Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Definition of anxiety  (Read 3270 times)

honeybun

Definition of anxiety
« on: August 02, 2014, 12:38:23 PM »

feeling of worry, nervousness, or unease about something with an uncertain outcome.
    "he felt a surge of anxiety"
    synonyms:   worry, concern, apprehension, apprehensiveness, consternation, uneasiness, unease, fearfulness, fear, disquiet, disquietude, perturbation, fretfulness, agitation, angst, nervousness, nerves, edginess, tension, tenseness, stress, misgiving, trepidation, foreboding, suspense; More
    informalbutterflies (in one's stomach), the willies, the heebie-jeebies, the jitters, the shakes, the jumps, the yips, collywobbles, jitteriness, jim-jams, twitchiness;
    informalthe (screaming) abdabs;
    rhyming slangJoe Blakes;
    archaicworriment
    "his anxiety grew as his messages were all left unanswered"
    antonyms:   calmness, serenity
        Psychiatry
        a nervous disorder marked by excessive uneasiness and apprehension, typically with compulsive behaviour or panic attacks.
        "she suffered from anxiety attacks"
    strong desire or concern to do something or for something to happen.
    "the housekeeper's eager anxiety to please"
    synonyms:   eagerness, keenness, desire, impatience, longing, yearning More
    "her anxiety to please"

Origin
early 16th century: from French anxiété or Latin anxietas, from anxius (see anxious).

I have often wondered just what anxiety is. How does it affect you and do you know exactly what causes it.
If the cause could be pin pointed then maybe a way to control it would follow. Or is it completely random with no cause.
What exactly do you think will happen during an anxiety attack.

My issues are outside the house. I hate busy places and standing in a queue. I start to feel light headed and a bit sick. I guess I'm afraid I am going to faint and make a right show of myself. Of course this has never happened. It's mostly stomach related. You know the feeling when you feel that your bowels are going to let you down.
How does your anxiety affect you exactly and what are your coping techniques.

Perhaps there are ideas out there to share.

Honeyb
x

Joyce

Re: Definition of anxiety
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 01:03:35 PM »

Liked the informalbutterflies definitions. Though never heard of jim-jams. Isn't that what we wear to bed.  ;D

I've had the willies, the heebie-jeebies & some of the others though.  May get some on holiday flight. However, have told hubby I will be insisting on aisle seat. At least that way I can walk about if unsettled.  I need to be able to walk off my restless legs, if they should bother me.

kiltgirl

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 01:28:21 PM »

I think 'unease' is a good description, feeling like something bad is going to happen...I can relate to the crowds and queues thing too...picking my 7 year old up from school is the worst...am sure some of the teachers think I'm a proper drinker, had to hold onto the railing last week of term as I really thought I was going to faint!
I catch myself not breathing properly too, holding your breath doesn't help at all!  :o

Easy to stay within safety of own 4 walls, am really guilty of staying away from people, but really it's seeing friends and not isolating myself that helps the most...blimmin anxiety!

xx

tink

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 09:46:43 PM »

my anxiety is similar, it starts with red hot pins and needles all over, then the feeling of sickness and that my bowels are failing. then the shaking starts

its worse if i feel i can't leave a room, ie seat belt signs coming  on, on planes. at home i am fine,

never had this before perimenopause

Kathleen

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 01:01:12 PM »

Hello honeybun.

I would define my anxiety as an uneasiness, plus I fret over every little thing and often have feelings of dread so boy am I fun to be around!  I also worry that I'll be stuck like this forever but I guess that is just another manifestation of the dreads. To try and help I do some deep breathing, acknowledge to everyone that I'm feeling yuk and if necessary I take myself off to my bedroom and read a book.

Best wishes to all who are battling this rotten thing called meno. Take care.

K.