Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Larger itchy/sore boobs in perimenopause?  (Read 9296 times)

Larger itchy/sore boobs in perimenopause?
« on: August 25, 2015, 03:09:48 AM »

For me, this seemed to be a first symptom that something was changing. Before, I used to get larger, sore and/or itchy boobs as a PMS symptom. They would "shrink" back to normal size as my period started. Now they stay larger and ithcy/sore for most part of my cycle. I'm not taking any hormones. Is this also "normal" for peri?

abbyH

Re: Larger itchy/sore boobs in perimenopause?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 07:18:44 AM »

Hi there, I've noticed a change also.. It started before I started HRT.. so it's definitely a Peri thing, not sure I've had itching, but larger, swollen and a bit lumpy (although have had that checked out and apparently nothing to worry about)...

hope they settle down!

Abby x

dahliagirl

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 08:58:30 AM »

I had itching after my first (rather 'uncomfortable' :o) mammogram.  It came back each month and Dr Google (after much searching and discounting breast cancer) finally came up with mastitis, and there was indeed a similarity in how it felt.  So I dug out my old favourite (and sadly obsolete) Warner bra which is comfortable and supportive all round and does not put pressure anywhere, and it finally went.

I had it again last week, after a little hormonal blip and wearing the wrong sized bra.  Fortunately, the amazing bra is still functional (at the moment) and it did the trick.

Briony

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 09:14:51 AM »

Definitely! It was one of my first clues that my weird symptoms had to be hormonal. It was all a bit of a shock as I was a lifetime A cup! Since then starting HRT and then the pill has resulted in me being a C cup. People are noticing too - it's embarrassing!

Pollie

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 11:39:52 AM »

Me too !

I was so flat chested and had the boobs of an 11 year old (seriously, no bras to fit me!) until I was about 42 and then developed slowly into what I class as a normal pair of B cups.

I am smug now though as hubby says I have the body of a 25 year old. Good things come to those that wait  ;)

I had no weight gain or anything so must be hormones somehow.

Would love to know how/why.

Pollie

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 01:00:01 PM »

Wow - how interesting that so many people have experienced this... I would also love to know WHY? What is behind this? Excess estrogen? Excess progesterone? Something else?

dahliagirl

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2015, 02:05:33 PM »

I suspect mine is the way the ducts drain, as it is the same areas that I had mastitis and blocked ducts in when I was breast feeding.  It has only happened after a big hormonal blip, and after bruising from the mammogram.  The latest one, I did not even have much expansion at all. ::)

dahliagirl

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2015, 02:05:59 PM »

Oh - ibuprofen helps me too.