Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Migraine help not sure whether to stop HRT?  (Read 4364 times)

Ursula

Migraine help not sure whether to stop HRT?
« on: July 07, 2015, 02:42:52 PM »

Hi girls,

I have a sporadic history of ocular migraines (silent), particularly in my teen years and I believe are hormone related.
Because of this I started out on Evorel 25 for a couple of months and everything fine.
Last month Evorel was increased to 50 and I then started Utrogestan 100 that I use for 10 days. Again everything fantastic.

This month I started the Utrogestan on day 3 of my cycle and within 12 hours developed a really bad ocular migraine with pain. The frightening thing was that my mouth, face and right arm went numb for a little while. I became completely freaked out by this and had a major panic attack (didn't help). The whole thing lasted maybe an hour or so and the headache completely left 24 hours later. I haven't taken any since.

Now my gynae originally advised me to continue taking Utrogestan even if I develop a migraine because my body needs to get used to the increase. But I am really worried and a little fearful because this migraine was really really bad.

Sods law is that my Gynae is on holiday when this happens and I just don't know what to do. So any words of wisdom or advice would be really great.

Thanks Xx
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 04:12:16 PM by Ursula »

Sarai

Re: Migraine help not sure what to do?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 03:26:03 PM »

Can I say what you describe sounds more like hemiplegic migraine than ocular with the symptoms you describe. I would see the gp because if you get another like that when you are out or driving it can have serious consequencies. I would also say that the gynae probably meant stick with the dose in the event of you getting 'your' normal migraine not a completely different type.
I admit to knowing nothing about HRT but know a lot about migraines.

Ursula

Re: Migraine help not sure what to do?
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 04:11:16 PM »

Hey Sparkle,

I'm fine now thank you for asking.

Sarai, it wasn't as bad as what is described with hemiplegic migraines because I could still move my arm and head. I also wasn't slurring, dribbling or anything like that. It kind of felt fuzzy and weird though, enough to scare me.

The only thing similar that i have experienced, is when I was a teenager, along with the ocular I can remember a couple of times the tip of my tongue and my fingertips went numb...

The mad thing about this is that I take propranolol and have done for many years, due to palpitations. In theory this should be a preventative surely?

The other issue is now that I am still taking Evorel 50 (and I am fine on that) but I need the Utrogestan to 'bleed.' I don't know whether to stop the Evorel or wait until I can see my gynae/doctor. ??

Limpy

Re: Migraine help not sure whether to stop HRT?
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 04:47:41 PM »

Ursula - Your migraine sounds horrid, it's good that it's easier, I get migraines regularly (not the optical sort) and they are definitely tedious.

I was given Propranolol to try to prevent them, that didn't work at all for me.

When I started HRT, I was told that patches provide a more stable levels of hormones than pills and are less likely to trigger migraines. If that's the case, perhaps the Evorel 50 patches are not what's caused the migraines

I can't comment about the Utrogestan.

Hope you get to see your gynae/doctor soon.

Ursula

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 05:09:14 PM »

Hi Limpy, the Evorel is fine but I am now taking it on it's own without the Utrogestan for the bleed. Worried about how long I can go like this and be safe.

You made an interesting observation regarding the patches. My gynae gradually started me on the Evorel and the dose has slowly increased, I've been fine on this. She said Utrogestan was possibly the best type for me. I wonder if it's too much of a shock each month to introduce Utrogestane so quickly  and maybe  I need a lower dose, if there is one? But then it doesn't add up because last month I was fine.

I am very reluctant to even attempt to try the Utrogestan again to 'see' if it was another trigger instead.  :-\

Limpy

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 06:07:47 PM »

Hi Ursula - I can totally understand your reluctance about the Utrogestan.
I assume they want you to use it to prevent the womb lining getting too thick with the higher dose Evorel.
Is it possible to reduce the Utrogestan dose?

Failing that, perhaps omit the Utrogestan, just for this month to see how things go and see if it is the Utrogestan causing the migraines.

Whatever you do, you MUST see your Dr or Gynae to get proper advice, it's not good for the womb lining too build up too much.

honeybun

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2015, 06:52:36 PM »

How do you use the Utrogestan ....if you take it orally perhaps try vaginally.

Sorry can't think of anything else.

Honeybun
X

marras

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2015, 08:12:42 PM »

Hi Ursula, just to say I sympathise regarding the migraine. I suffer migraine with aura and experience the pins and needles sensation down one side of my body as well as other very unpleasant things. I live in fear of them and am just recovering from four attacks in a month with each headache lasting five days. I'm on a low dose patch only now having come off Climaval tablets. Hope you find a solution  ::)

marras

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2015, 08:20:55 PM »

Hi Ursula, just to say I sympathise regarding the migraine. I suffer migraine with aura and experience the pins and needles sensation down one side of my body as well as other very unpleasant things. I live in fear of them and am just recovering from four attacks in a month with each headache lasting five days. I'm on a low dose patch only now having come off Climaval tablets. Hope you find a solution  ::)

Briony

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2015, 10:02:14 PM »

How do you use the Utrogestan ....if you take it orally perhaps try vaginally.

Sorry can't think of anything else.

Honeybun
X

Was going to suggest the same thing as Honeybun says here. Side effects less likely if taken this way. Not heard of Utrogestan triggering a migraine like this when taken from the other end ? (Although  I know I still got them in the first few weeks of Evorel on its own especially when my own hormones tried to but in!). X