Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Hello from a Brit in Australia  (Read 2380 times)

Kristy

Hello from a Brit in Australia
« on: June 28, 2014, 06:39:40 AM »

Hello, I discovered this forum a few months ago and have been reading with much interest. I am 49, have been in perimenopause for about 18 months. I am British but have lived in Australia for several years.
I have experienced the hot flushes on and off, night sweats, anxiety and tearfulness and also weak painful muscles and joints in my lower back, neck and shoulders. Fortunately, I don't have all of these symptoms all at the same time, they come and go.
I tend to get the most troublesome hot flushes at the height of an Australian summer which in my part of the country can mean temperatures over 38C for days at a time (sometimes as high as 43C) so  it's really important to find cool air conditioned places and always have a fan with you :). I can relate to a lot of what people are experiencing and it is nice to find a forum where everyone understands and empathizes.

Joyce

Re: Hello from a Brit in Australia
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 07:51:23 AM »

:welcomemm:

We come from far & wide on here, America to Australia & in between.  I'm an inbetweenie.  ;D Not sure I could cope with the heat over there, even without flushing etc.  My niece lives over there & experienced heat of 48° in January.  :sweatdrop: :sweatdrop: :sweatdrop:

Kristy

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 08:25:47 AM »

Hi Cubagirl,
For a few weeks in January and February, the heat can be a real challenge for those of us going through the meno. The rest of the year is easier. When the temperatures go down, so do the flushes, although the night sweats occur whatever the weather.
Fortunately, so far, I have never had to experience 48C. That would be horrendous!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 02:04:47 PM »

We have a Brit living in Oz - SuziQ pops in occasionally!

Welcome - what drew you to Down Under? 

Read the menus, left of screen, join in, we don't bite  ;)

Kristy

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 04:36:34 AM »

I moved to Australia with my husband, he had family living there, and it was a bit of an adventure. This was in the pre internet days. I knew it was hot in the summer but didn't realise it was that hot ha ha......
You don't think about how the heat will affect you as you get older and start going through peri meno. Still, on the whole, I like it in Australia. It has been a great experience  :)

Dyan

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2014, 10:52:30 AM »

:welcomemm: Kristy :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2014, 11:49:24 AM »

....... apart from the beasties  :o  ;)

Kristy

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2014, 01:59:43 AM »

Thanks for the welcome Dyan.
Ah yes...the beasties. Fortunately, I don't get bothered by them too much.