Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Dog fighting.  (Read 8046 times)

honeybun

Dog fighting.
« on: September 06, 2013, 07:29:41 PM »

I heard some disturbing news today. Seemingly in our county there are gangs who are organising dog fights. They are trawling around looking for bait dogs which they use to train the dogs who fight.
They target an area and then mark your house....gate..fence or path with a red mark. Then your dog is stolen.

I can't imagine that this is just happening in my area. I don't know what kind of dogs they are after but it's just a horrible thing to happen.
The police have warned houses in certain areas that they know are being targeted.

I know what I would do with them. It's beyond cruel.

Honeyb
X

littleminnie

Re: Dog fighting.
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 08:03:50 AM »

They do that with cars too HB, I know someone it happened to. They had their Audi stolen. The police said they know which houses they are going to get them from.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 03:52:50 PM »

Dogs have been stolen for some years - gun dogs in the 1980s/90s, taken out of England straight to Europe.  The working dogs were watched at various 'game fairs' and those that worked well were taken.  From kennels, gardens, backs of Land Rover-type vehicles  :'(

Pet dogs have been targetted for many years in the UK.  NEVER leave your pet in the garden nor outside a shop.  It's a given never to leave a dog in a car because of over-heating ......

Thanks for the warning!  Now evenings are getting darker sooner there is a risk of small dogs being snatched when walked at dusk  :'(

Blue

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 11:44:51 PM »

I heard they like little terriers cuse they will fight and never give up. Means it gives their fighting dog a 'good' training session. 

I will be banned if i say what should be done to people like that.
 (But we have a gripper for bulls that would come into it!)

honeybun

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 08:24:42 AM »

I know exactly what you mean Blue.

Honeyb
X

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 10:11:38 AM »

Rowan

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 10:19:20 AM »

Dog fighting through the centuries

"Dogs have been the unwitting victims of exploitation for blood sports since ancient Roman times when they fought against other animals in the Coliseum. The practice of pitting dogs against other animals, such as bulls and bears, continued through medieval times in England until it was outlawed in 1835 by the Parliament in the Humane Act of 1835. Around that time, the Staffordshire Bull terrier was developed and modern dog-fighting was born. The dog was brought to America in 1817 and dogfighting became part of American culture. [7] The “sport” was endorsed by the United Kennel Club, which actually formulated rules and sanctioned referees. Although dogfighting had become illegal in most states by the 1860's, it continued to flourish as an American pastime through the early twentieth century. [8] It was so popular in fact that in 1881 the Ohio and Mississippi railroads advertised special fares to a dog-fight in Louisville between Lloyd's Pilot, owned by ‘Cockney Charlie' Lloyd and Crib, owned by Louis Krieger. [9] Public forums such as Kit Burns' Tavern, “The Sportsman's Hall” at 273 Water Street in Manhattan, regularly hosted matches [10] and the sadistic culture became immortalized in the annals of American history [11] and folklore. [12] By the 1930's and 1940's, the blood sport had been driven further underground as high profile organizations such as the United Kennel Club withdrew their endorsement. Although dogfighting was outlawed in all the states by 1976, it did not begin to receive serious law enforcement attention until recently. By all accounts, dogfighting continues to surreptitiously thrive in America; its prosperity due in large part to the chronic apathy of and denial by the legal system. Today, it is a felony in 48 states as well as the District of Colombia, the Virgin Islands, and Puerto Rico"

I always thought it was outlawed in the UK too.

Think is disgusting.

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013, 11:20:09 AM »

It is outlawed in the UK. The activities are always carried out illegally - normally unscrupulous people with an out-of-the-way barn agree to rent it out for dog fighting.

Taz

honeybun

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2013, 12:44:09 PM »

I think the travelling community has a lot to do with this.

Watch your pets ladies.

Honeyb
X

lily

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2013, 12:59:28 PM »

Simply horrible, these people are obviously in it for the money to be had but anyone who can arrange or even watch this happening is sick.

honeybun

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2013, 01:06:42 PM »

This is going to sound so sexist, but.  ???

I would bet that there is not one single woman at any dog fight.

It's just not what we do.

A very sweeping statement, but I really believe it.

Honeyb
X

jgr

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2013, 05:51:36 PM »

I would also get thrown off this site if i said what i would do to them. People who knowingly hurt innocent animals are just the scum of the earth.

Taz2

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2013, 10:54:24 PM »

We live close to three "settled" travelling communities and there are many problems. Just like in ordinary society though there are good and bad families. The women are allowed to do some things and not others and dog baiting is one of the things that both sexes do. The women are often involved in training the dogs http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2042886/2-women-Cotswolds-villagers-organised-illegal-dogfights-starved-bull-terriers.html. This report is from America but the same thing does go on here but it has taken a while for us to catch on as to what is happening http://www.animalliberationfront.com/Practical/Entertainment/DogFightingHarmsSociety.htm

Taz x