Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Is anyone taking sertaline and/or trying Mindfulness therapy  (Read 8416 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Is anyone taking sertaline and/or trying Mindfulness therapy
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2015, 01:26:02 PM »

Of course you do!  The side effects can be truly awful  >:(

Greenfields

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2015, 01:43:21 PM »

If you can do Jon Kabat-Zinn's body scan practice regularly it will make a difference - it helped me through my breakdown and is helping me in recovering from it.  He also has sitting meditations - I've got some of his CDs and some of the practices are a bit long - but would definitely recommend the body scan practice lying down - it's very relaxing and I often fall asleep to it which is actually good for me as I get extra rest.

CLKD

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2015, 02:05:29 PM »

It is fitting in the practice that I find difficult  ::) - so sitting in our garden by the pond helps a lot as does pottering in the earth.  Listening to the birds early in the morning if I can't sleep at this time of year is good. 

annieb

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2015, 02:54:20 PM »

I'm hopeful that it will work -
CKLD - this is same with me - one of my anxieties is feeling that there is not enough time to do everything I think I need to do in a day and findinf time for the meditation scheme seems as though it may just be another thing to add to the list. Determined that I will make time - maybe it will help me with what really is important as deep inside I know that I put too much pressure on myself to do stuff that can wait!!

CLKD

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2015, 07:15:00 PM »

I used to say to DH 'too much to do, not enough time' and feel really panicked about everything I had to do but when he asked I couldn't tell him …… because I whizz from chore to chore, weeding to bin, birds/fish/ponds …….. in my head and getting it done! however, he's taken over the hoovery-thingy since he retired which really helps!

Sarai

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2015, 11:13:47 AM »

I am on sertraline. I took it years ago and came but had to go back on.
The side effects were bad, increased anxiety, daytime sleeping then insomnia. Lack of appetite. I stuck it as I i knew I really needed them.
I take 75mg and gave for 4 years. I was put on originally for post natal depression and then forgotten and I became addicted. I guess I probably only needed hormones back then but who knew.
My doc said never to stop again as in such a state if them.
I got my old self back totally within a couple of months.
Mind you my old self is vanishing again due to rotten meno stuff.

Ronsmum

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2015, 04:27:57 PM »

I'm on just 10 mg of Citalopram which generally keeps me calm along with mindfulness meditation.
I've been practicing it for about 4 years now starting with Jon kabatt zinn . Used to always fall asleep tho doing the body scan.
Mindfulness is  a lovely gentle tool to centre yourself to help stop your mind creating stories that aren't bloody true ,
I also find Tara Brachs's podcast talks very useful too. Free in the App Store.
Anxiety is flaming horrible

CLKD

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2015, 04:46:56 PM »

:thankyou:

annieb

« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2015, 09:17:02 AM »

Update -  went back to GP (blessed with a very cheery GP who does listen) and changed AD to Prothiaden which is a different type (same as the dothiepan I took years ago) . Much much better with this one.  Very woozy and sleepy and feeling a bit sick for the first 2 or 3 days but now on day 4 and feeling OK. Getting good nights sleep as it does knock you out a bit and a bit difficult to wake in the morning  Certainly benefitting from the long sleeps and think the waking up will get better as I go along.  Feeling better in myself though still not out of the woods
Struggling with the "mindfulness" as there is always coming and going in the house so having difficulty finding a quiet spot. But have managed the basic relaxation and  full body scan listening to the CD that came with the book . Instruction runs for about 20 minutes and afterwards I do feel so relaxed and calm.
gloriously sunny here this morning and that cheers the mind too.  :)

CLKD

« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2015, 12:59:37 PM »

Glad you have some relief at last.  Personal query: do you bath ………. if so, practice mindfulness in a deep warm bath of bubbles  ;) - works for me most nights, with cuppa and Very Good Book!

annieb

« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2015, 02:35:48 PM »

Hadn't thought of that but sounds like a good idea Thanks CKLD x

Greenfields

« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2015, 03:57:33 PM »

Mindfulness is also nice in the shower! ;)

To be honest, I don't think I would have got through the last few months without having done the body scan regularly - it made a huge difference to my life, particularly when I was very very ill and couldn't do much. 

At the moment I often feel overwhelmed - so my practice is then to just bring my attention back to whatever I'm doing in the present - and that helps enormously too.

Mindfulness is also nice when you're chopping veggies and you're not in a rush ... just being present to the chopping and the colours of the vegetables etc ... I always find cooking very relaxing.

CLKD

« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2015, 10:53:25 PM »

Cooking and relaxing aren't 2 words that go together in my mind  ;D - fortunately I have a Husband who does  ;)

I ran a bath earlier: water was cold  :'(  :-\ …………  ::)

annieb

« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2015, 06:08:40 PM »

Just a quick update for anyone who's interested.  Almost completed my second week on Prothiedan and feel loads better. Had a few wobbly days but the awful dread feelings have gone. Am sleeping very deeply but do have a bit of a problem waking in the morning and feel a bit woosy during the day. think this will pass in time though.  Fingers crossed . Only on 25mg !!

Greenfields

« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2015, 07:58:56 PM »

Just a quick update for anyone who's interested.  Almost completed my second week on Prothiedan and feel loads better. Had a few wobbly days but the awful dread feelings have gone. Am sleeping very deeply but do have a bit of a problem waking in the morning and feel a bit woosy during the day. think this will pass in time though.  Fingers crossed . Only on 25mg !!

Lovely to hear that you're feeling better.
Hugs xxx
BTW re: the mindfulness and coming and going in your house - one way to use mindfulness is to focus on sounds ... just hearing them without judgment.  One teacher I went on retreat with used to say "sit like a mountain with the ears wide open like the ocean" - such a lovely image.  Another teacher says imagine the ears are like giant headphone antennae - and just sit and allow sound to pass through.  It's possible to bring awareness to sounds without judgment and to also notice the gaps between sounds too.  Notice your reactivity to sounds as well and it's possible that that will gently decrease as you practice (can't force it though!).   
Pages: 1 [2] 3