Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 67

Author Topic: It's not Christmas yet!  (Read 142889 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: It's not Christmas yet!
« Reply #165 on: December 14, 2016, 06:03:51 PM »

For those that arrive after my box has had the lid replaced I send New Year ones ;-).  I use NY ones for those who don't celebrate C.mas too.

I bought 2 more small decorations this afternoon. 

CLKD

« Reply #166 on: January 03, 2017, 11:22:44 PM »

Re-gifting anyone - 4 or against?

We have passed gifts around our family for at least 50 years.  Mum would make note of what we were given on the day, put items away until the next year when they would be used for birthdays or given again at C.mas.  We've been known to iron wrapping paper too and some shiny bits got smaller and smaller over the years .......... lasted to my knowledge for at least 5 and would be remarked upon each time  ::)

Dana

« Reply #167 on: January 04, 2017, 03:56:40 AM »

I have no problem at all with re-gifting, but there are a couple of rules......

1.  When you receive something that is crap don't pass your crap on to other people because they are going to think it's crap too.

2.  If it is a perfectly presentable gift, but just not to your taste, make sure you put the name of the person who gave it to you on it so that when you do re-gift it you don't give it back to the same person, or any person who may be in that same group of friends/family.

I don't give gift anymore, so I have no need to wrapping paper, but I gave up using wrapping paper years ago. For a long time I used those lovely gift bags which are pretty inexpensive to buy and they can be recycled multiple times.

babyjane

« Reply #168 on: January 04, 2017, 04:36:09 PM »

Mother used to get so cross if I tore the wrapping paper when unwrapping something as she wanted to save it to be used the next year  :-\

cubagirl

« Reply #169 on: January 04, 2017, 11:05:17 PM »

My mum ironed wrapping paper for following year. As for regifting, not sure I like that. Saw a thing on news tonight where a toddler had been gifted a very expensive pedal car, I mean in region of £2,000. It was at a centre for unwanted presents to be given to charity. Not sure what I make of that at all. Yes charity will benefit, but what about person who gifted it?

Dana

« Reply #170 on: January 04, 2017, 11:34:54 PM »

Do we really know that it was "re-gifted" though? Maybe it was from someone who just no longer had a use for it.

Anyway, obviously most re-gifted items aren't going to be in that price range. I have no problem with it. It's far better to re-gift something than leave it sitting it in a cupboard only to get thrown out years later. At least the next recipient may get some use out of it. I'm sure many gifts I've given in the past have been re-gifted and I'm fine with it.

Katejo

« Reply #171 on: January 05, 2017, 09:18:57 AM »

Mother used to get so cross if I tore the wrapping paper when unwrapping something as she wanted to save it to be used the next year  :-\
My Mum was just the same. She used to iron it after Xmas! We joked about it this year.

Hurdity

« Reply #172 on: January 05, 2017, 06:03:14 PM »

On the 12th Day of Christmas my true love sent to me...... la la la ..... and a partridge in a pear tree. We would be celebrating tonight with the last day of fairy lights and decorations and tree, but my husband is unwell so won't be eating or drinking! ....before taking it all down tomorrow. Then everything will look so bare.

Re wrapping paper. Very good for anyone that re-uses the following year - Christmas is such a wasteful time of unnecessary consumption! I never iron it but we always unwrap presents carefully and I cut various sized squares from the unwrappings and put in a bag for next year - someone has to recycle stuff! I also cut the pictures off the cards, punch holes and add twine to make all my gift tags too....I have a friend who wraps presents in old magazine pages! I'm not like your mum though babyjane  ;D. No crossness especially not on Christmas Day!!! However my daughter has obviously rebelled against this and buys very good quality wrapping paper and lovely cloth ribbons ( also makes arty gift tags) and each present she wraps is a work of art!!!

Happy 12th night everyone  :drunk:

Hurdity x :)

dulciana

« Reply #173 on: January 05, 2017, 06:05:43 PM »

Happy 12th Night to you, too, Hurdity!   

CLKD

« Reply #174 on: January 05, 2017, 06:57:53 PM »

It's tomorrow  :-\

My cards/decs. will come down over the next few days .........

Hurdity

« Reply #175 on: January 05, 2017, 08:55:29 PM »

Um well this comes up everywhere every year if you google it and look at all the newspaper articles. I think the consensus is that today is the 12th day of Christmas - it has to be - otherwise you don't count Christmas Day. The song talks about the days "of" Christmas not the days "after" Christmas. Why would 26th Dec be the first day of Christmas? Christmas tide ends today and tomorrow is Epiphany (in the Christian calendar).  However there are still some folks who insist it is tomorrrow - but there is nothing to support that argument in my book!!! Anyway in the old days decs were kept up until Candlemas (2nd Feb) and still are in some parts. The 12 days idea is a relatively recent thing I think. Ideally they should be taken down today - but I'm not going to wait up until just before midnight so that they are up for the whole of Christmas and then not afterwards.

So there  :na:

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #176 on: January 05, 2017, 10:28:07 PM »

:na: ......... me, I don't know what day it is  ::) but found myself humming 'the 12 days of C.mas' whilst in the bath  ;D

Mine still won't be coming down for a few days, little steps and all that .........  :whist:

dahliagirl

« Reply #177 on: January 05, 2017, 11:03:48 PM »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b086kdzs

I watched this over Christmas.  They reckon the 12 days of Christmas were part of the old agricultural world when you downed tools mid-winter,  and were shortened to Christmas Eve and Day during the industrial revolution when time off was scarce.  In early Victorian times, 12th Day was generally considered to be the 6th.  They even make a massive cake to celebrate, with icing that they have to bake (rather unsuccessfully) in the oven.  Worth watching for that!  ;)

CLKD

« Reply #178 on: January 05, 2017, 11:06:27 PM »

:thankyou:

dahliagirl

« Reply #179 on: January 06, 2017, 11:15:40 AM »

;D  No trouble  ;D

Come to think of it, I think that the 12 days extended to epiphany in a deliberate attempt to keep the religious side in peoples minds.  Will have to watch again.......

I missed my fairy lights last year which I kept up for a week too long.  So I bought some year round ones.

We had to take the normal ones down for Christmas (and clean the spider detritus off them) and now I have to take the Christmas ones down and put the usual ones back up again.  Making work for myself.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 67