Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Doctors, different advice on statins  (Read 3091 times)

Joyce

Doctors, different advice on statins
« on: December 01, 2014, 06:37:49 PM »

Met with friend today. Both of us have raised cholesterol levels. Me 6.8 her 7.0, both given different advice. Mine told me that I didn't need statins yet, but should keep close eye on it. Friends surgery told her everyone should be on statins, especially at our age. Once you are on statins, you have to stay on them for life. We're both the same age, both take tablets for BP & both of us have had family members with heart problems.

I'm quite glad my GP is letting me try to reduce it naturally.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Doctors, different advice on statins
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 06:39:44 PM »

These are being pushed by the drug companies  >:( - how much do GPs get paid for each statin prescription?  :-\

……. my cholesterol is 7.1 but I am doing 'everything right' so the GP said 'watch and wait'.  That was 2 years ago.  I wouldn't take statins because I don't think for me they are necessary.   I rattle already. 

rosebud57

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 08:38:07 AM »

Agree totally with CLKD.  My GP is not pushing statins and thats fine by me.  In fact recent surveys of GPs found a large percentage would not take them themselves or recommend to family and friend.  I expect that sometime in the next few years science will be able to show the damage statins do definitively and that will be the end of it.  Just remember you do not have to take what a doctor wants you to.  Its your body, and your in charge.  Do some research on statins and make up your own mind.

Ju Ju

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, 08:59:45 AM »

My husband was encouraged to try exercise to counteract his blood pressure levels, but couldn't keep up the level of activity that made any impression as he gets older. He is slim, active and eats a healthy diet. His GP says it is heredity and that not enough is understood for people in his position, whose higher blood pressure levels are not obviously caused by lifestyle. Is a higher level fine in his case? However, as he got older his levels rose, so he is now on medication, though not without side effects.

Joyce

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2014, 09:12:46 AM »

Have read a few things on statins. Quite a few basically saying yes they reduce cholesterol, but can do damage to other organs. My friend's husband was put on them too. I am doing what I can to bring it down naturally. Have done it before, I'll do it again.

honeybun

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2014, 09:22:31 AM »

My sister used herbal stuff from Jan Dr Vries with great success. I can ask her what they were called if anyone would be interested.

I have not had my cholesterol checked for a very long time. Must see to that in the New Year.

Honeyb
x

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2014, 10:38:56 AM »

Probably a reminder for me to Honeybun - yep, let us know! please.

Katejo

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2014, 06:32:38 PM »

Met with friend today. Both of us have raised cholesterol levels. Me 6.8 her 7.0, both given different advice. Mine told me that I didn't need statins yet, but should keep close eye on it. Friends surgery told her everyone should be on statins, especially at our age. Once you are on statins, you have to stay on them for life. We're both the same age, both take tablets for BP & both of us have had family members with heart problems.

I'm quite glad my GP is letting me try to reduce it naturally.

I also have raised cholesterol level (currently about 6.5) and my GP practice has repeatedly suggested this but i resist strongly. I don't have any other issues such as high blood pressure or  heart problems. I am not overweight, eat a pretty healthy diet and do a reasonable amount of exercise. On my last assessment, i was told that my risk level for strokes or similar was below average for my current age (51). I suspect that my higher figure is thyroid related because exercise makes no difference.  I really don't want to take them because i have heard that it is then hard to give them up if you have side effects.

Joyce

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2014, 07:11:34 PM »

GP told me today, that he is not too worried about my cholesterol. If I up the exercise I'll be fine.

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2014, 07:44:47 PM »

Off to the exercise thread then  ;)