exactly what they meant.   Can anyone else tell us about an activity that you're able to use as a sort of self-discovered "therapy" ?    I'd love to know!   :)
Dulciana
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 01:53:18 PM by Dulciana »

Kate50

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2016, 01:59:31 PM »

Best therapy I did was analytical hypnotherapy had done NLP and EFT before this. Have used meditation acupuncture and homeopathy for about 20 years. I walk the dog every day and do a little pilates.  Don't go to work take a few vitamins and keep an eye on my bowel movements have been taught all about the bowel through alternative stuff I've done.  Still can't replace oestrogen though! ! 
Pages: [1] 2 3 4