Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Moving house - again!  (Read 8053 times)

countrybumpkin

Moving house - again!
« on: September 05, 2013, 09:20:21 PM »

I had never moved house ( I moved into husband house on marraige) until 4 years ago having lived in same house for 29 years so it was a steep learning curve as we sold house and business together.  We  downsized but still had to have a big house cos my mother in law lived with us.  For a year after we moved I was like a new mother saying that was so awful I will never do it again.
4 years down the line and my mother in law has had to go into a care home a year ago and we are rattling around in a huge house that costs alot to keep going and we have decided to downsize again to smaller house.  Just like childbirth I have conveniently forgotten the horrors of 4 years ago ;D ;D
I must be totally mad doing this whilst in the throes of meno flushes and the 101 other meno symptoms :o

bramble

Re: Moving house - again!
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 09:24:41 PM »

Save up your pennies and get P*ckfords to do it all for you. So much easier when all you have to do is take down the lampshades and curtains!

Bramble

countrybumpkin

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 09:33:36 PM »

The packing and moving I don't mind as I am not a hoarder in any way so thats easy its the mental stress of collapsing chains and people pulling out and houses selling that you want before you can sell yours.
Mental in more ways than one!

bramble

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 09:39:50 PM »

It is so less stressful  in Scotland with our system.
Good luck.
Bramble

honeybun

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 09:49:06 PM »

Bramble, I was just going to say the sane thing.

I don't think I could cope with the English method of house buying and selling.
Up here once it's done its done.

Honeyb.
X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2013, 09:55:30 AM »

I think the trick is not to look at something before you have an offer on your own  ;) - harder done than said though  ::) .........

countrybumpkin

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2013, 12:11:37 PM »

I agree about not looking until you have an offer on your own but human nature is another thing!
4 years ago we viewed a house at easter and loved it and I just thought what will be will be but when we got our cash offer on 1 july the house was still unsold so it was ours - 24 hrs after accepting our offer her estate agent rang to tell her someone else has offered same so did she want to make us pay more and thankfully she told himwhat do with his ethics and go away ;D
So 24 hrs later and we would have lost out which is why I am a great believer in what will be will be.
We have seen the house we want already but I still have same attitude - if meant to have it we will and if it sells we weren't meant to have it so won't stress me too much.

catdude

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2013, 06:58:06 AM »

Good luck! Having only moved into my house just over a week ago I am very much in the ''never again'' camp  ;D

Suzi Q

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 01:26:36 PM »

Whats so diff in Scotland?
In Uk we biought and sols 5 houses We said our price and accepted  a wee bit less gave them 30 days to complete
We never took our house off themarket unless non refundable deposit was given
Same here in Ozz only here its anywhere from 28days to 56 days you negotiate that
I do get in some way the Scots system where you say offers over 349 but expect to get 450 why not just ask for 450?
I had lived in 15 houses in UK plus WRENS accomodation with Bobbles bought a flat sold it then a house sols it then another house sold it then another house sold it all in 6 years
In ozz weve boght 2 flats sold them bought 8 houses this is our 9th plus we rented 3 flats and 1 house in Ozz
To me a house is just 4 walls has no meaning some where to lay my head
This is maybe the last I think so anyway we can see the sea from the back balconey we have a pool and spa mind we did in last 5 houses its an upstairs downstairs house like in UK but its just 4 walls houses mean nothing to me
Probaly cos Ive never stayed in one long enough this house 6 years is the longest Ive ever lived in one house or flat in my entire life!

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2013, 03:32:58 PM »

There are some nice properties for sale in our Estate - and 4 behind us, priced at £1M100 .............  :o  I want to go have a nosey round but DH won't let me  ;D

We were going to move but our hobbies are deeply embedded in this area and Mum is 2 hours away so ..........  ::)

Limpy

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2013, 04:05:46 PM »

Whats so diff in Scotland?

I think that once the sale and price has been agreed, it has to go through.
No backing out or changing price, on either side.

It happened to a friend of mine recently - in Wales. Their house was on the market and everything was going through.
Then two weeks before completion the buyers backed out, my friend had started packing to move, she was gutted.

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2013, 06:46:25 PM »

If they have got to exchange of contracts there will be a penalty to the sellers!

bramble

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2013, 07:13:10 PM »

In Scotland, you put an offer in through your solicitor and if the seller agrees, that is that. No backing out, no change in price. It is a much easier system. However there is the 'offers over' scenario where the seller quotes the min. price they will accept. When the market was buoyant, then sellers could expect up to 20% above the 'offers over' price. Not nowadays, when competition is not so fierce. We also have 'closing dates' sometimes (if there is a lot of interest in a house). Then you have to get your offer in before the closing date and the highest offer wins. No second chances or rebids allowed. 

Bramble