Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: after hrt  (Read 2855 times)

ritah

after hrt
« on: June 28, 2015, 09:48:27 PM »

hi I came off hrt in January this year. about a month or two  after I started getting dizzy spells muscle aches in arms legs hands feeling tired, ive had several blood tests and a head scan all normal. could this be due to coming off hrt  oh and one other thing my sex drive has gone down the pan is this normal thanks im 58   

peegeetip

Re: after hrt
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 10:43:39 PM »

If it was working why change it? Was it your doc pushing you to stop?
There is no need to drop down to a lower dose either as you near 60.
The low dose is more for those ladies starting HRT much later.

If you've had HRT for years and its keep you well at a certain level then groups like the British Menopause Society agree that there should be no arbitrary limit on how long we can remain on HRT at a level that properly maintains our symptoms and quality of life.

Its up to you what you do next.
Your libido disappearing suddenly would be inline with what a lot of us go when our hormone levels are not maintained.
Perhaps others can comment on the dizzy spells but again it could be related to your hormones dropping and others have posted similar issues.

There was a post by Dr Currie earlier that it should be our choice on the matter of starting or stopping, not someone elses. I can add the link to this again but if you look thru the last couple of MM magazines you'll see the article too.

I hope you feel better soon.

:-*

ritah

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 10:51:43 PM »

hi peegeetip thanks for the reply to my post  the doctors at my gp surgery refused to give m,e any more hrt said I needed to come off it at some point . and now is the time. surely they are right cant stay on it forever. I just wanted to know if all the muscles aches n pains were due to coming off hrt . I don't suffer with the dizziness as much as I used to. only now and again .I wondered if any one else had the same symptoms after coming of hrt. thank again for advice  :)

peegeetip

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 11:49:21 PM »

Hi Ritah

sorry your doc's have treated you like that.
I'm sure others will come along to comment on this recurring theme on the way we are often treated.

The article Dr Currie did is in the following link:

http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/issue39/#p=8

Hope thats useful.

:-*

bramble

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 11:47:42 AM »

Hello Ritah,
I certainly felt a difference in my energy levels when I stopped HRT. In fact it was the biggest downside of stopping. I have been taking vitamin B for the last few months and have found it has made me a bit more energetic. 
Muscle aches and pains can be helped by HRT so it is not so surprising if you feel them more now you have stopped. There is a big thread on that - you may find something there that could help. Or just accept that they are part and parcel of growing older!!! 
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,77.0.html

All the best,
Bramble

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 01:38:34 PM »

However: what ever Dr Currie or the British Menopause Society says, if a GP is against HRT for ladies over a 'certain' age, the patient is unlikely to shift that attitude.  A certain amount of what they prescribe is Government led anyway ……. as they have to maintain budgets!

If I was in a similar situation I would tell them it's HRT or a large wooden box ! which would they like to prescribe  ;)

ritah

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2015, 09:25:14 AM »

hi bramble thank you for a reply to my post I will click on the link you  sent me in your reply many thanks  :)

peegeetip

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2015, 09:54:21 AM »

"Or just accept that they are part and parcel of growing older"

I understand where Bramble is coming from.

TBH prior to getting HRT, I was at that point, "just accept" :(

But something in me and partly something my DH said Snapped me out of it.

Why should I accept it and what am I doing? Surely my quality of life had to be better than where the next Loo stop was???
I was down and letting it get the better of me.

For me it was not easy to go with HRT and the doc didnt help me on that front.

I feel sad also when others are forced to change because of a doc with a different agenda to their patient.
Its not the doc who has to live with the pain, lack of comfort, sleeplessness, sweats, flush and even the dreaded VA.
Its especially sad when someone has been thriving till that point.

I hope that your feeling a bit better soon but as Dr Currie mentioned in the article I pointed to you "its your choice!".
Bottomline is that the Doc is there to do what you want not the other way around ...

:-\