Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Adrenalin Question  (Read 5032 times)

Kathleen

Adrenalin Question
« on: June 26, 2014, 07:46:09 AM »

Hello ladies, can I ask for your experiences of adrenalin surges and how you cope?

I am on HRT and that has taken care of the palpitations but now I'm being woken early every morning with what feels like adrenalin surges, I also feel panicky, sweaty and usually need to get up and go to the loo (sorry if tmi). I've also noticed I can hear my heart pounding in my ears. I'm sure I've read comments from other ladies with similar symptoms and I'd be interested to know more. I take 10mg beta blockers occasionally but maybe I need to take more at night or through the day, I don't really know the safe level.

Sorry to ask so many questions but I know I'll get some good advice here.

Take care ladies and wishing you all well.

K.

Shazzie

Re: Adrenalin Question
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 09:24:37 AM »

Hi Kathleen

I too get exactly the same sensations as you.

I started HRT patches a couple of months ago (Evorel Conti 50mcgm)

The palps and hot sweats decreased over the 2 months and I am much better than I was before starting HRT.

What HRT are you on and how long have you been on it?

Take care.

Shazzie xx

Mrs January

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 09:38:43 AM »

Hey

I have had it too, can still be like it in the mornings sometimes. I take beta blockers 30mgs daily and it does help......

Take care

Mrs J xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 04:48:44 PM »

I take 40mgs Propranalol (nope it aint' a race  ;) ) at night - helps stop that surge of adrenalin which feels like hot water coursing through my veins, horrible  :-\

Kathleen

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2014, 05:45:27 PM »

Hello ladies and thank you for your replies.

Mrs January and CLKD - After reading your comments I've decided to take a 10mg beta blocker tablet three times a day. I was concerned that this may be a high dose but I see that you take 30/40mgs daily so I feel more confident about giving it a go!

Shazzie - I began using Evorel patches six months ago, I started with 25mcg and in mid April I increased this to 50mcg. I also use Utrogestan vaginally. I have noticed a reduction in palpitations and sweats but the adrenalin surges were really beginning to bother me. All of these improvements may be taking more time as I am 57 and over three years post meno.

Once more thank you all for taking the time to reply, it means a lot.

Wishing you all well.

K.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2014, 07:41:10 PM »

Let us know how you get on!  You may like to take the added dose, 1 at night and 1 in the morning, after 3/4 days add the one in the middle of the day if required. It's all a bit Trial and Error  ::)

Mrs January

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2014, 08:57:42 PM »

Hey Kathleen

I take beta blockers for my hand tremor but help with surges too. Doc said they wanted men to take 80mgs....gosh glad I don't take that much

Mrs January xx

Shazzie

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2014, 09:28:34 AM »

Hi K

Yes.  I cut my Evorel in half at the moment but if the palps and flushes come back then I will up it to a full patch.  Is that what happened to you?  Why did you increase from 25 to 50.  Was it because the palps came back a bit?

I still wake with the pounding heart from time to time but nowhere near as bad as they were before the Evorel.

I am 53 and been post menopausal for 18 months.

xx

Kathleen

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2014, 05:09:51 PM »

Hello Shazzie.

I started off with 25mcg patch as that is what I was initially prescribed. In all honestly I can't remember why I increased to 50mcg but I don't think it was due to palpitations.

I took one 10mg beta blocker this morning, I'll take another at bedtime and if necessary I'll add in a lunch  time one as well. My hope is that the tablets will reduce the amount of adrenalin in my system and that will help me calm down. I also take an AD and an anti- inflammatory. It's amazing to think that before my last period in 2010 I was entirely drug free (those were the days).

Wishing you well and take care.

K.

Shazzie

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2014, 06:41:08 PM »

I really hope the BBs help you K. 

Like you say before my perods stopped I was plodding along happily.  Since I stopped all hell has set in.

Fingers crossed it will get better for us soon.

Hope you get a good nights sleep.

Take care.

Shazzie xx

jgr

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2014, 04:27:28 PM »

I have this from time to time, in fact woke up in the early hours this morning feeling like i was about to die.
I have been on beta blockers for years, only 5mg now and i am on evoril contil 50, so don't know if it would have been worse without these two medications.

I try not to get too worried about it knowing it is very common during menopause, but none the less not nice when it happens. x