Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: patches or gel  (Read 31078 times)

moonbeam121167

Re: patches or gel
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2014, 07:57:21 PM »

thanks Cassie xx

honeybun

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2014, 11:05:34 PM »

I have to say I would go for patches. Stick them on and forget it for a few days then repeat.

Have you stopped your HRT pills to see if that's what's causing your headaches and stomach problems.

Honeyb
x

moonbeam121167

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2014, 10:33:14 AM »

Hi Honeybun  I have stopped using double the dose of Vagifem and my headaches havent been so bad, after talking to Dr Currie I am going to try the patch or gel as she believes the pills will  effect the stomach but I am so so undecided now on what one to try, I was leaning towards the gel untill now when you said to try the patch again, why the patch and why do you think the Estradot will be any better than the Estraderm, sorry to be a pain but I am so confused xx

honeybun

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2014, 10:58:13 AM »

I use Evorel. It comes in a variety of strengths and sticks very well.

It really is a personal choice, it's just I could not be bothered with a gel. The patch delivers a constant amount over a given time and can also be adjusted by cutting a little bit off. This is not a small patch so adjustment is easy.

I just stick mine on my bum and forget it.

Honeyb
x

Limpy

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2014, 11:04:32 AM »

Hi Moonbeam - I think patches or gel are better tolerated by the liver, also they aren't affected by stomach upsets or vomiting.

I use patches because I swim quite a bit and suspect they cope better with that than gel would.

moonbeam121167

« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2014, 11:18:56 AM »

Hi I tried with the Estraderm 50 and after around the 2 1/2th day my symptoms were coming back, I did cut a patch in half and put 1 and 1/2 on but I felt awful so I took it off, I remember when I tried giving up smoking I tried the Patches and I was bad on them so I gave up cold turkey, ask my GP and she said the pills have no effect on the stomach  so I went back on the pills, I was stupid enough to believe her as she is a doctor and I wasnt and just went back on the pills, I am so worried about the patch as I dont want those symptoms again thats why I am leaning towards the gel , so confused towhat to do !!!

Taz2

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2014, 11:20:40 AM »

Pills can effect the stomach as they go through the intestines whereas patches and gel don't.

Taz x

moonbeam121167

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2014, 11:25:17 AM »

I know but I tried the Estraderm patch and didnt like it, as I only used it for a month  but maybe if my GP was helpful and took me off it but in hindsight I dont think I gave it a chance but scared to try it again and thats why I leaning towards the gel, have you any views on either one please  :)

honeybun

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2014, 11:25:41 AM »

Using a patch or gel helps to avoid stomach upsets as they don't go through the liver.
In saying that if you use too much oestrogen then you will feel nauseous no matter what the delivery method.
You are best to start off on a lowish dose and let your body become accustomed to it.

The gel is no better or worse than a patch. The patches are more convenient but the gel can be tweaked more easily. They  both get into the body in the same way.....ie through the skin.
It really is up to you and what you feel comfortable with.

Honeyb
x

Taz2

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2014, 11:26:43 AM »

If you've paid for a consultation from Dr Currie then I would think it best to go with what she suggests?

Taz

honeybun

« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2014, 11:30:52 AM »

I think Dr Currie said either patch or gel would suit Taz and there lies the dilemma.

Honeyb
x

moonbeam121167

« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2014, 11:34:19 AM »

Dr Currie said  try Estradot 50 but also said it is down to me and what one I want to try and that is why I so confused and she is the expert, I want to take her advice but I am scared it will not work like the Estraderm 50 didnt so why will the Estradot work better !!! really dont know all I want is to feel sort of normalish again thats all

Limpy

« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2014, 02:24:45 PM »

Like Taz says Dr Currie is the expert. 
Why not try what she suggests?
Estradot may work, if it doesn't then try something else.
You won't know till you try.

ellie66

« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2014, 02:40:23 PM »

I have tried patches not for menopausal issues but Consultant suggested them when I was bleeding with the Mirena which I had for contraception. However I love the gel I did not particular like patches they did not suit me.

Its so easy to adjust and only take a few minutes to dry. Huge gel fan here lol  ;D

moonbeam121167

« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2014, 04:23:33 PM »

Hi Ellie66     how long did it take to work,  does it wear off easily or once dry its fine, I like the sound of it, you can tweak it if you need more or less, Dr Currie did say also if I want to try the gel its a good option anyway but I am in such a dilemma as she is an expert in the field x
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6