Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 67

Author Topic: It's not Christmas yet!  (Read 138610 times)

babyjane

Re: It's not Christmas yet!
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2014, 03:00:22 PM »

We have cut our card list right down mostly to elderly relatives who wouldn't understand why they didn't get a card, and relatives abroad who we don't see often. We give cards to our children and grandchildren but people we see almost daily we don't. We don't buy each other presents now but we go halves in something for the home that we would really like.  this year it is a picture for our newly decorated sitting room. Our son and his family are having a game that they can all enjoy and our daughter and her new husband are having a joint item for their new home as they have such a lot still to get. The grandchildren will get a selection of small gifts.

Do others invest in a lot of extra food and drink or not?  We have some treats that we don't normally have but on the whole we don't get a lot that we would not normally get, perhaps better quality - organic veg and Taste the Difference type things instead of the standard range. We do get nice coffee and bread from the local baker, eggs meat and veg from the farm shop. It all costs more so we invest in quality at Christmas rather than quantity.

honeybun

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2014, 03:35:19 PM »

We used to buy enough food for a small army because I did Xmas dinner for years and would end up with about 15 to feed. Now it's just the four of us with perhaps my daughter's boyfriend this year I don't buy nearly as much.
A few treats, but like you I would rather have the quality rather than quantity. We have a fish smoke house just outside our village and he does smoked meats and game too. It's way too expensive for every week but we treat ourselves at Xmas.

As for gifts. We cut down on that last year except for the young children in the family. My daughter wants a bits and bobs Xmas. I am buying my son water colour paints, good paper and brushes as he is showing an interest in painting again.
Hubby will get something special too  ::).

Honeyb
x

groundhog

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2014, 03:47:14 PM »

Interesting thread ladies as I do wonder what others do at Christmas.  I have tried to cut down but there are some family members who insist on buying.  I even buy for some cousins as they buy for me.  I don't want to be the one who says - nicely - look let's stop this as I would seem like a misery guts ( or would they be relieved? ).  As for cards,  well I think I will cut down this year as we live out of town and it must be a right pain for some people to have to trek up here to deliver cards to us.  I tend to buy my daughter the usuals - nightwear, perfume, maybe some jewellery - she had a pandora bracelet for her 30th so I could add to that.  I spoil my nephews :). Hubby - again usuals and maybe a joint present for the house.  As for hubby to me - well that has got silly - he leaves it all to last minute then panics resulting in sometimes expensive mistakes.  One year he bought me a gravy boat :(
Food and drink - I do buy more than normal as it saves going out to shops - we have traditions and my husband always insists on buying stollen which invariably goes in the bin :(
We try to retain the true meaning of Christmas and appreciate the important things in life. 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2014, 03:54:08 PM »

;D .. who are we pleasing here?

Last year my sister didn't get me anything for my 60th ……. and with Mum telling me that my sister is 'hard up' I decided to cut my misery and wrote in January - no more gifts, nice cards through the year and at celebrations.  So we now buy for my Mum and his brother/wife and each other.

Food - we go to Mum for C.mas so she buys veg., puds., makes the bread sauce - we take a brace of pheasants and the crackers; a lump of beef for Boxing Day when we 3 go to his brother's.  My sister lives 5/6 hours drive away and works Cmas and New Year - I send her 2 boys cheques - job done.

We don't buy extra.  Shops are open Boxing Day here so no need.  The 4 years we were able to have C.mas here we ate our pud. mid-morning after a long, quiet walk and DH  :-* cooked evening meal as 'normal'. 

honeybun

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2014, 04:08:53 PM »

We have cut down on cards over the years. Used to send and receive dozens. Now we take our local cards to our Boys Brigade group and for a donation  they deliver them all.

Hubby loves Xmas, he is like a big kid. Lots of sneaking around and surprises  ::). This year will be a bit different as he has just bought me an IPad. That's me done. I am really looking forward to it. We don't generally spend that much but my son is contributing to it too.

I like my decorations but they don't go up until the week before. Some people have them up in November but that's far too early for me.

Honeyb
x

Morwenna

« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2014, 04:16:21 PM »

One year he bought me a gravy boat :(

:rofl:

honeybun

« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2014, 04:20:11 PM »

Oh heck, I missed that bit  :o.  What on earth was he thinking about.

Honeyb
x

CLKD

« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2014, 04:21:05 PM »

Our decs go up in time for my birthday, have to have my tree up by the 18th.  It's in the loft, ready dressed - haul it through the gap in the roof, plug in the lights and hey presto! job done.  I love the cards ……. saves me having to dust surfaces  ;)

A gravy boat is OK as long as it's not for use but something one is collecting ……… one year M in L gave me table spoons for my birthday  :-\ - I could see the point but DH was horrified.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 04:23:21 PM by CLKD »

Taz2

« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2014, 04:24:35 PM »

My husband myself and our sons all write lists for what we would like for Christmas - much like when you're small and write to Santa! I find it's by far the best way to get things that we would like. I have no idea of what my sons really like since they moved out or what they've already got. I like to get their lists early so I can sit on here and just order everything without having to go into town. I always make a stocking for each of them too and my husband makes one for me - sometimes this is the hardest part as it's difficult after over thirty years of stocking-making to find something a little bit different. We always use large socks and I always over do it and have to have an overflow bag as well. I still love that part of Christmas morning - waking up to see a stocking by the bed full of goodies.

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2014, 05:30:52 PM »

DH always buys the same things for me, it's sort of 'custom'  ::) - hope he chooses comfier knickers this year  ;D  :D

Joyce

« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2014, 05:42:07 PM »

;D Oh heck could never entrust knicker buying to hubby. He probably wouldn't get size right to start with.

I've said I'd like new pair of ankle boots. But may change my mind.  ;D

groundhog

« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2014, 06:00:46 PM »

The Gravyboat - as I say he panics.  I had been collecting the Holly&Ivy range by portmeirion potteries.  But this particular year I had lost 3 stone and was slim for the first time in my life so somehow a gravy boat was a bit disappointing :(. I shouldn't mock though pity he does try his best.  It was a nice Gravyboat lol but I think some nice lingerie would have been more suiting.
I'm fat again now lol but still wouldn't want a flaming Gravyboat.

You will love your ipad HB - I love mine but it steals your time :).

Dyan

« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2014, 06:21:07 PM »

You will love your ipad HB - I love mine but it steals your time :).
[/quote]

It certainly will GH ;D

Christmas - starts too early to me.
December 1st!

Ju Ju

« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2014, 07:56:31 PM »

My daughter and her partner are really struggling financially. She makes her own cards. This years she will make all her presents, eg mango chutney, cookies etc. I have asked her to make me some naughty things, which I tend to go without as I have a limited diet. I love her presents. They mean so much as she puts time, effort, thought and love into them.

CLKD

« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2014, 08:08:26 PM »

DH made picolli etc. 1 year - she may be able to get jam jars from asking on Freecycle/freegle  ;)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 67