Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Sigmoidoscopy  (Read 11679 times)

honeybun

Sigmoidoscopy
« on: August 17, 2015, 11:21:58 AM »

I had another bit of blood in the loo this morning, same happened yesterday....so after a bit of a discussion with hubby I got a GP appointment.
I have had side pain for about a week now.
She had a good prod of my tummy and all was ok then she gave me a rectal examination and said that was fine too. She has taken blood and referred me for a sigmoidoscopy. I will probably have to wait 12 weeks.

I am in panic mode as
1....I hate hospitals.  and
2.....I hate hospitals.

The doc I saw is not my favourite but she did say she did not suspect anything nasty. But the discussion was short.

Of course I have googled and people are saying it's agony.

Can someone tell me the truth please and not what you think I need to hear and then at least I will be prepared. Of course I'm not there yet and there is every chance I will bottle out due to anxiety.

Need a bit of help ladies.

Honeyb
x

Joyce

Re: Sigmoidoscopy
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 11:43:34 AM »

Not sure what I had done, but have been checked out thrice, many moons ago. I would describe my experience as uncomfortable, but not painful. What I  hated was the "clean out" the day before. 

Best checked out though. I will hold your hand through cyberspace.

babyjane

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 11:44:49 AM »

It isn't agony.  My husband had one for the same reasons as yourself and it was a lot easier than my colonoscopy as the camera doesn't go right round the bend, only into the first part of the (sigmoid) colon and my colonoscopy wasn't that bad.

If you do the preparation they give you, take some diazepam beforehand or ask for some sedation then it is all over before you know it.  My husbnad said it was no worse than the rectal exam.

Hope that helps and stop googling x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 11:46:48 AM »

:bighug: ………. give the dept. a ring and ask?  Stop GOOGLING !  If the GP doesn't suspect anything sinister on palpation then it's to put your mind at rest  ;) : however …….

babyjane

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 11:49:44 AM »

mine turned out to be internal and external haemorrhoids, husband's were internal ones. Little blighters have a lot to answer for.

ellie

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2015, 12:05:35 PM »

Honeybun I have had it done and it is NOT agony, if I had to have it done again, I would NOT be worried at all......I had  the same symptoms as you and mine was due to Diviculitus (spelling) and a polyp......So try NOT to worry......

Taz2

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2015, 12:23:57 PM »

I've had it done and it's not agony but I didn't like the self administered enema a few hours before very much. The procedure is done at our local surgery so that helped as I knew the staff. The procedure was over in about ten minutes. It wasn't uncomfortable for most of the time. There was one pinchy bit but nothing dreadful. I found it fascinating watching the screen. One thing I found though was that I had to go urgently for a couple of times once I get home which surprised me as I thought that everything had already been got rid of.

I was worried about it upsetting my bowel but by the next day everything was back to normal - or as normal as I ever seem to get bowel-wise!

Taz x

Ju Ju

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2015, 12:40:10 PM »

Had 2 so far and yes the worse bit is the prep stuff the day before. Both times they really didn't think there was a real problem, but the older you get, the more likely they will refer you for one. Both times nothing wrong, just functional.Belt and braces really. We will all being virtually holding your hand if you need it! Meanwhile, plan some treats to help take your mind off it.

honeybun

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2015, 12:54:51 PM »

Thanks all.

I know it's a bit daft but the thing that worries me most is the journey too and from the hospital as it's about 40 mins away. Will I need to go on the way, or the way back for that matter. Oh I'm so bad at this kind of thing and anything stomach or bowel related sends me into a panic.

Do you get any sedation or is it not needed.

I'm overthinking this aren't I.

Honeybun
X

Joyce

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2015, 01:29:17 PM »

I had to take prep 24 hours before. Most of the running to loo was over within a few hours & didn't need again until after the examination. You may need something to keep you calm on the day, but I wasn't offered anything. My brother has had this procedure done a few times in recent years & said it really wasn't as bad as he'd feared.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 03:21:14 PM by cubagirl »

SadLynda

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2015, 01:39:36 PM »

Both my parents have had this.  Neither complained of pain, and believe me they would have.  Only problem we had with Mum was when I had to have her moved nearer to the loo as she was placed too far away, but I got her there and back on the journey fine, and my Dad.

Hope they get you sorted and put your mind at rest soon x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2015, 02:14:13 PM »

That's my worry Honeybun - but I think that once the preparation has cleared the bowel that feeling of a 'need to go' won't be there.  That's what the prep is for.

countrybumpkin

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2015, 02:23:57 PM »

I have had it done twice in the past and I would personally ask for sedation as I found it very painful at certain points in the test but I know loads of others that only find it uncomfortable. I was told my bowel was gripping the scope which meant they had to put in alot of air so this probably is why I found it painful.  They do not offer sedations routinely but you can ask for it and they will give you it. You then have to wait 30 mins after the test before they will let you home rather than being able to leave straight away.

At my hospital they give you an enema when you arrive which is not exactly nice but okay. I did find that once home I kept passing what looked like clear gel but this was the remains of the enema. I was perfectly okay by later evening on the day I had it done.

Kathleen

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2015, 06:55:44 PM »

Hello honeybun and so sorry that you are having this trouble.

I've had two Colonoscopies with sedation which was delivered through a canula in the wrist and I was so relaxed and happy that I actually smiled at my husband which I hadn't felt inclined to do for a long time lol.
Like you I was worried about the journey as the hospital is about an hour away but the prep includes instructions about how much to take and when and this is worked out according to your appointment time. I never had any problems with needing the loo while travelling.

Hand on heart I can say both experiences were fine, no awkwardness or pain and although the prep is yuk you just need to stay near the loo while it does it's thing.

I wish you well honeybun, it seems this procedure in another one we tend to encounter as we age and it truly isn't at all bad.

Take care.

K.

honeybun

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2015, 07:14:49 PM »

Oh thank you Kathleen....it's the distance from the hospital that worries me although we pass both my sister and mother on the way.

Oh well...I will just have to get on with things when they get here. Lots of you have done it and that gives me courage.

Not looking forward to my loo trip in the morning....hope it has gone.

Honeybun
X
Pages: [1] 2 3 4