Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: So down and not coping at all  (Read 3089 times)

Sarai

So down and not coping at all
« on: July 08, 2015, 10:37:11 AM »

I really am not coping well at all. I am now having the period from hell after a 4 month break, I am so disappointed.
The pain etc I can deal with but the mood swings and my tinnitus are terrible right now.
The hormones are directly effecting the tinnitus and I cant cope at. I'm crying like a baby half the days.
I don't take HRT due to a blood disorder but am planning on asking my consultant for his expert opinion on whether I can.
Trouble is I notice so many ladies on here get other side effects from HRT that its not a cure all and the rest of my body ie digestion, weight etc is working fine so don't want to mess that up.
I mostly wish I hadn't woken up everyday when I do wake, quite frankly with tinnitus and hyperacusis and this my life is finished. I cant even go places to enjoy myself as my hearing is sensitive right now.

toffeecushion

Re: So down and not coping at all
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 10:42:38 AM »

Poor you, can't offer any advice just wanted to give you a  :hug:

It will get better

Nemesis

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 11:20:34 AM »

Saira

As you know I have chronic tinnitus as well. But if you feel there is a hormonal component ( I don't feel that with mine) to it maybe ask your GP for a low dose HRT like Femeston.

I don't suppose it will help with the Tinnitus it doesn't with mine, but it might make you cope better in general.

If you don't fancy a tablet ask for somekind of patch suitable for peri menopausal women. I am post meno so am not sure what would be suitable but I think someone else on here might know

I understand the sentiments in you post entirely have become reclusive and cannot see it changing.

Wanted to send you a virtual hug.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 11:24:29 AM by Nemesis »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 12:14:38 PM »

You can never get away from it, symptoms are in your face all the while  >:(. When anxiety hits I can't focus on anything else  :'(

:bighug:

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 12:23:11 PM »

hyperacusis - looked this up and although we have a thread on which noises are annoying, this is different.  Do you find that wearing soft ear-muffs ease the input of noise?  I find that once I get attuned to a noise it's with me, annoyingly not going away  >:( ……. my tinnitus hasn't been noticeable for the last couple of weeks but it doesn't go away for long  :-\

Sarai

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 02:12:18 PM »

Thanks I know what hyperacusis is, unfortunately, to my cost. I had it when I first got tinnitus 3 years ago and it faded over the months.
This year with surgery, the medication reaction and now more meno sympotoms seem to have tipped the balance and my sensitivity is back to extreme. This is why I rarely go out, the world is too loud, I even find my kettle too loud. I know its not but thats how brain is perceiving it right now and it just spikes the tinnitus and makes many things so miserable.
I do use earplugs if i need to but they are annoying as they lock the tinnitus in and make it seem louder.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2015, 02:17:59 PM »

Maybe stop using ear *plugs* because they can cause associated dryness deep in the ear = infections  ::) but ear-muffs when you put on the kettle, running the bath etc. might help. 

Nemesis

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2015, 06:57:07 PM »

I think the trouble with hyperacusis Saira is it makes you frightened of sound.

I am trying to deal with mine without earplugs in the home as in theory things like whistling kettles (which is basically what my 24/7 tinnitus sounds like anyway) shouldn't damage your hearing any further.

I think if you are living in a quiet controlled environment at home try not to stress too much, I know that is easy for me to say.

I still jump when a door slams or my adult kids yell at each other, or a neighbour starts drilling, also things like my hubbies phone sounds totally annoy me, the plink, plink, plink as he does a text, but in theory that kind of noise can't do any more harm. I've had him change his ring tone as well but have worked out they all annoy my ears. I'm surprised he is still here, but he says we will work through this together. Here's hoping.

However if you do venture out then take ear plugs with you just incase.

I had to walk past some deafening roadworks a couple of weeks ago, and ended up making a huge detour as didn't want to risk it, anyone who noticed me must have thought I was a mad woman.

But I noticed all the operatives doing the work were wearing ear defenders, but we the general public are expected to walk right next to it !
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 07:01:40 PM by Nemesis »