Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Ebola - how scared should we be?  (Read 15485 times)

Taz2

honeybun

Re: Ebola - how scared should we be?
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2014, 07:59:40 PM »

Still think they need to close things down to control the spread of this disease.

Otherwise we will all be affected.

Honeyb
x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2014, 08:17:36 PM »

No we won't! There was a lady on Radio2 last week who is involved with education in an affected area.  That area is quarantined so anyone leaving undergoes stringent tests for several days.  She has to travel as that is part of her job.  So the area she works in is under strict control.

The incubation period is 21 days. After that the person can infect others.  If you read all the reports in the various weekend papers the risk to others is rare particularly now that we are hygiene aware.  The danger to others comes when there is lack of barrier clothing available, when people handling dead bodies but are not equipped with proper clothing come into contact with bodily fluids.  The best thing that the West can do is to make sure that those in the front line have the correct equipment and clothing.  Those UK aiders who flew out on Friday will not necessarily be repatriated should they fall sick to stop any risk of spread. 

If it isn't AIDs then bird 'flu, now Ebola.  People with low immune systems or those not able to handle direct contact in a safe way may well catch the virus and die. 

honeybun

« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2014, 09:31:06 PM »

Oh that's cheery CLKD.

" People with low immune systems or those not able to handle direct contact in a safe way may well catch the virus and die.".

Like my hubby you mean  :-\

Lock the countries down and keep it out.....that will protect us all and get it under control.

Hopefully a vaccine will come in the not too distant future.

Honeyb
x

Joyce

« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2014, 09:49:57 PM »

Will be interesting to see what transpires from the new case in America. They say all precautions were taken, but obviously not or this nurse would not have contracted it. They were saying on news it may have been in breathing equipment. So someone wasn't following correct procedures.

Taz2

« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2014, 09:51:22 PM »

Reasons here as to why it would not be a good idea to stop air travel in and out of Ebola affected countries http://www.securitymanagement.com/news/banning-air-travel-and-west-africa-will-not-stop-ebola-spread-cdc-official-says-0013763

A vaccine will be good - wonder how long it would take to vaccinate the whole population of west Africa.

Taz x

honeybun

« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2014, 09:58:49 PM »

There have to be more restrictions.

Ok medical personnel but no one else.

Yes vaccinating a population this size would be a challenge but if the nurses and doctors could treat without being in danger then at least it would be a start....and we have to start somewhere.

Honeyb
x

rosebud57

« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2014, 08:41:35 AM »

'The only thing we have to fear is fear itself'

Franklin D. Roosevelt (32nd President of the USA)

oldsheep

« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2014, 04:01:42 PM »

It makes me angry that no-one gave a damn until western countries started getting a very few cases.
This is a disease that is mostly spread by poverty and insufficient medical care, and mostly by wholly inadequate amounts of money in the disease's host countries. The countries worst affected are in a very poor state and have been involved in wars in recent years. There's also quite a lot of rural or traditional burial practices, and deep mistrust of govt, which has helped it to spread. MSF has been doing wonderful work, almost alone, for months. All their calls for money have fallen on deaf ears.
Now late in the day, some money and resources are finally being chucked at it. It's a problem that could be greatly reduced with sufficient funds.

I can imagine that there may be a few cases in London and wonder how the NHS will cope. Our local A&E is already on the 'dangerous/not fit for purpose' list and the wait is up to 6 hours in a very crowded open space waiting room....

What I don't understand is why there isn't a EU ban on flights from the affected countries (there is a UK ban) although even more helpful surely would be to screen passengers prior to departure?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2014, 06:57:47 PM »

How would 1 be screened?  The virus takes 28 days to develop ……….. as stated, this is rife as our other diseases, i.e. measles, whooping cough, in under-developed counties.  Where health care is rare …… and widely spread so that people travel for days to get to Hospitals, by which time  :-\

Honeybun - how are you likely to come into contact with a carrier?  I think we need to worry about more pressing issues, i.e. security …………

honeybun

« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2014, 08:02:34 PM »

I don't think I will CLKD being in the wilds of Scotland.

It amuses me in a very odd way that the so called rich countries are called to help. We send millions of pounds a year to help these countries. There leaders seem to be able to live in the lap of luxury while all around them live in abject poverty..Something very wrong with that.
I will put large sums of money on the fact that leaders of the effected  countries have left long ago, funded by our money  :-\

Honeyb
x

Rowan

« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2014, 10:13:38 AM »

Latest  http://www.who.int/en/

Worlds Health Organization

Joyce

« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2014, 01:20:38 PM »

Can't believe what has happened in US regarding this. Thought they would have been ultra, ultra careful, but obviously not. Now they are saying the arrival of the UK troops will be of little use for at least another  6 weeks or so. Too little, too late. It was fine when on someone else's doorstep, but now it's on theirs. WHO & MSF have been warning of this outbreak for months.

Hurdity

« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2014, 01:28:33 PM »

Interview with Director of Global Health at Public Health England puts it all in perspective:

https://publichealthmatters.blog.gov.uk/2014/10/15/expert-interview-is-ebola-a-risk-to-the-uk/

Hurdity x

oldsheep

« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2014, 04:11:10 PM »

Interview with Director of Global Health at Public Health England puts it all in perspective:

https://publichealthmatters.blog.gov.uk/2014/10/15/expert-interview-is-ebola-a-risk-to-the-uk/

Hurdity x

He makes a good point about malaria. Terrible disease, very common just not as sexy for the media I suppose.
However I'd not be too happy sharing a plane's toilet with anyone infected with Ebola!
What worries me is what happens here when flu season strikes. How are the NHS going to distinguish between ordinary flu and Ebola in places like London, where you are in pretty close contact with so many people, including who knows how many who may have been in West Africa. The early symptoms are pretty much the same.
Just the thought of NHS Direct being able to deal with this is a bad joke. Most sensible suggestion I've seen lately is skype contact between doctors and worried patients. There will be loads of scared people with ordinary flu as there were with SARS etc.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4