Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Sigmoidoscopy  (Read 11613 times)

Limpy

Re: Sigmoidoscopy
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2015, 07:54:06 PM »

I know it's a bit daft but the thing that worries me most is the journey too and from the hospital as it's about 40 mins away. Will I need to go on the way, or the way back for that matter.

OH had a colonoscopy a couple of years ago, he found the clearing himself out to be the most tedious thing. He had to take stuff the day before but it took effect  pretty quickly and all was sorted by the time he had to get there for 8am the next day. We had a journey of 40 minutes too.

You should be fine, the stuff they give you to clear you out should have taken effect by the time you travel. What time is your appointment?

honeybun

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2015, 08:31:56 PM »

Not a clue Limpy. Could be at least 12 weeks before I even here anything.

Just hope it's not that early as I think with this test you have to give yourself an enema on the day. Think I may well change my diet....well not eat a lot for a couple of days beforehand.

Honeybun
X

Taz2

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2015, 10:24:56 PM »

You do have to give yourself an enema HB - it's simple to administer but you do have to be very close to the loo. I lay down on our downstairs loo floor to do mine. I took a book in with me and just waited for it to take effect. Couldn't risk anyone else being in there at the crucial moment!!

It's not necessary to change your diet for a sigmoidoscopy and I don't think you have to fast on the day of the procedure either from what I remember. It did work very efficiently!

Taz x

countrybumpkin

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2015, 08:30:30 AM »

Every hospital seems to have different protocols. At mine you didn't have to do anything before arrival and a nurse gave me the enema and then you were sent to the waiting room and told where the two toilets were :o thankfully close at hand and I assume they didn't do more than two people at once but who knows ;D

honeybun

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2015, 08:46:44 AM »

Blood again this morning  :-\. Oh I so don't like this. My imagination goes into overdrive and my anxiety just rockets.

I'm going to go back to a doctor I can actually talk to soon and get her to explain things better to me then I might just be able to cope with this.

Honeyb
x

Cassie

« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2015, 09:11:54 AM »

Could be a polyp a pile or even an anal fissure....very common at our age :) and just to add sigmoidoscopy is fine, I had one many yrs ago, apart from feeling like I really needed to push, it was over within minutes, pls try to relax, I would rather have one of them anyday than the colonscopy...:)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 09:13:51 AM by Cassie »

Dyan

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2015, 03:31:38 PM »

I know it is easier said than done,but try not to worry HB.
Thinking of you and sending you a big :hug:

honeybun

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2015, 04:11:50 PM »

I watched a YouTube clip of Lynn Faulds Wood having one done. Cuba Girl told me about it and I found it very reassuring.

I just wish my lower left tummy pain would ease up a bit. It's not terribly painful but it's a constant reminder things are not right.

Health anxiety is the pits.

Honeybun
X

Dyan

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2015, 04:18:11 PM »

I understand how you feel HB :hug:

Joyce

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2015, 05:12:23 PM »

Glad you found it reassuring HB. Wasn't sure in case it scared you more, considering she's a bowel cancer survivor.

babyjane

« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2015, 06:30:29 PM »

sounds like your colon might be grumbling a bit.  Can you take Colofac or Buscopan to relax it?

honeybun

« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2015, 06:36:44 PM »

Not taking anything except paracetamol for the pain.
I do have Buscopan and also Mebeverine but I'm not sure they would help

I'm just not sure what to eat. I think I need to rest things until this pain settles but it's difficult to know what to do for the best at the moment.

Dreading the morning visit to the loo.  :-\

Honeybun
X

babyjane

« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2015, 06:39:05 PM »

you won't know unless you try, why be in discomfort?

perhaps a bland, low residue diet.  your local pharmacist should be able to help and make suggestions.

honeybun

« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2015, 06:41:00 PM »

Good point....and I'm really annoyed that my hubby told my daughter and now she is worried about me.
I didn't want that...she was going to be out of this particular loop.

Oh well too late now.

Honeybun
X

Taz2

« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2015, 07:33:23 PM »

I learnt quite some time ago that if I wanted to keep things from my sons then I had to keep it from the husband too! He could never keep it to himself. I'm sure she wants to support you, though, having said that. I remember as a daughter being really flummoxed when my mum didn't tell me she was undergoing tests for diabetes and she said "Wait till you have children then you'll understand" and now, of course, I do.

Taz x
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4