Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12

Author Topic: Advice for husbands  (Read 377929 times)

Gail

Re: Advice for husbands
« Reply #105 on: September 01, 2014, 03:48:16 PM »

Thanks for the laughs reading this I will be emailing this to my husband so he knows that I'm not going mad and when I burst into tears for no apparent reason its not always his fault!

Xx

diva

« Reply #106 on: May 06, 2015, 03:12:26 PM »

Just read this to my husband  - gushing about finding this new forum.

He is very good though.....
brings home newspaper articles about menopause to show me, encouraged me to go see a doctor and is generally very understanding.

I am a very grateful and lucky girl.  :) :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #107 on: June 03, 2015, 07:51:28 PM »

:bounce:  for new members  ;)

bramble

« Reply #108 on: August 16, 2015, 04:34:48 PM »

For new members.  :welcomemm: :hug: :hug:

Bramble

LouE

« Reply #109 on: November 07, 2015, 10:50:36 AM »

I had a good chat with my hubby last night about all this, then showed him this today, pretty much everything id said to him, but it reassured him on a lot of aspects, especially the sex part, he now knows i dont unfancy him  :D

Thanks for writing this!

Carms

« Reply #110 on: March 06, 2016, 03:48:18 PM »

I'm on HRT over five years now and think it must be too light a dose because there's a quiet a few questions answered.  Up to now I thought there was one size fits all HRT Pill - Laughed out loud at some posts ;D ;D

I'd say everyone's laughing at my innocence now :o

Carms

KayJay

« Reply #111 on: March 14, 2016, 04:19:18 PM »

I had pretty much shut my husband out and buried my head in the sand until I read this by poppyrose. I copied it and emailed it to my husband and after he read it he came home from work and just held me tight and said I hear you, I will try harder to understand.

We are now trying to face it together  :) :)

CLKD

« Reply #112 on: May 02, 2016, 05:37:03 PM »

:bounce: for new member

AnnaCupcake

« Reply #113 on: May 03, 2016, 07:19:14 PM »

TBH my hubby has been really good 95% of the time.  We went through fertility treatment and IVF (unsuccessful) so he's pretty aware of my body.  My menopause has thrown him a bit.  Firstly because I went from "normal" to post meno in a matter of weeks, secondly his mother had left home before reaching this stage, thirdly although his sis is older than me (5 years) I'm well ahead in this experience!

We've just been discussing the list and we think he might be having a sympathetic meno as he can tick off a few of them!

Tempest

« Reply #114 on: May 16, 2016, 05:31:33 PM »

My advice for Husbeasts. For the love of God, learn how to make a decent cup of tea and offer to make us one occasionally!!

My Husbeast IS pretty good BTW, but he still makes a rotten cuppa...... ;D

CLKD

« Reply #115 on: May 31, 2016, 02:21:20 PM »

:bounce: for new members

CLKD

« Reply #116 on: August 05, 2016, 06:08:05 PM »

:bounce: for new Members

Ouch man

« Reply #117 on: November 02, 2016, 03:29:32 PM »

UPDATE BY ADMIN
This is a female only forum. Poster's account deleted.
--

I have read this entire post, and a couple of books.  I thought it might be useful to add a man's point of view.

Very happily married. Love my wife dearly. Together over 30 years.  About a year ago, my wife began suffering the kinds of symptoms in this forum. Neither of us were prepared. The expectation had perhaps been for a few hot flushes, something we could have easily coped with.

Without us realising what was happening, day to day love and affection began to decline. I have always been more overtly loving and tactile. My wife stopped wanting to kiss, to hug, to hold hands.

Her body changed in ways that I now realise are normal - sensitive breasts, atrophic vaginitis etc. Sex was no longer enjoyable for her (foreplay, touching, stroking, cunnilingus, penetration etc).  Over time sex got more and more rare.  Then she said she really did not enjoy it at all and was quite happy to just focus on me.  Happy days I (selfishly) thought, but after a while this made me feel our relationship was unbalanced - I felt guilty only taking not giving.  It also became mechanical and always against the clock.  Not very romantic for either of us.

