Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Obsessing about things  (Read 11905 times)

honeybun

Re: Obsessing about things
« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2015, 07:19:25 PM »

Really don't know what my daughter will do when she leaves uni. It was what she wanted to do with no pressure from us. My son is one of the few that I know that actually uses his degree but his was very specific....computing.....he is now a software engineer ....so it can be worth while.
My daughter is talking about teaching....I suspect it's because she doesn't want to leave education quite yet.

I agree that there is too much emphasis on exam results but some kids go to, and enjoy university, and it can be easier to get some jobs if you have a degree.

It's what suits the individual.

What happened to the good old apprenticeship..

Honeybun
X

honeybun

« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2015, 07:38:00 PM »

Bit different up here sparkle.....they don't pay tuition fees, which makes a huge difference. There is still the loan though but that is tiny compared to English students.

My DD is a wonderful artist and applied to Glasgow School of Art. Basically unless she was an overseas student she didn't stand even a little chance. They take 10% British students  and the rest are not from this country....all down to money.

She is now doing primarily a business degree with a bit of fashion thrown in. It's quite specific so how getting a job will go....who knows. Hence the teaching thought.  She is still very young and will only be 21 when she graduates.
Jobs up here for young ones without qualifications are thin on the ground.

She asked me if she could take a gap year....umm....nope  ;D

It's finding what they are interested in whether it's straight out of school or not.

I think there should be a lot more courses for kids that are not particularly academic. They have a huge amount to offer......even to be a nurse these days you need a degree....now that's wrong in my opinion.

Honeybun
X
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 07:39:54 PM by honeybun »

jedigirl

« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2015, 07:50:05 PM »

I agree there is a place for everyone. What frustrates me is that schools don't tell the kids that. There is little encouragement or information towards careers in trades, apprenticeships, sports, or celebrating individual talents.
It's little wonder some kids feel they don't fit in.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #48 on: October 05, 2015, 07:54:33 PM »

At 62 I still don't know what I would like to do  ::) ……….. I wasn't clever enough to be a Vet., became a Sh/typist which took me places I never thought I would go; then I went self-employed as a typist followed by dog walking ……..   Would I change anything on that journey: don't think that I would. 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2015, 11:51:37 AM »

Yep!  Didn't want to work in a shop as I can't add up or take away  ;D

There are Apprenticeships in England Honeybun  ;)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]