Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Feeling Anti Social  (Read 19088 times)

Rowan

Re: Feeling Anti Social
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2014, 03:28:30 PM »

My OH is the same well he was never one for small talk socially except if its about football in a male setting. We go for hours without speaking it use to upset me too but have got use to it.

Yet public speaking was once his forte which he really enjoyed.

The trick as you get older is to just find people that you really like and want to spend some time with or not, the rest is too exhausting and hard going.

People who up lift you and don't drain your life source are the best, so that you can recharge each other.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2014, 04:17:04 PM »

:thankyou: Silverlady.  We have friends, seldom seen but when we do meet up, we pick up as if we've never been apart.  Others are OK for a few hours (or less  ;) ).  Family is more difficult so we don't see them as often as they would like us to visit ……..

residualheat

« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2014, 05:28:18 PM »

Another quiet person here - I could win medals for being anti-social!

OH is even more anti-social than me so, on the whole, we get on pretty well and can just sit and mumble at each other.

Limpy

« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2014, 05:40:41 PM »

It's strange.
Sometimes we meet up with people and the first 2 or 3 hours are fine.
After that I find talking, oops sorry, conversation difficult.
And it's not just making conversation it's listening as well.
I often sit there thinking, please please stop talking, and this is with people I like  ???
OH assures me he feels the same but he does keep on talking.......  ::)
Mind you, he often comments after such episodes "talks a lot doesn't he/she"

honeybun

« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2014, 06:54:38 PM »

I started to see things more clearly when my anxiety reared its head. Your friends are the ones who at least try to understand. They are the ones who stick around. The others are not worth bothering about.

I would say I have more good acquaintances than good friends. People I bump in to and have a chat with. People who I meet at our community garden and have a cuppa with. That's all I can cope with these days.
Hopefully the anxiety will go the way it arrived and then I can maybe re-join the social world.
For now I'm content with hubby......good job really as I can't cope with much else these days  :-\

Honeyb
x

Limpy

« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2014, 07:13:26 PM »

Funny you should say that about acquaintances HB.
I have better chats with women who I run into at the swimming pool or local shop (when OH isn't around) than I do with longer standing "friends / family"

CLKD

« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2014, 07:41:12 PM »

Yep same here.  Friends understand that we can stop whereas family …….. especially if 1 is staying with them. 

I wasn't looking forwards to the do on Sunday in case I had a panic so I took meds before we went; then found we didn't know anyone there  ::) …….. we made conversation with a few people but at least I didn't feel pressed into a corner …….. no pleasing me is there  ;D

Joyce

« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2014, 07:44:14 PM »

So used to peace & quiet these days. However, GD doesn't do peace & quiet. Everything at 100 miles an hour & just as noisy. Think we over did it with her today though. Took her swimming. She was racing her grandad up & down the pool, now she can't sleep. Tomorrow we're off to a transport museum! Not sure how well that will ho down. But they are having a special family day, so hopefully lots to keep her occupied.

Peace will be restored at the weekend.  :)

CLKD

« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2014, 07:47:32 PM »

Don't put her to bed, sit quietly with low lighting, reading or colouring in until she gets dozy.  Something to slow down the brain!  Or get her to chat about her busy day with Grandad  ;)

Joyce

« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2014, 09:28:14 PM »

Fast asleep now. We lay and had a wee chat about nothing in particular. Think she's home sick.  But told her the sooner she went to sleep the sooner it would only be 2 sleeps until we head down to meet mummy. Bless her. She has done so well. Such a shame there are no summer school clubs where she lives, none of this would have been necessary if there had.

CP

« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2014, 10:23:07 AM »

I have always been a worrier and get nervous before most social things even with family and close friends we've known forever but it has got worse lately.
I tend to wake up and think 'what am i doing today?' and then when i realise i am going somewhere or someone is visiting i feel like i wish it wasn't happening and could just have a day on my own at home. The thing is i also feel like my life has become so boring and routine and i don't go out and enjoy myself anymore so i really can't win!!!
Once I am doing whatever has been organised i am fine, it's the initial lead up to it.
I was sat in the car with my husband the other day and i made him laugh because i had been people watching as we drove about and i just blurted out 'God, people irritate me'. Complete strangers annoy me, why?? I saw a woman walking along in flip flops but her feet were hanging off the back, they were so obviously too small and i just wanted to scream out the window as we drove past 'WHY?'.
I hate being crabby and irritated but it just creeps up some days.

Rowan

« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2014, 10:39:02 AM »

There is a lot of truth in the quote " I am out of estrogen and I have a gun!"

CLKD

« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2014, 06:08:29 PM »

;D

I could begin another thread about ….. yep, probably will  ;)

honeybun

« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2014, 06:13:41 PM »

SL

That is the quote of the year.

:rofl:

Scary thing it could be very true.

Honeyb
x

Lynjane

« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2014, 12:28:27 PM »

I sooo, empathise with everything said on this thread! Mostly I just want to be on my own....and try to engineer my life to give me as many excuses as possible not to join in anything!!!  Also, we have a blended family  ::) and the 'other side' is so needy and possessive, it literally makes me want to scream!😫 Anyone else finding the 'Step-Syndrome' difficult?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4