Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Chronic pain  (Read 11535 times)

Hattie

Re: Chronic pain
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2015, 09:32:09 AM »

:bighug:   so sorry Marras and Thorntrees

All you want is a day off sometimes from the pain.

Hattie

« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2015, 09:37:43 AM »

I have the same issues as Hattie and Judith 57 and its the PITS. I am going to see a Chinese accpunctorist tomorrow who worked in hospitals in China for ten years, so will report back. I did not get on with hypnotherapy.....

I have tried Chinese acupuncture at a Natural Health Centre - it didn't help but it may help you. Also If you try Western Style acupuncture which goes in closer with needes to the area it may help you.

A GP at the pain clinic did western style acupuncture on me - needles in the vulva and perineum at one point - she believes i have a trigger point in muscle that she couldn't shift.

Hattie X

Hattie

« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2015, 11:29:24 AM »

To be honest I have learnt to live with it mostly.

Thorntrees

Thorntrees

Could i please just ask you if you feel that your pain has lessened over time ? Have you got any other coping tips at all ?

I try not to feed the pain by giving it attention but it is easier said than done - i often find myself going into a tunnel or getting distressed neither of which is any good to me or others around me.

Thank you

Hattie X

thorntrees

« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2015, 12:42:19 PM »

Hi Hattie. It's difficult to say if the pain has lessened as I think I have just got used to it being there. Sometimes I seem to go through periods when it seems worse but that usually coincides with my feeling under the weather for some other reason when everything about life seems worse. There are practical things I do like  trying to keep the cold wind off my face but that only relates to my type of pain and wouldn't be relevant to you. You are right that it is very difficult to ignore constant pain,it's also difficult to explain to other people who can't understand why you can't just take a couple of paracetamol!. I know that if I can lose myself in a book or craft activity it fades into the background and I do try to keep my mind occupied but of course it doesn't always work. Sorry I can't be of more help, if I ever find a solution I will be posting on here. Take care .

Thorntrees

Hattie

« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2015, 01:46:13 PM »

Thank you Thorntrees

I think the bit i now need to overcome is just getting used to it being there -deep down i am still fighting it and wishing it away - my husband keeps saying to me to try and change my attitude.

I have read somewhere of a lady using mindfulness to eventually let back pain seem like different sensations in the body but i think it had taken her some time to achieve that.

Yes - like you i find any stress makes it all worse and the distractions do work at times for short periods.My best day recently has been when we went for a walk with my daughter in an area where i hadn't been before - the pain was always in the background but not so bad. I was where i wanted to be - new scenery etc - the brain is so complicated.

Many people think that if you have been to a pain clinic then things are solved - even i went along at first to the pain clinic with high hopes - by the end i was feeling quite cynical.

I will be posting too if i find a solution - one consultant said that in years to come there may be greater understanding and we will be laughed at for how things are treated now.
Take care too

Hattie X

Hattie

« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2015, 02:25:58 PM »

I am seriously considering giving up work now to try and concentrate on getting better, I might look into Body Stress Release as I have read that it can be quite successful in treating vulval pain.

Judith x x

Thanks Judith for mentioning the Body Stress Release - i've been looking into that this afternoon and sent off for a free booklet.

There is one practitioner in the next county to me.

Hattie X

Judith57

« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2015, 09:18:31 PM »

You never know Hattie, if we all pool our resources we might find something. I am so miserable with it all at the moment, this very day last year I was awake all night with the pain so took myself off to a private hospital on April 1st, they did a cystoscopy that afternoon to check for bladder cancer. I can't believe I am still searching for an answer a year later... :'(

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2015, 09:51:46 PM »

Neither can I.  For me acute pain is worse 'cos I don't know how long it's going to last and then I get scared  :'(

Hattie

« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2015, 08:12:55 AM »

Acute pain may last a while but it usually has an outcome as its function is for healing or warning in the body. If your pain lasts for 3 months or more you are moving into chronic pain.

Only a minor thing but i shut the corner of the car door on my leg recently - daft as i am ! - quite a painful mark but i found myself watching it healing more than i would ever have done in the past. So the body can heal there so why not in the vulva - maybe there are too many nerves there to be affected ?

Until someone develops a scanner that can see nerves especially in the pelvis to me it is all a bit of a shot in the dark regarding treatment.

Hattie X

Hattie

« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2015, 08:20:17 AM »

You never know Hattie, if we all pool our resources we might find something. I am so miserable with it all at the moment, this very day last year I was awake all night with the pain so took myself off to a private hospital on April 1st, they did a cystoscopy that afternoon to check for bladder cancer. I can't believe I am still searching for an answer a year later... :'(

i will post back on anything i try - as you say you never know. Looking round at Body Stress Release yesterday i came across one site and had a look at the cost - it said 350 per half hour - i thought What ?   ::)  then realised i was looking at a South African site and it was in Rand !! beam me up !

Hattie X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2015, 12:14:29 PM »

Oh I've done that with the car door too, the pointy bit at the bottom  >:( - when I had radiation treatment my body took longer to heal …………… it took about 5 years before healing became 'normal' for me.

Judith57

« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2015, 09:03:42 PM »

Tonight, for the first time in I can't remember when, I went for a drink after work with my colleagues. I was so nervous about it as it was going to involve sitting down. We got a taxi from work to a wine bar in Covent Garden and I sat with my hand underneath my right buttock as usual, got into the wine bar, found a table and sat with my hand underneath my right buttock - so fed up with it all. Here is the thing though, after about an hour of discomfort, with spasms in my pelvic floor, it gradually improved and after a few glasses of wine I found I could sit comfortably and chat to my friends - a combination of relaxation and distraction I guess. I couldn't sit on the train on the way home though but it does show that the brain has a lot to do with this pain. I'm not suggesting we spend our lives tipsy but we certainly do need to try and relax and divert our brains. I'm acutely aware of how vicious this circle is, pain = stress and stress = more pain, but how do we break it?

Hattie

« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2015, 08:42:59 AM »

Judith

If it helps at all my husband made me a type of 'cushion' to sit on which may save you putting your hand underneath your right buttock all the time.

We got two garden kneelers from B&Q and he stuck them together to make them thicker as they are quite thin then cut two rectangles out of them. When i do sit on a hard chair i put each piece under one buttock to keep the vulva area off of the chair.
i have two lots - one stays in the car permanently. The ones i got are bright yellow but could be covered with something to make it more discreet or a carry bag that folds around it for use.

I also made a 'U' shaped cushion out of a TKMax draught excluder - it is a thick one with harder foam - i bent it round to suit me then used strong sewing webbing to sew around the ends of it and underneath to keep it in a 'U' shape - bit of a challenge but it is holding together still.

I take some heart from someone on the 'other' forum who has healed after 10 years or so even though he is a man - he puts it down to mindbody approach - i can't quite get my head around it all at the moment but it does seem that the answer lies in your subconscious mind that is maintaining pain. As a woman though i do realise the menopause effect in the area is not helping healing - that area can heal easier when you are younger - so what is happening to us in the localised area probably isn't helping.

I am sort of hoping that the localised nerves can switch off or the brain gets tired of maintaining pain - i could deal with numb all the time.

Take Care

Hattie X

Hattie

« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2015, 08:45:00 AM »

- when I had radiation treatment my body took longer to heal …………… it took about 5 years before healing became 'normal' for me.

I had no idea that radiation treatment has that effect.

Hattie X

rosebud57

« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2015, 09:14:28 AM »

What's the 'other' forum??

Sound subversive!!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4