Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Itchy ear and throat tubes  (Read 2806 times)

Cassie

Itchy ear and throat tubes
« on: August 28, 2016, 05:59:31 PM »

Ladies you are all so clever, I have tried googling but not much and forgot to ask my GP when I last saw him, I get an itch in the inside deep in my ear which runs down the side of my neck to my throat and drives me insane. Of late it has been accompanied by I guess one would call it phelgm or mucus causing me to cough and cough that I actually start gagging and heaving, its dreadful when it happens and I am in company as the coughing and heaving goes on for about 10 mins. I need to grab water, take small sips and try to stop the heaving and coughing spasms.  I dont ever get accumulation of mucus in the chest its in this inside area running down side of neck from ear to throat, any ideas? Im thinking allergies but it also happens when I get a cold, that is the area that gets bunged up and causes me to cough for days sometimes weeks on end and one cannot reach to scratch, its terribly unpleasant esp when ones ear tubes are hot itchy and sore....grrr....thankyou for letting me rant...

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Itchy ear and throat tubes
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 06:36:35 PM »

I have had allergic rhinitis since 1977.  I get similar.  Itchyness deep in the ears, we call it 'spaniel ear'  ::), there's an itch at the back of my throat where the nose meets the throat and I wake in the night scratching the roof of my mouth with my tongue, so much so that I get ulcers!

My GP prescribed Beconase nasal spray, I have used anti-histamine tablets to relieve symptoms too.

Tempest

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 09:46:39 PM »

Me too! Allergic rhinitis. It started in peri menopause. I use Stetimar all natural nasal spray (it's actually just sea water), and it works like a charm! It was recommended by the Consultant ENT Surgeon I saw at the hospital. He doesn't like the use of nasal steroids like Beconase long term as it can cause wide angled glaucoma!

It's worth a try, totally safe and under a fiver from Boots.

Let me know if you give it a go, and how you get on.

Incidentally, mine has now cleared up completely since I had my oopherectomy. Go figure!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2016, 09:49:03 PM »

……….   the roof of my mouth is irritating like fury  :-X  :sigh: and my ears are crackling ………