Not knowing any better, I foolishly (I hope) began to suspect she might have a lover.  I did not really believe this, but it seemed to provide an explanation.  Once the seed of doubt is sown, it is easy to see further 'evidence'.  This never really developed into anything - and I only mention it because the thought was there. It may seem daft but I like most men I was clueless about potential affects of the menopause.

She did not explain how she felt or describe what was happening to her, I did not explain how I was feeling. We were at the lowest point in our relationship, but I am not even sure we realised it.  Having been together 30 years you kind of take it for granted that things will work out given a little time.

Finally we began to communicate.  But having put thing off for so long it was very traumatic.  She revealed a loss of self esteem, a feeling of worthlessness, a loss of happiness, feeling empty, having no feelings what-so-ever for me, not much better for the children.  Feeling 'so confused' and speculating that we needed a trial separation. Wow.  I felt self pity, and sorrow that I had not looked after her better.

We are only just beginning to try to manage our way through this. 

She may be depressed, we are not sure. Maybe needs HRT. We already eat well, take exercise etc.  It sounds like we will be on a roller coaster for a while.

--

No sure if it is what she wants, but have tried to boost her feelings with romantic gestures. 

I have also read books on saving marriages and the menopause. She is reading the same books.  I no longer take her for granted and am working hard to make her feel loved, and hope that her love will be re-kindled at some point in the future ( :'( :'().

In some ways there is a silver lining.  I am almost sure that we will emerge stronger from this awful (hopefully short) period, but I am also terrified that we might lose the battle. 

I am feeling very sad. I cannot function effectively. I am in shock. I am scared, I think about this all the time.  This has nothing to do with sex or moods or anything like that - it is because my wife no longer feels love for me and I might never win it back.  Fortunately the book on marriage provided some exercises that we went through, and this provided reassurance and evidence to suggest otherwise.

Best of luck to you all. Give your husbands a hug whenever you can. Love conquers all x.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 11:36:32 AM by Emma »

Kathleen

« Reply #118 on: November 02, 2016, 09:48:51 PM »

Hello Ouch man.

Thank you so much for your post. It is refreshing to hear a man's perspective and you have my sympathy because this menopause business is a hard row to hoe for all concerned.

I am ashamed to say that I have told my husband a few times that I don't love him anymore and he has taken it well because I have always been very honest about my menopause problems and made sure he knew it was the changing hormones that were talking, also we actually get on very well! Only this evening, whilst in the middle of an anxiety episode I told him that I wish he could take all my jitteryness away and eradicate all the nervousness I'm feeling. I understand that is too much to ask of a person in reality but it doesn't stop me wishing it were possible!
The only other male comments  I've heard  regarding the menopause came from two guys who were working on our house.One said that his wife was often very hot and 'huffed and puffed' all the time. He was finding life difficult because she was saying some nasty things to him and their son and he wanted to know if ladies meant all they said at such times. The other guy was older and was having treatment for prostate cancer. He had been given hormone therapy at one point but hated it because it gave him hot flushes. When I said 'you know how I feel then' he rolled his eyes and said ' tell me about it'.
It is sad but true that most men can't understand what the menopause is doing to us, I didn't appreciate it myself until it happened to me, but the fact that you are trying is an excellent thing and I wish you and your wife well.
K.

Lifeofa50yearold

« Reply #119 on: March 15, 2017, 08:51:35 AM »

Tell me im beautifull every single day even though i know im not.
Dont ever stare at me or i will shove 2 fingers up ur nose and drag you off the sofa by your nose hair.
If im bieng pathetic ..humour me
Never offer well meant advice about ways of getting to sleep. IVE TRIED EVRRYTHING ..
Never EVER wake me up if im asleep unless theres a fire and only then if it threatens to come into my room  :D
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12