Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Will GP refer me for intolerance testing?  (Read 12954 times)

Rowan

Re: Will GP refer me for intolerance testing?
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2014, 05:07:16 PM »

I have my first injection for desensitisation on Tuesday, I do feel apprehensive especially that I have to stay in the hospital for an hour afterwards, just in case of a reaction.

Almost wish they had just prescribed an EpiPen, then put me on this programme.

Ju Ju

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2014, 08:14:01 PM »

Oh the fear of accidents..... :(

honeybun

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2014, 08:25:43 PM »

It's horrible. I take it you have been there Ju Ju.

The other morning hubby had to be at the hospital at 9 am. It's a good 30 miles away so we had to leave at 8am.  I had to be awake at 6am just to get the morning problems over.
The first thing I needed to do when we got there was visit the loo. I spent most of the journey worrying if I would get there on time.

My life is governed by my bum some days especially if my anxiety is bad.  :-\

Honeyb
x

Joyce

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2014, 08:41:43 PM »

I've looked up IBS & am going to print off & take to GP. Not thinking it is IBS, but will mark my symptoms down as a reference.
I actually tried taking lactase tablets once to counteract the lactose, ended up gagging on them. Not sure why. Head & stomach were not in agreement over them.
Had tartare sauce the other day & was OK with that. It has egg in too like mayonaise. Bit of a mystery at the moment. Not trying to self diagnose, just need to know what's actually causing problem. Got meal out in couple of weeks & they do a dairy free menu, which is great, but not much use if it's something else. Not expecting to be sent for tests if I'm honest, but will see what this new GP thinks.

Joyce

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2014, 09:00:28 PM »

I've kept a note of it sparkle. Will work my way through it. Thanks for the reference.

honeybun

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2014, 10:06:08 PM »

Hope it all goes well SL.

Much better to get it sorted than rely on an Epipen. You need to be in a bad way before you use that. Very scary..

Let us know how you get on and what the treatment entails.
Lots of us have had an increase in allergies so it will be interesting to find out how it all goes.

Honeyb
x

Rowan

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2014, 09:19:19 AM »

Thanks HB, the nurse in A&E said the same thing about allergies being on the increase and that you can become allergic to anything at any time even if it has never

happened before.  It was very scary when my lips swelled up and the back of my throat started to tighten, I think the adrenaline jab in my bottom scared me even more ::)

The Doctor I saw said his young Niece had the same thing, the first time it happened in a restaurant and she now has an EpiPen.

Since I have avoided all the foods the Immunologist told me to, I have not had the tell-tale ****ling lips and back of throat or the throat tightening.

It really is true that "One mans meat is another mans poison"

Ju Ju

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2014, 11:46:52 AM »

I've had cameras down top and bottom end, but all clear, so put down to functional problems.  Concern was shown by the GP when I told her I had the oesophagus spasms when I ate meat or fish when presented whole, but not if cooked till very tender in liquid. How this ties in with the intolerance issues with wheat I have no idea. I have been seeing Body Stress Release practitioner for the past year or so for other reasons, but mentioned this problem to her. She found the muscles round that area are very tight ( I can't bear wearing anything round my neck and even touching the area is uncomfortable.) She has been working on the muscles, which I hate, but has really helped. I can eat tender chicken and even home made hamburgers now. My theory is that I held myself tensely all my life, maybe as an emotional protection from child hood experiences. No longer needed, but a habit very difficult to break, but I think the Body Stress Release treatment, along with yoga and even singing is helping. My dentist I formed me that my teeth are wearing down due to grinding my teeth. I had no idea, but now wear a mouth guard at night to protect what is left. The things we do to ourselves!

Joyce

« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2014, 08:18:47 PM »

Oh heck stomach well & truly screwed today & don't know what has caused it. Not eaten dairy, not eaten egg. Checked everything. Unless it's something hidden. It's the hidden stuff that I can't account for that's the worst. Whatever it was, I must have had a reasonable quantity of as reaction was quite long lasting. Settling down now.

Darn those ABs I had for pneumonia 18 years or so ago. Stomach been messed up ever since.

Joyce

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2014, 11:37:24 AM »

Well having various blood tests done tomorrow. Says they may not show anything. Will only show up if there is a definite allergy. He told me many of these tests are a waste of time. However, he's prescribed peppermint capsules to use instead of immodium. Also suggested lactase enzymes. I'll need to check into that first though as didn't get on too well with them last time.

Rowan

« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2014, 12:14:12 PM »

Had my first injection she took my blood pressure after she had told me that there had been some deaths, it was high :o no wonder. I am not sure if I can make the commitment needed for this treatment especially when I read that it is not for anyone under five or over fifty.

http://www.allergy-clinic.co.uk/more-about-allergy/desensitization-immunotherapy/

Going to think about this and decide at my next appointment on Tuesday

I had to take antihistamine before the injection and do the peak flow test and then wait to see if there was a reaction, they said don't worry we have all the equipment for resuscitation at hand so don't wander off :o

I am beginning to think that this treatment is for people who are much worse then me.

Woke up with a panic attack last night the first for over three years, the worst worry for me was that my blood pressure was high that bothered me more then anything, I hate hospitals and have white coat syndrome, and the thought of going to one each week for 15 weeks and then every two weeks is putting me into a panic.

Not sure what to do at the moment.

Will post this in the "Allergies" thread too not sure if this is the right thread.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 12:23:44 PM by silverlady »

Joyce

« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2014, 05:15:10 PM »

Collected prescription for Colpermin capsules. It says to take when symptoms flare up, then stop once settled after 1 to 2 weeks. My symptoms settle within a day usually. Sorry maybe I'm thick. The way GP described it I could take for indigestion too, but that would be after food, yet supposed to take before food. He said better than taking immodium, but as I don't know when it's going to flare up........

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2014, 06:14:28 PM »

Colpermin can be bought over the counter.  Cubagirl: I was told to take it within the hour of my main meals - it is used to ease wind high up and helped me enormously.  Added to Motillium which I took with the Colpermin, I swallowed 3 small tablets 3 times a day.  The combination saved my Life.

Colpermin however made me smell of peppermint when I did a pooh  ;D ………

Give them a whirl?  If they ease some symptoms you'll be on a winner  ;) ……

Silverlady - you are probably stressed, understandably - so your BP will be raised before each injection.  'much worse than you'  -  subjective?  See how you feel on Monday, go along on Tuesday and take a list of concerns with you?

Hattie

« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2014, 10:17:02 AM »

Just wanted send a  :hug:  to you Cubagirl and Silverlady - you have both been very kind to me on the forum.

It is difficult when hospitals hold bad memories and then you have to go along yourself.

Hattie X

Joyce

« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2014, 10:57:56 AM »

Silverlady, I have white coat syndrome too. Yesterday I was convinced GP would check my BP just for the h£#l of it! Started to panic, so did some breathing exercises. Today off to get bloods done in an hour. Told they'd need to take quite a bit for all the tests they're doing. Hope nurse doesn't do BP check before that!!!  I really do sympathise with you.

Hugs to all you lovely ladies.  :hug:

Pages: 1 [2] 3