Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: How long does HRT take to kick in roughly?  (Read 10411 times)

Marsha11

How long does HRT take to kick in roughly?
« on: July 02, 2014, 09:45:38 AM »

Sorry, its me again with my menopausal head on. Meant to say does anyone know roughly how long it takes for HRT to start working.  If it is a full month, I think I will go mad!

Thank you

Marshall :-*

Joyce

Re: How long does HRT take to kick in roughly?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 10:14:16 AM »

We're all different I'm afraid. Can be a month or more for some ladies. Try & persevere.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 02:23:02 PM »

Hi Marsha
What HRt have you been given? - sorry I can't remember. Where are you in the menopause? If you are post meno it can take some time fro the oestrogen to build up.
What symptoms are you hoping the HRT will help?  DG x

Bracken willowshimmer

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 02:30:19 PM »

Hi Marshall,

I have been on my hrt for a month too.  Felt really good up until about a week ago then all my symptoms came back.  Hopefully, it's too early for the hrt to have kicked in.

Let's hope we start feeling better soon.

Sarah x

Milamam

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 02:52:29 PM »

Hi Marshall,
I have been on HRT for two months now. My night sweats disappeared within the first week or so. Other symptoms re fatigue, nervousness etc improved within the first month. I still get nausea , yukky days and headache right before the bleed though and will discuss it with  my doctor tomorrow. Sleepnessness disappeared too within the first week or so . So physical symptoms seem to disappear first, then the emotional (I am still working on those....)
All the best and good luck,

Mila

Marsha11

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 04:30:34 PM »

Thank you everyone.  It seems you can get a bit of relief in the first week. I am 48 and haven't had a period since October.  I haven't had a hysterectomy, but now think the doctor has prescribed the wrong HRT.  I have been put on 16 Evorel 50 patches 50mcg which some members are saying is O based only.  Even the Pharmacist says it is, but until i can get the doctor to ring me back; I will have to fret.

Only on first patch and need to change it tomorrow, so wondering if it would make any difference at this stage?  Anyone out there know?

Marshall  :-\

Dancinggirl

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 05:24:46 PM »

Oh Marsha.
Yes, your GP has given you the wrong type of HRT.  Have a look under HRT Preparations(to the left of this screen) so you know what to ask for.  We sometimes despair of GPs on this site.
I've had a moan about GPs on several threads today. Why don't hey join this site and get clued up - there is a Health Professional section as well!!!!!
DG x

Marsha11

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2014, 06:19:51 PM »

Hi DG

My doctor apologised and said they would pay for the new HRT as they had made the mistake.  I really wanted a doctor that was clued up on the menopause and HRT.  I really think there should be dedicated clinics for this.

Thank goodness I found this forum; it is much needed.  :)

Marshall

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2014, 01:20:31 PM »

Hi Marsha11

It's fine to carry on with the patches for 2 weeks - when you are given the Evorel sequi (you need to be on a sequential HRT to give a bleed as your last period was less than 12 months ago) - it will consist of 2 weeks Evorel 50 ( as you already have) followed by 2 weeks of Evorel conti ( which contains the progestogen you need).

I would keep the patches anyway so that if any fall off ( of the Evorel 50) when you are given the new prescription, then you can replace them with these. You can't replace the Evorel conti with these though - if you understand - as they don't contain the progestogen.

Hurdity x

Marsha11

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2014, 10:08:48 AM »

thanks Hurdity

After several chats with the Pharmacy, have just found out that Evorel 50 patches can be used for the first two weeks and then you need to change to the Progesterone patches.

Clear as mud at the beginning and even my doctor didn't seem to understand. Its like the blind leading the blind.

Marshall  :-\

Hurdity

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2014, 07:45:34 PM »

Glad it's all clear now - but ridiculous that your doctor didn't understand when your pharmacist has said exactly what I said below!!

The second lot of patches contain the same amount of oestrogen as the Evorel 50 ( ie release 50 mcg oestrogen per day) together with the progestogen - norethisterone. With HRT most of the formulations give a constant amount of oestrogen.

Hurdity x