Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Strange phone calls  (Read 12295 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Strange phone calls
« on: November 07, 2013, 12:10:19 PM »

>:(

apparently I have had an accident .......... according to the Indian who phoned yesterday telling me so.   "Where did you get your information from?" apparently they have a Dept that checks UK records for accident reports.  "Well your Dept is totally incorrect".  Then he asked me 'why are you speaking so slowly Mrs ? '  ::) ...... I was thinking off the top of my head that's why  :D

When I asked that his Company remove my details from their mailing list (couldn't think of 'data base') he asked me 'why do you wish me to do this Mrs ? ' ...... "because your information is totally wrong and this call is inappropriate".  'If you blow me a kiss I will remove your details'  :o twice he said this as I couldn't believe my ears  :-\ ........... I put down the 'phone ..... now was this a dirty phone call brewing or an off-the-cuff request ......

This morning I answered the 'phone expecting it to be the Indian ........ particularly because the man who had 'phoned our number simply said 'hello' but no name, nothing else.  It was my B in L who likes to arse around  >:( (he's a control freak) .......... I almost put down the 'phone  :cuss:

Dyan

Re: Strange phone calls
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 12:28:35 PM »

:cuss:
Don't you love those phone calls-NOT!!!
Not that I've had one when someone's ask me to blow a kiss. :argue:

Did the number come up?

When I get those calls and they say can I speak to mrs...? I say hold on I'll
Just  get her for you and put the phone up against the radio and leave it until they ring off.
You can sometimes hear them going,hello,hello!

I have pretended to be mrs ..... PA and wound them up.
They soon hang up.

scriv

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 12:59:52 PM »

Hi! I have put the phone next to the radio as well.. I just like to block their line and waste their time like they waste ours.

We had the one the other day where they act as if they are from Microsoft and tell you you have a problem with your PC. You know the one - they tell you to switch on your computer and follow their instructions? They like to target older people. If you fall for this and do it, you end up creating a real problem -for which they then sell you the solution!

Well, my husband took it. He works in IT, so was looking forward to wasting her time. She told him there was a problem with his computer, so he said Oh Dear etc etc, what am I to do? She told him to switch on the computer.. he asked her which of his computers had the problem and that he had six. Should he switch all of them on? Then he told her he had a good idea - if she gave him the license number of the computer she meant, then he would know which computer it was. She said she would  know because there was a light on her board which showed our computer was faulty... he replied, oh but I haven't switched any of them on yet. (Yawn, yawn by now...)

Well, I just sat on the stairs and laughed and laughed. He kept her at it for a good 10 minutes before he 'decided' to take the computer to his usual repair man and put the phone down on her. She was still bleating on about it would have to be at his own risk because only they can help!!!

But you know, the worrying thing was that these people do sound so credible and it is easy to see how the older and less savvy can fall for the scam.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 09:04:43 PM by scriv »

valiantkate

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 02:49:52 PM »

Just hate the scammers who rip of vulnerable people, how do they live with their concience?? Anyway, one sure way I have found is to say very pecisely, 'where exactly did you get this number from, it is highly classified  and a secure line, and I shall be contacting the police/ MI5 etc/ government '  It works a treat! ;D

Limpy

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 03:52:06 PM »

Like your style Valiant

Another way of dealing with the "your computer has a fault" mob, is to let them go on and on, then say "It's awfully kind of you to be so concerned about my PC but I'd hate to take up your valuable time"  OH favours "what's a computer?"

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 05:07:27 PM »

I told the very nice man last year that I don't have a computer  ;D

Dyan

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 05:29:40 PM »

I'll try that one next time valiant ;D

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2013, 06:34:19 PM »

We have the accident one at least once a week. I tell them that I am just dog-sitting while the house owners are at work...

Taz x

honeybun

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2013, 06:48:44 PM »

When they ask if I am the home owner I tell them I rent.

Honeyb
X

Taz2

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2013, 06:51:05 PM »

I tried that once but they knew that the Mr or Mrs they asked for held a mortgage on the property. Not much privacy these days!!

Taz

bev567901

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2013, 07:29:13 PM »

My husband did a terrible thing last night. 15 yrs ago I had hypnotheraphy for stress & it worked but I was too scared to go back after we reached a crucial session, it works!  Anyway the place I went is now a dentist so all I knew about this man was he was part of the church of the latter day saints & he did missionary work in Africa & did work out of another place nearby doing hypno. All my googling  has come to nothing I can't remember his name. So I rang the church just on the off chance they would know who he was. They said they would phone back. Last night I was putting the kids to bed & I heard my husband at the door saying can't you read the sign (saying no cold callers etc)  Then a few minutes later why are you still on MY doorstep?  if you don't go I will set the dogs on you! (licking to death.) Turns out in the pouring rain 2 wee girls from the church had come round to give me a phone number of someone else. He knew I had phoned them so then it clicked & he had to apologise like a fool when they asked for me by name. I expected the minister round to remove me from such a monster!! Shouldn't have given my address out I guess. He needs to do some good karma now to readdress the balance its bothered me all day & last night  :-\

Larney

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2013, 08:05:17 AM »

Hi! I have put the phone next to the radio as well.. I just like to block their line and waste their time like they waste ours.

We had the one the other day where they act as if they are from Microsoft and tell you you have a problem with your PC. You know the one - they tell you to switch on your computer and follow their instructions? They like to target older people. If you fall for this and do it, you end up creating a real problem -for which they then sell you the solution.

But you know, the worrying thing was that these people do sound so credible and it is easy to see how the older and less savvy can fall for the scam.

My poor 85yr old dad got scammed by Microsoft. It's left him and mum feeling vulnerable after believing that they are still in control and have their wits about them. Grr.  >:(
I do the radio thing when I can be bothered, but having caller ID does help me filter calls. Telephone preference service seems to not work any more.

miramar

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2013, 08:24:47 AM »

oh we love the trick with the Radio too
the same with junk mail we open it and send junk back in the pre paid envelope ;D

Taz2

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2013, 08:47:26 AM »

We had this a few years ago and my son was here so took the call and did exactly what they said until the last part when he let them have it with both barrels. It lead to him being put through to a "manager" who was not happy at being caught out and made some hilarious statements.

Here is a report about the scam together with a video of the call they made to one guy. http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2013-04/11/malwarebytes

Taz x

honeybun

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2013, 08:49:04 AM »

I registered with the TPS a few years ago and told callers that I had. Then I got meno muddled and kept telling them I was registered with TCP.

Not much difference but they had not a clue what I was talking about  ;D

Honeyb
X
Pages: [1] 2