Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Update on my oestradiol levels/vaginal dryness advice  (Read 2698 times)

evey

Update on my oestradiol levels/vaginal dryness advice
« on: November 14, 2014, 05:54:52 PM »

Just a quick update, I had been using estrogel for 2 years but had lowlevels about 107 and recently started feeling awful, hot and very emotional, anyway received great advice here and have been applying the gel on my inner thigh for last 2 weeks instead of shoulder/arm, 1 pump am and 1 pump pm, after 6 days approx I gradually started feeling much better and now have no hot flushes, awful emotional ups and downs have gone so I am so pleased, I guess I can ask my Dr for another blood test in 3 months to see if my oestrogen level has increased (would be interesting) but certainly looks like it's working on my inner thigh absorbing, I just cannot understand how for 2 years of using the gel hardly anything was absorbed by rubbing on my arm!   Just one more thing is that vaginal dryness has come back and it is so sore, I do have an active sex life but it was agony last time, I have read about vagifem, can I use this whilst on my hrt? Many thanks once again for the advice with the gel, 😀

Dancinggirl

Re: Update on my oestradiol levels/vaginal dryness advice
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 06:26:58 PM »

Good news about using the gel on your inner thighs.
Yes, definitely can use Vagifem  alongside other HRT.  I was on Oestrogel for many years but still developed atrophy - I had a burning urethra and vaginal dryness. Though I mentioned this to various doctors over the years none of them thought to give me local oestrogen as well.  I moved to Suffolk and a new GP practise 3 years ago; at one of my HRT check ups i mentioned my problems and the practise nurse was surprised I hadn't been given local oestrogen as she thought it was well known that systemic oestrogen doesn't always prevent VA and local oestrogen should have been prescribed years ago!!
DG x

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2014, 06:27:31 PM »

Hi evey

Glad the oestrogel is working for you.

You sure can! There are several of us on here who use vaginal oestrogen as well as systemic HRT because it delivers a high concentration of estradiol straight to the vaginal tissues with minimal systemic absorption. In fact this is recognised on this website:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/local.php

Hurdity x

evey

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 12:47:00 PM »

Thanks, I have a Dr appointment to ask for the Vagifem.