Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Posterior Vitreous Detachment  (Read 4733 times)

margaret

Posterior Vitreous Detachment
« on: July 30, 2014, 01:00:07 PM »

Hi Ladies,

My husband had a cataract op 2 months ago, but in the last couple of days he's had  what he calls a cobweb like visual disturbance, has anyone ever experienced this and how long does it last.

:)

Dyan

Re: Posterior Vitreous Detachment
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 01:31:56 PM »

Hi Margaret,
I had a cataract op 2 years ago due to failing eye sight in one eye. After the first year I started to get a spidery cobwebby visual disturbance like you described.
I was worried that my retina had come detached so rang the hospital because that was what I was told to do if I ever had this.
I went in straight away and was examined and it wasn't the retina it was a piece of tissue that was still attached in the eye but it was floating around on a piece of thread if you like.
I was told that it would come away completely and disperse but I still might have floaters which I have but after a time you don't notice them.
I would ring the hospital just to make sure everything's ok.
They might want to check that the retina is still attached.

margaret

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 02:00:17 PM »

Hi Dyan,

He's just back from the hospital, the diagnosis was very similar to your own, thank you for your reply, it was very reassuring. xxx :-*

Limpy

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 03:28:17 PM »

Margaret - My husband had this earlier on this year.

Going to the hospital is exactly the thing to do.  If it happens again  (hopefully it won't)- he should be able to go to the hospital directly. My OH had peculiar vision for about 6 to 8 weeks following the initial episode.

Joyce

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 03:33:06 PM »

My hubby had this last year. Cleared up fine after a few months.

Trey

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 04:10:16 PM »

I had this about six months ago and was one of the ten percent who needed laser.  Up to six weeks after the retina can tear so the word I got was any new onset of floaters or flashes needs to be checked out promptly

Ju Ju

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2014, 04:05:39 PM »

Anyone with sudden onset of floaters should have them checked to rule out a detached retina. Both my mum and my daughter had this problem, but fortunately, they were both ok. My daughter was not taken seriously, probably because she so young, until she produced a picture she had drawn of what she saw the night before and another of what she saw in the morning. It showed a considerable increase of floaters and she was taken very seriously.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2014, 05:38:20 PM »

I had a large floater following anaesthetic following appendiscectomy in 1991.  Whilst reading following surgery I kept pushing a full stop across the page  ::) but it didn't go away.  It took several weeks before I realised the floater had gone.

Ju Ju

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2014, 05:56:49 PM »

My daughter and mum were both told that over time they would get used to new floaters and notice them which is the case. My mum thought that there were loads of flies in the room and tried to bat them away before she realised it was her eyes.

Limpy

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2014, 06:19:52 PM »

I think I had a large floater the other week.

I was convinced there was a spider, either on my eyelashes or hair.
This remained for a couple of hours despite lots of sweeps of hand across eye and shakes of head. It eventually dawned what was happening.  Happily the spider had gone by the next morning  ::)