Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Looking *older* than your age?  (Read 19235 times)

Night_Owl

Looking *older* than your age?
« on: March 08, 2016, 04:19:09 PM »

Never mind 10 years younger!

Seems like I've really aged beyond 53 years, looking much older - had a relatively early meno at 44, the aging process thus kicked in sooner - lost about half my hair so far (+ on-going hair loss), saggy face and jowels, dark eye circles, lost body shape/curves etc etc.  Exercise I know is the answer, but it's hard to give a toss with a face / hair like this.

Do you ever feel that no matter what you do - you can't make yourself look or feel presentable anymore, just downright shabby - and the urge to hide away is ever present?

Maybe it's just me not coping with the aging process ... ?

babyjane

Re: Looking *older* than your age?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2016, 04:54:38 PM »

I have had a struggle to accept that my hair has changed and therefore will not cut or lie like it used to.  It is thinner and straighter and the styles I wore in my 30s/40s no longer work as my very honest hairdresser told me this morning as I keep taking out of date photographs to the salon.  I miss my thick wavy hair and was horrified the other day to see patches of scalp when I pinned it back and a slight receding hairline.

So I gave myself a good talking to.  My health is reasonable, my hair is ok abeit different, my teeth are my own and my skin is good, if a bit creased here and there. I am not overweight and I can scrub up ok if I need to.

I am not in my 30s or 40s and next year I won't be in my 50s either but I have a lot going for me.  So I have given myself a year to get my act together and look at what I do have rather than what I don't have and try to embrace my 60s when they arrive in a year's time.  After all what's the alternative?  I can't turn back time  :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 05:27:49 PM »

It's seeing my Mother staring back from the mirror instead of my Dad : as well as sort of knowing that 'old woman in the shop window' scenario  ::).

For a few years I had hi-lights or dyed my hair, now it's OK if I get a good cut often because the grey is taken out.  I quite like the present colour .  One could try 'extensions' for thinning hair? a good hairdresser will give advice. 

I don't care for my skin particularly well so am surprised that it maintains it's condition.  Both Grannies had good skin ;-).

Ju Ju

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 05:43:12 PM »

I'm lucky that I look a lot younger than my age. I don't always feel it though! I'm almost 62 (in one hours time!) still have blonde hair, bit darker than when I was young (saves a lot on hairdressing costs) reasonable skin, though rosecea has got its grips now.  >:(  And I have a better figure than at any time of my before. Both my parents look years younger, though Mum has to use a walker. Dad doesn't look over 90. More like his late 70s. Both have shrunk in height. It's all in the genes. I haven't done anything different.

Joyce

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2016, 06:06:44 PM »

Today I look about 80 as I feel rubbish, but when I put in the effort with make-up I think I look at least a few years younger, certainly compared to my mum at same age. I get good haircuts every 5 weeks or so. I have fairly thick hair like my mum. I do what I can to keep looking as youthful as I can.

countrybumpkin

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2016, 06:57:19 PM »

I have a friend who is 8 years older than me and I remember that from 50 to 55 her face seemed to age 10 years at least but since then ( she is now 62) she hasn't changed much. I think facial ageing goes in sudden stages as when I was in late 30's I remember getting up one morning and seeing the first sagging of the jawline ( oh how I wish it had stayed like that!).
Now at almost 55 I walk around with a permanent slightly manic grin on my face to hold everything up as if I see myself without a smile I look a right miserable old xxxx!

blossom60

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2016, 08:12:10 PM »

The trick is to add a few years to your age, then everyone says 'how young you look' 8)

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2016, 08:13:20 PM »

Apparently when we reach late 70s early 80s though, we want everyone to know how old we are  ;D

Kathleen

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2016, 08:23:49 PM »

Hello Night_Owl.

Many things about my appearance have changed and \ or headed south but as my complexion has lightened I find dark colours make me look washed out so  I now wear paler shades next to my face.

Back in  the day I was blonde but now my hair is light brown with more and more strands of grey and as hair  grows about half an inch a month I've worked out that this time next year I will be sporting a noticeably grey bob.

I don't want to start dyeing it but a lot of grey hair will be hard to accept!

Wishing you well.

K.

Night_Owl

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2016, 08:25:15 PM »

Definitely it is in the genes.  In the supermarket I've stood behind elderly women and observed more hair than I've ever had!

My dear departed Mum battled for years with Female Pattern Hair Loss and I know this is my fate too.  The week before she passed I remember clearly her saying: "Look at my hair, I look like a mad woman".  Aww, makes me sad.  However, she did look younger than me when she was the same age (from photographs) - she had much better skin quality, right into her 80s.

If your hair is good then you can make yourself feel and look okay - hair loss can be devastating and confidence sapping.  I also have prominent cow licks at the front hairline and back crown - and an unfortunate parting at the back of my head on the left side - when I had more hair, they were less obvious.  hmmppffff.

Tiggergirl, have you tried Fade Out cream.

Always I wear make-up but it doesn't seem to make much difference these days, have all manner of cover-up to try and conceal panda rings.  When recovering from a migraine the other week, OH commented that I looked like a junkie! 

Countrybumpkin, I think you're right there - face aging goes in sudden stages and it has happened dramatically.  Maybe grief has played its part too - lost dear Mum in Sept 2014, now supporting elderly, grieving Dad.

CLKD, I have some extensions that I clip on top and sweep hair back over with a crocodile clip - have painfully grown out highlights and now wondering whether to have them re-done as can't stand the grey mixed with dark mousey dreary colour.

It's interesting to share experiences and thoughts on this.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2016, 08:49:07 PM »

Speak to several hairdressers about hi/low lights before taking the plunge?  My hairdresser would do hi-lights 1st and 3 months later, apply a few low ones …….. there are hair samples to hold against the hair in good saloons to get an idea as to the over-all look.

countrybumpkin

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2016, 10:22:24 PM »

Young hairstile as well helps. I do feel for people with thin hair or hair loss, my mother in law bless her had almost no hair left by time she was 90.
I have a photo of me 10 years ago with shortish hair that made me look very frumpy and older, then I grew it into an inverted bob with short back but long at front ( I have very thick hair so this might not be a good style for thin hair) and I look years younger thatn I did 10 years ago, not in my face if you look properly, as thats def aged but my hair hides the age raddled face!  I have low lights but let grey show through so it looks as if I am just starting to get a few grey hairs as I found a block colour made me look older as well strangely as it was out of step with my face age.

Still feel a bag over head with eye holes would help though ;D ;D

babyjane

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2016, 09:29:19 AM »

I have tried numerous face creams over the years which have promised all sorts until I tried 100% organic Moroccan Argan Oil after washing with Green People unscented face wash.  Now it is the only thing I use on my face and hands and it can also be used on hair.  My skin has never looked better and the lines are less obvious.  My skin clearly got tired of all the additives in the face products.    :)

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2016, 11:40:50 AM »

In the hairdresser that I go to, there are photos of people up to the age of about 40 in magazines.  I have offered to 'sit' for a local cameraman if the saloon will arrange it for B4 and after photos - so far, not taken up my offer  ;D

countrybumpkin

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2016, 04:02:27 PM »

I have tried numerous face creams over the years which have promised all sorts until I tried 100% organic Moroccan Argan Oil after washing with Green People unscented face wash.  Now it is the only thing I use on my face and hands and it can also be used on hair.  My skin has never looked better and the lines are less obvious.  My skin clearly got tired of all the additives in the face products.    :)

I have been only using green people products for years. Haven't tried the 100% argon oil though I have read alot of good things about it - wonder if it can undo the existing tram lines!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4