Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Ebola - how scared should we be?  (Read 15408 times)

Taz2

Re: Ebola - how scared should we be?
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2014, 04:48:16 PM »

I was moved to tears yesterday morning listening to this teenage boy speaking on the Today programme on Radio 4 http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-29647375  It brings home how many children have been affected and orphaned.

Taz x

oldsheep

« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2014, 05:06:31 PM »

yes Taz, and when and if it's under control, there will be famine and terrible hardship in what are already devastated communities. They've just had civil wars there too. Unimaginable hardship.
I'm encouraging donations to MSF. They've been at the frontline all along and will be there when it's no longer in the news.

Rowan

« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2014, 05:24:00 PM »

It is so sad Sierra Leone is such a poor country and most are suspicious of western medicine and still prefer tribal healers.

My father worked there, my mother would not move there with him so the family only went out there for three months of the year, she hated it! they practiced voodoo and it scared her, and the poverty overwhelming. 

Its mostly why the ebola has not been contained and people have been dying from it in Sierra Leone at least from the seventies.

It is a tragedy that the West have known little about.  Tribal wars and greed of the leaders all add to the devastation.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 05:27:25 PM by silverlady »

Joyce

« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2014, 02:43:56 PM »

They say he was monitoring his temperature twice daily.  It's still supposed to be hard to catch. However, I feel that those health workers who are returning home from Ebola hit areas should have their movements restricted, even quarantined. They hopefully will not infect others, but if they were restricted it would save all this panic. They are fully expecting someone from my area to come back with it before long due to number of guys working on the rigs  in far flung places.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2014, 02:45:04 PM »

Certainly in order to have a foot-print about Ebola any workers should be quarantined for 6 weeks on return.  That way any variation in symptoms  or presentation can be caught early!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]