Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Thought my eyes were on the blink  (Read 12652 times)

Joyce

Thought my eyes were on the blink
« on: September 14, 2013, 01:25:46 PM »

In recent weeks, I've found myself having difficulty reading stuff on TV. Like the ticker tape news updates, the TV guides. Due for eye test soon and reckoned I was maybe needing some glasses for viewing the TV. That was until last night. Visited son and his girlfriend for tea. Whilst we were waiting for her to come home after work we were watching their TV. Bingo I could see clearly. It would appear our TV is on its way out. Everything, pictures included were so sharp on their telly. Hubby now wants us to get new one. Ours is only about 6 years old and thought it would last a while yet. Guess nothing is made to last these days.

So now comes the price checking of TV's online. Found one in JL but then found same on Amazon for about £60 less. Does anyone know if JL will price match an online price from another company? Planning on printing off both prices, by the way as proof.

Rowan

Re: Thought my eyes were on the blink
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 02:22:42 PM »

Cubagirl HD TV is fantasic you really can see the difference, I would really recommend it.

Not sure about prices but am sure all the latest TV are sold HD ready.

honeybun

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 03:23:12 PM »

Glad to hear your eyes are fine but glasses would probably have been cheaper.  ;D

I get most of our electrical stuff from Amazon as they are usually cheaper and their customer service is really good.
Pick the model you want and then do a price comparison. We ended up getting my mum a tumble dryer from Boots of all places as they were cheapest after doing a price comparison check.

One other thing...Don't necessarily choose a really well known make. They are all made in the same factories on the same production line. They just stick a different brand name on them as they cone off the line. I know that for a fact as hubby has watched them do it.

Honeyb

Joyce

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2013, 06:06:12 PM »

Thanks HB were told about the less well known makes a number of years ago when buying a washing machine. We've got a Beko now, much cheaper than rivals and works great.

As for TV I have printed off 3 different prices for same TV so will take to JL & see what they say.

Limpy

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2013, 06:51:45 PM »

The good thing about JL is that they are really good if anything goes wrong

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2013, 06:53:51 PM »

CG - they don't match with purely online companies such as Amazon - sorry https://www.johnlewis.com/never-knowingly-undersold

SL - I have tried so hard to see the difference between ordinary and HD but I just can't! My husband is always grumbling when I record something in ordinary instead of HD. Perhaps I need new glasses!!  :lol:

Taz xx

Joyce

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2013, 07:04:26 PM »

Thanks for that Taz. That was the  bit I was trying to find. That's what I thought might be the case.  Hey ho. Sitting watching BBC HD just now & it's fine but other channels are useless.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2013, 07:48:52 PM »

Some areas of the UK are not yet HD ready  ;)  ::)

Supermarket Food is certainly canned in the same Factory and a different labelt put on - think Smedleys  ;) ......... however, I think that some of the TV Companies might take umbrage  :-X

We had to get a new TV about 4 years ago when I could no longer read the sub-titles  ;D - now guess who again, can't read the sub-titles  :D

Taz2

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2013, 08:03:05 PM »

I thought that everywhere could get HD now.

Taz x  :-\

honeybun

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2013, 08:07:32 PM »

Think you can Taz but you have to have an HD ready TV which I don't.

We consider ourselves lucky here to even get a signal. My area never even got channel 5.....Not that we missed much. We have limited companies who can offer broadband so after years of having a wind up TV to have one that we can just sit and watch is a real bonus.

Honeyb
X

Joyce

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2013, 09:13:25 PM »

We can get HD so long as we use sky box. Also have ancient TV which we need a digibox for but reception is awful. Most of the TVs are 3d now. Don't want one of them.