Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Strange phone calls  (Read 11967 times)

Taz2

Re: Strange phone calls
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2013, 08:58:08 AM »

TPS is good as long as the calls are not generated outside the UK. Anytime I've mentioned being TPS registered they have been very apologetic and taken us off their lists. One company told me that when they buy the lists in the TPS registered ones have a code next to them so they know which not to use. I need to redo ours!

Taz x

ellie

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2013, 09:06:34 AM »

When we get a phone call that shows as.....Witheld number.....I say this...
  'This is a recorded message, ...If you are calling about your vasectomany please press 1.....If you are calling about your hysteroctomy please press 2.....for all other enquiries please hold '.  Then I just leave them on hold for a minute.....
It doesn't really stop the nuisence calls, but it gives me a laugh  :)

Taz2

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2013, 09:13:49 AM »

I don't answer the landline anymore - if it's someone I know they will leave a message and we get free calls anyway so I can phone them back. I do feel sorry for the people who have to do such work though - it is so difficult to meet targets.

Taz x

honeybun

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2013, 09:17:49 AM »

If it's a Scottish accent I will spend two minutes talking to them as they are only trying to make a living. If it's an Indian voice and there is the slight time delay on the line that tells you they are calling from abroad I'm afraid I hang up.
I know that sounds bad but we need work kept in this country.

Honeyb
X

scriv

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2013, 09:49:31 AM »

If my caller display shows 'Unavailable' I either don't answer it or put it near the radio.... I reckon if they are unavailable to me, then I am to them.

If it shows 'Withheld',I usually answer as it can be a switchboard/doctors surgery/hospital etc, but I have the radio ready for any scammers to talk to.

I have no time for these people at all.

Many thanks Taz2 for posting the link to that video. It was amazing!!!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2013, 11:28:41 AM »

Mum refuses to leave messages on answer machines  >:( then complains that the people she is trying to contact never ring her back  :cuss:

Greyhoundgal

« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2013, 12:51:45 PM »

My Mum had a cold caller a few months back and when she told him to stop bothering her he then had his supervisor ring my Mum to complain that she had been rude to him!!!  Good job I wasn't there at the time or they'd have soon know what rude was :o

CLKD

« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2013, 02:05:22 PM »

Did your Mum tell the Supervisor too ?

Rowan

« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2013, 03:35:13 PM »

Have manages to get tough with them now I just say "sorry I'm not interested" and put the phone down.

Even when TalkTalk our provider phones, I just say "if I want to change my Package I will get in touch with you" and put the phone down. It use to make me quiver but not anymore.

Thank you Taz for the video have just shared it on my facebook.

scriv

« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2013, 05:03:30 PM »

I have no qualms about slamming the phone down on them. It is much easier than shutting the door in the face of an unwanted caller. I find cold calling on the doorstep much more intrusive for that reason, although I just say I am not interested and that is usually enough.

CLKD

« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2013, 06:07:31 PM »

We have neighbourhood watch signs that tell callers not to ring the bell so I point this out with the words "I take it you can't read then?" .....
Pages: 1 [2]