Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Hrt/Hysterectomy/Weight Gain  (Read 4168 times)

Mo70

• First Flush
Hrt/Hysterectomy/Weight Gain
« on: August 27, 2016, 04:13:46 PM »

I had a hysterectomy in February due to a huge fibroid and heavy bleeding. So much that I had to have a blood transfusion. Initially I felt great and felt slimmer too after big fibroid was removed however 6 months in and I feel huge! My breasts have gone up 2 cup sizes, hips bigger too, put on about a stone.I'm still excercising as I did before (high impact 3/4 times a week) but nothing shifts the extra weight! This is getting me down as I've never been overweight! I've been taking hrt since hysterectomy and am now considering stopping. Has anyone else had this weight gain and is it better with or without hrt?

Taz2

Re: Hrt/Hysterectomy/Weight Gain
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2016, 05:05:05 PM »

Hi Mo70 - I think that we are told very little about the impact of hysterectomy on our bodies. I had mine two years ago and have gained a stone in weight despite careful eating and more exercise. My GP said that it is not known why women do tend to gain weight after hysterectomy but that it is a proven fact even when ovaries are retained. I have found this website which gives information as to what happens after hysterectomy. I have been quite upset by the loss of my waist but this has a physical reason detailed on this site http://www.lifeafterhysterectomy.com/weight-gain-after-hysterectomy/ 

I hope you find the info helpful.

I have been on and off HRT and although initially I thought that I lost weight when I stopped taking it this soon stopped. I think that the change of shape is what bothers me most. I am not that overweight - 4ft 10in weighing 9st - but all of my extra weight is on my tummy - a real pot belly type of shape - whereas before hysterectomy I had a waist and a flat tummy.

Looking forward to learning more about you.

Taz x  :welcomemm:

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2016, 05:14:34 PM »

Hi and welcome to MMMo70
You haven't told us how old you are? It's really good you've been given oestrogen as you do need it if you are below 55.   What HRT are you on and what dosage?
If you had a full hyster (even had your ovaries removed) you may have been plunged into post menopause and this will have quite an effect on your body. If you were still getting periods before the op the change can be quite dramatic and nobody warns you about this.
HRT can give a slightly plumped up effect but it is not actually responsible for weight gain.
Weight gain is part of menopause - to control weight as we get older, one simply has to eat a lot less I'm afraid and even then the fat tends to sit around the hips and tummy - truly horrid.
I am now 60 and recently stopped systemic HRT - in just a few short weeks, my tummy and hips are gaining fat while the rest of me has gone all soft and saggy. Over the last couple of years I have reduced my calorie intake -  I eat about a third less than I did 5 years ago - it is a struggle.
If you stop HRT you may find your energy levels drop so exercising could be tougher.
If you are in your mid 50s you could take a break from the HRt to see how you feel.
Hopefully others who have had a hyster will be along with help and advice.  Dg x

Dg x

Mo70

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2016, 12:31:38 PM »

Thanks for the info.
I'm 48 and had full hysterectomy. And I was still having periods before this although I was mostly bleeding constantly!
I'm not grossly overweight either but as you say shape has changed. Because I'm not used to carrying extra weight it's just making me miserable!
Never thought about energy levels dropping if I stop hrt, it's a vicious circle :'(

Tempest

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2016, 01:32:29 PM »

Hi, Mo70! When you say full hysterectomy, I just would like to ask if you have your ovaries still? I'm a 'surgical menopause' lady (almost 18 months post op.)

Joyce

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2016, 03:06:32 PM »

My mum never had a hysterectomy and became quite plump around her midriff. Think it's more an age thing. I've put on weight over the years, mainly round my middle. I've had a hysterectomy, but most of my weight went on 10 years after, when my ovaries were removed.

Taz2

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2016, 04:26:19 PM »

I think it's the physical changes when the ligaments etc are cut that can cause the more rounded shape. That's what it seems to say in the link anyway. I feel all squashed up somehow  ;D

Taz x

Mo70

• First Flush
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2016, 05:58:40 PM »

I don't have ovaries any more. I know weight gain is an age thing but it's been a sudden thing since op for me. But on the plus side I was out for lunch today with some friends I've known for years and during our catch up we realise how lucky we are to have our health so what's a stone or so in weight😀 Just need to get on with it I suppose!