Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Looking back with hindsight, when do you think your peri journey really began?  (Read 29364 times)

Briony

HB, I hear what you're saying - and it's something I consider every time I take a pill - but I think the statistics from the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists is a better source than the Daily Mail? I've read this article before and it was one of the reasons I delayed agreeing to the pill, but when my GP  talked it through with me, I was reassured (especially as Qlaira is bio identical too).

But now it's me who should be apologising as the tone of the above para sounds like what I was criticising earlier  ??? - sorry! It's just that there is such a lot of scare-mongering re the pill (Daily Mail being notorious offenders)  and it's upsetting to read if, like me,  you're one of those people for whom the pill is almost the only option. 

Limpy

Gosh - One of the Drs in the article said he preferred the newer generation of the pill as they contained hormones which were described as "lady friendly" - does that mean bio-identical?

Even with the older type pills risks were known about - it was up to the drs and the woman concerned as to whether they felt the benefits outweighed the risks.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 03:31:56 PM by Limpy »

Briony

Limpy, none of those pills quoted are bio identical so sadly, I suspect the doctor is referring to Yasmine as the  'lady friendly' one because the progesterone in it is claime to reduce fluid retention, help acne and is less likely to cause hair loss? (...because athe only thing women care about is their appearance, obviously  ::)).
 -  Ironically, of all the pills available, his'lady friendly' one (Yasmine) is one of the most controversial. People who take it seem to really like it, but it has the highest risk of all BCPs. It's banned in some countries, I believe?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 05:18:14 PM by Briony »

Kittycat50

Try explaining to your husband then would be my suggestion. They can be surprisingly understanding given half a chance.
If we dont tell them then how on earth are they expected to even understand even a little bit.

It's like pregnancy.....they can't experience it but they can support and empathise.....even suggest things if they are interested enough.

Honeybun

Hey HB, been away and see the topic has again moved off topic... ???

As a newbie I'd hate for peeps on here to misunderstand your response and have a misguided view of me - I had mentioned a MALE FRIEND had made the comments of HIS WIFE.  Yes, my dear hubby is very understanding and supportive which is one of the reasons I married him  8)

GypsyRoseLee

As I have never smoked, am not overweight and rarely drink my GP assured me I was as safe to take the Pill as I had been at 30.

Having chatted with friends, all of whom are well educated ( and a few work in health care roles)  types, not a single one knew it was fine to take the Pill after 35. Neither did they know it was much stronger than HRT and therefore more controlling of fluctuating hormones in peri.

They all thought they would have to muddle through from 35-50 without hormones, as they assumed HRT wasn't used until in your 50s.

The level of innocent ignorance is shocking and it really worries me that there are thousands of women suffering through ignorance, when just one little Pill a day could save their sanity. Or even their lives. Locally a woman committed suicide as she had been suffering with severe PND. It haunts me that maybe if she's gone back in the Pill after giving birth she might still be with us? But as she was an older Mum, nearing forty she didn't think of it.

Dandelion

Usual age of around 42/43 I think.

Taz x
That age was the same for me, when my flushes started, but I thought that was quite early to start having hot flushes. I have always been an anxious and emotionally easily upset type of person, but the graph suddenly went downwards sharply at age 42.
I got periods right up until age 47 when I started seui hrt, and have had them ever since.

LouE

April 2012 but thats when the doctor first prescribed me ADs, but i had been having problems coping at work for a long time before that, about a year and a half following my dad ending up in intensive care, hes ok now but it wasnt a great time.  My doctor diagnosed depression, i never questioned it, im only now, from reading this website, and thinking perhaps its all peri?

Dorothy

Could be LouE - an awful lot of GPs seem to misdiagnose peri as depression.  Your problems at work could have been due to stress over your dad's situation, but equally the stress could have caused your peri symptoms to kick in more strongly.  I had mild symptoms from 35 but it got a lot worse age 38 following my father's death.  My GP says it is quite common for peri symptoms to start/get stronger following a stressful event such as bereavement or serious illness.  Makes sense really as if your body is struggling to cope with a crisis, it has less resources available to maintain your reproductive system in good order!

Is your current GP helpful re peri?  If not it would be worth changing GP.

LouE

Hi dorothy, iveonly just mentioned peri to him, he was reluctant to "blame" it on that but i pointed out the numerous tests id had over the last three years that were all normal!  He seemed to take it more seriously when i said no interest in sex and uncomfy/dry/painfull down there, have a blood test tomorow to check my hormones, also getting the coil changed early nov at the well woman clinic, hope they help me more tbh

Dorothy

Hope you get some help at the well woman clinic.  Have you looked at the list of peri symptoms?  It might be worth making a list of any you experience to show to your GP. 

LouE

Yep, told him! Tbh hes a good doctor but from reading stuffon here, many doca dont make the link?

GypsyRoseLee

What your GP said tallies very much with my peri experience Dorothy.

I had already noticed my cycle was changing and that my PMS had got much worse and lasting longer. But I was coping.

Then we had a very stressful few weeks at work, plus my Mum was seriously ill and suddenly I just stopped being able to cope and the anxiety hit with a vengence.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]