Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Thank goodness for the colder weather!  (Read 16527 times)

dulciana

Thank goodness for the colder weather!
« on: October 12, 2013, 04:57:07 PM »

I love the autumn and winter.  They are my favourite times of the year, anyway - I am not a heat-lover -  but I didn't half suffer during the hot summer we've just had.   :sweatdrop: I am so glad we're into cooler (ok - colder!) weather for a few months now, because it seems to have its own calming effect on hot flushes.  I am now more comfortable, I don't boil up so quickly, I can function better and I can enjoy a hotter bath again, because it's cold outside!!    There are still times when I have to open the car window quickly, when five minutes before I was enjoying being nicely wrapped up against the chill.  But I have to be honest and say that I dread each summer at the moment and welcome autumn and winter like old friends.  Even the sun through the windows is less intense and fierce and I can bear to be in direct sunlight.  I know - I sound wierd!  But there's something about autumn and winter, particularly just now, that make me come alive.   :gym:     Hot summer sun makes me feel as if I'm being cooked, while I'm stuck in this meno!

Taz2

Re: Thank goodness for the colder weather!
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2013, 05:16:39 PM »

I've always been an autumn/winter person but I don't find that meno symptoms are any different if it's hot or cold. The flushes are still as intense but at least there is the cold outside to dive into!

I love the short days and getting up in the dark before the day has begun. It's great to be able to watch the dawn break and then, later on, watch the dark settle across the garden/landscape/works carpark. In the summer I have to be up at 4 to see both!

Taz

dulciana

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2013, 05:30:01 PM »

I completely identify with this, Taz2!  And I know what you mean about the changing light - it is nice, isn't it?  I find it easier to relax when the evenings are dark and easier to get a decent length of sleep when the sun isn't pouring in at 4 in the morning.  Not that I've got anything against birds tweeting, but when you also get stingy thingies flying in because it's too hot to have the bedroom windows closed, I draw the line.  I honestly seemed to spend this whole summer bathed in sweat - and now I'm looking forward to not doing so!

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2013, 06:10:29 PM »

For me the "stingy thingies" are the only good things about summer but I know I'm different!

As for being bathed in sweat.. that's me right now!

Taz x

honeybun

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2013, 06:37:28 PM »

Still prefer the long lazy summer days. Having the doors and windows open and sitting in the sun or the shade.
I don't mind the winter if the skies are bright. Living in Scotland our days are even shorter and skies can be very grey. And the constant rain is a pain in the neck. Last March we had ten foot snow drifts. Not fun.

Honeyb
X.

Roll on the spring  ;D

Limpy

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2013, 07:14:14 PM »

The colder weather is tedious.
Washing takes days to get dry, if ever.
Can't dry it inside, just get condensation and mould.

Taz2

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2013, 11:06:55 PM »

Doors and windows open? Sitting in the sun? Bah humbug!!!!

Taz  ;D

honeybun

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2013, 07:32:28 AM »

:na:

;D

Honeyb
X

Joyce

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2013, 10:31:41 AM »

Crisp frosty days with bright sunshine I can cope with. It's the grey dank ones I loathe! And as HB says we get a lot of them in Scotland. Although my mum used to live in Morayshire & she said she only remembered long, cold frosty winters with sunshine. Mind you that neck of the woods can be more sheltered. 

dulciana

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2013, 01:59:47 PM »

Cubagirl - I'm in Scotland as well and I know what you mean about the dull, dank, cold days we get here, but I've always loved the chance to snuggle down and get cosy, from about autumn onwards and especially at Christmas time!  As long as there's enough decent light wherever I am, I come alive again at this time of year.  Always have done.  In the summer, the heat stops me concentrating on things and being efficient and I just slop around, going from one hot flush to another :sigh:!

Taz2

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2013, 06:39:21 PM »

My sentiments exactly - although I don't find it makes any difference to my hot flushes/sweats. In fact in the summer I feel a bit better as everyone else has got that short of sweaty sheen to their faces and I fit right in  ;D

Taz x

dulciana

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2013, 07:34:00 PM »

Good point, Taz2!
Dulciana

Meg

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2013, 02:09:27 AM »

Totally identify with the sentiments that the hot summer weather makes the flushes and sweating much more difficult to cope with which is very difficult to bear.  I have noticed myself that since the clocks went back the long winter evenings seem to drag on.  It seems to be going dark now about 4.30 and we are also having a lot of rain which can be depressing.  I also seem to be more sensitive to the cold this year, hope I am not starting with cold flashes mixed with hot ones though I do often feel chilled after a sweat!  Have also got a wrotten cold which is also par for the season!

Hugs to all

Meg

Rowan

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2013, 03:17:56 PM »

I must be very odd because I like the grey days of Winter leading up to Christmas, I love drawing the curtains and getting cosy, that's not saying I don't like summer , I don't mind how hot it gets during the day as long as it is cool at night time.

I loved winters in Germany.

Just think if we lived in Sweden.

Taz2

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2013, 06:59:20 PM »

I don't think you are odd SL! There are spring people summer people autumn people winter people and every season people. I love the short days. The long summer days make me feel depressed and down much as others get down with the short dark days. Having researched it a bit after hearing a radio programme about Reverse SAD disorder I was a bit alarmed to find that it is often linked into depression. The medical profession seem to feel it is impossible to feel sad in summer without being depressed. I don't get this really. I am not depressed - I just happen to love getting up while its still dark, the short days and the wonderful landscape of winter. Plus it seems easier to warm up in the winter than it is to cool down on hot summer days.

This article is quite interesting http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-13546925

Taz x
Pages: [1] 2