Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: bad day  (Read 11555 times)

coldethyl

Re: bad day
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2016, 08:41:39 PM »

Coldethyl, I am much better at this time of day, until bedtime of course. You do seem to have got it sussed, at least in theory, and what you say is really helpful, thanks. Sometimes we just need to hear it from a fellow sufferer and not just from a book. I think that's the secret...to try and let go...I used to get days where I just used to tell it to go and do one! Think I just need to get the initial affects of the ADs out of the way and then put the therapy techniques into place and stop fretting the symptoms so much. I used to read Claire Weeks...really good books.

I think we all know what we have to do.. it's just hard when we are in midst of it to take our own advice. I can easily tell friends who suffer from anxiety and depression what they should do but when it comes to myself and being compassionate towards me, can I do it? Not very easily. Telling anxiety to go do one is the right attitude and I'm sure you'll get there again. x

coldethyl

« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2016, 08:45:57 PM »

Drop the rope  :-\ - has this person *suffered* with anxiety?  It's OK being written down but logic flies out the window once anxiety sets in.  I have nights when I lay shaking with fear …..too late to put into practice the deep breathing that I learned in the 1990s.

What was the question again ……..

Yes I know it seems impossible when it strikes, but the last time I was as bad as this, I got better by doing that. I just got bored of buying into it day after day and found that if I just went on doing what I had to do, the anxiety came along for the ride, but wasn't the be all and end all of my day. My mum suffered from severe agoraphobia for 40 years and when I ask her how she got better, she always says by just stopping fighting it and looking for a way out. Claire Weeks called it floating- and I believe she was a sufferer.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2016, 08:50:35 PM »

I couldn't get my head around Claire Weeks having ever suffered anxiety  :-\ - when I read her books when I was house-bound in the 1990s, the words didn't come across as someone who could empathise. 

My anxiety varies, sometimes it's background - usually because my body is hungry; other times it's 'there', suddenly, crippling ………. and no way can I work through it. 

Bracken willowshimmer

« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2016, 09:00:32 AM »

Just wanted to say what an interesting post, thank you ladies for being so honest it really helps.

Lizab I could have written your posts, that is exactly how I feel. 

Let's hope our hormones fall into line soon. Xx

newbeginnings

« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2016, 10:07:49 AM »

My anxiety and fear kicks off on a bad day with my thoughts going off to all sorts of horrible places. The default setting is concentration camps and people getting tortured. I then feel overwhelmed with fear and horror and am just stuck there for hours. Its just utterly horrible and there's no answer. I have no idea how to deal with it.

CLKD

« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2016, 12:04:10 PM »

I can understand those feelings NewB  >:(.  For me it's 'did I care for my dog properly' as I have no 'good' memories since she was PTS nearly 14 years ago ………  :'( nowt I can do about it, in a similar way there's nowt you can do about the History that you are overwhelmed by.

Maybe if you talked to survivors or read some books?  I think we can easily put our own feelings to the fore but we don't know how we would cope. My late F in L survived Jap Camps ……… with a lot of anger which I think kept him going.  After I have read books on the subject it gives me hope that, actually, the Human Spirit does survive.

babyjane

« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2016, 12:37:31 PM »

I threw the Claire Weeks book I got in the bin.  I found it terribly dated, sexist and unrealistic, even patronising, like 'you need proper food so eat up, there's a good girl'! And 'bored housewives at home all day need to find themselves some stimulating activity such as embroidery'! Pah, too outdated to be any use today >:(

Dulciana

« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2016, 02:27:39 PM »

The days when my anxiety and/or depression are worst are the ones after a bad night's sleep.  Does anyone else have this?

CLKD

« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2016, 02:57:22 PM »

If my head feels tired or hung-over it feels like I'm having to work harder to get through the day.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]