Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Hurrah finally got a hrt friendly doctor  (Read 4153 times)

Dandelion

Hurrah finally got a hrt friendly doctor
« on: November 13, 2014, 12:01:41 PM »

Hi

I just came back from seeing GP number 4 at our surgery, and I am pleased to say its a case of 4th time lucky, this doctor was positive.
I took an email from Dr Currie, and this lovely GP asked to see it.
I told her I had been on oestrogen patch 50mcg and it started to improve things really quickly but I still have flushes and sweats, just not so many, so, the lovely doctor allowed me to go upto 75mcg patch and she also gave me utrogestan.
Last night was my first utrogestan pill and so far there are no horrible side effects from it.
I'm feeling really hopeful about hrt for the first time since I decided to start it last year.
I can't say I will miss my wet bra,
I can't say I will miss needing my fan on in bed, yet at the same time, feeling a cold draught from it.
I can't say I will miss feeling like I need a shower as soon as I have come out of the shower and got dressed, and,
i cannot say I will miss that 'very warm' feeling that starts off where your heart is, and radiates out, culminating in a glasses steaming hair drenching sweat.

hahahahahahhahahahhah :)

kiltgirl

Re: Hurrah finally got a hrt friendly doctor
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 09:25:35 PM »

Congrats Dandelion, glad you got a decent GP,you must be so chuffed...hope your new regime sorts you out

:) :) :)

Limpy

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 09:48:07 PM »

Glad to hear it Dandelion.

Dandelion

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2014, 05:30:10 AM »

Thank you both of you  :)

Liz

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2014, 07:33:50 AM »

Great news Dandelion!  Really pleased you've got your Utrogestan...... are you taking it on days 15-26 of your cycle?  That's why I'm doing (with my Oestrogel every day).

The only side effects Ive noticed are feeling tired whilst on the Utro, and a few strange dreams (nothing too bad!).

Keep us posted!

babyjane

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2014, 10:13:07 AM »

so pleased to read that you have found a doctor you can trust.  they are worth their weight in gold.  Good luck withyour treatment.

TropicalVon69

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2014, 10:34:30 AM »

Thats great Dandelion...onwards and upwards ;D XXX

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2014, 11:07:47 AM »

So pleased to hear this Dandelion and I hope the new HRT works for you!

Hurdity x :)

Dandelion

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2014, 08:10:27 PM »

Great news Dandelion!  Really pleased you've got your Utrogestan...... are you taking it on days 15-26 of your cycle?  That's why I'm doing (with my Oestrogel every day).

The only side effects Ive noticed are feeling tired whilst on the Utro, and a few strange dreams (nothing too bad!).

Keep us posted!
Hi

I am taking it on days 17-28

I don't understand day 15-26

Katy

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2014, 09:36:20 AM »

Glad you've finally found a good doctor and hope you continue to feel better and better :) I know you've been struggling for a while now to get what you need.

Katy x

jasmine5

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2014, 05:59:10 PM »

I had a Gp appointment recently to hopefully get a new script for Estradot 50 patches.  I was dreading it as the last time I went the Practice Nurse proceeded to lecture me on the 'risks' of taking hrt for over 5 years and how I should think about stopping :( 

I was actually very pleasantly surprised as I saw a lovely young lady Gp who said she was very pro hrt and explained  that no-one should ever stop 'cold turkey' as I have tried to do but reduce very slowly as in a natural menopause, where the oestrogen levels deplete very slowly over time.  She also said that winter and dark nights are not a good time to start reducing the dose and it would be much better to wait until summer.

I was even more suprised when she said that if I chose I could stay on the current dose of Estradot 50mcg until I was 60 (56 now) and then she would prescribe 25mcg for six months or more in order to gradually reduce over time.  She explained that the dose was very low anyway and this made the risks also low.

I feel so very relived now that I was able to talk openly and honestly with her about hrt/risks/advantages without feeling that I'm being judged or that I'm some sort of wuss because I wasn't able to go throught the menopause 'naturally' without intervention.  I found her lovely manner so very informative and extremely refreshing.  We need more Gp's like this.  xx

Hurdity

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2014, 08:11:18 PM »

Good news jasmine5 - but also you don't need to reduce at 60 if you don't want to! Well no harm in trying for a while - as I have done at odd times - latest was last year when I was 60, the doc reduced me to 37.5 mcg because of spotting and investigations - but the flushes and sweats came back so I asked to go back to 50 mcg which keeps me on an even keel, now at 61.

You just have to be careful about things like fibroids ( I have a small one) if you are on cyclical HRT like I am - maybe you've had a hysterectomy or you have a Mirena so don't need to think about the progestogen?

Anyway great to hear good news stories about helpful GPs - mine is too!

Hurdity x