Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: On your own  (Read 6509 times)

bramble

On your own
« on: September 15, 2013, 08:38:54 PM »

The problem with being on your own is that there is nobody in your corner fighting for you. No matter how good and close you are to friends and family, at the end of the day they all have their own worries and their own agendas and you are left fighting your own battles. I think this menopause malarkey is so much harder when you live on your own. Not just the menopause problems but any problem at all is so much harder. I know it is a choice I have made (no husband, no kids) but even so I sometimes yearn for someone to pat me on the head, tell me it will be alright and shoulder some of the burden just for a little while.
Am I being maudlin' - yes, probably. Will I feel different tomorrow - yes, possibly.  Will it change things - no.

Bramble

Rose

Re: On your own
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 10:38:37 PM »

Honestly Bramble, I am married and two of my six adult kids live with me and no one pats me on the head or has any empathy. Why should they when they aren't going through it?  :( The only empathy I have received is from this website, so that's all I can say. I do sympathize with you because it's not nice to go through this on your own but sometimes I'd love to get away and be on my own so then I wouldn't have to be so brave in front of the others. I told my 26 yro daughter about my recent diagnosis and she said 'Oh mum, don't made me feel depressed before I have to". So it's lovely to go on here and get some advice from people who have been there/done that.

Joyce

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 08:30:26 AM »

Hubby doesn't pat me on my back. He listens, but that's it. No more than that. He doesn't know what it feels like. Like Rose said, best support I've had was on here. My nearly 33 year old daughter doesn't want to know. She's a nurse and basically says "Get a grip." Her time will come. She'll likely to be menopausal as her two girls hit puberty!  In fact my son has actually been better at the sympathy card. His GF says he's like that with her too. Glad to know one if my kids has a sympathetic side.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 10:21:10 AM »

GROUP  :hug:

jax

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 11:28:27 AM »

I am in process of becoming on my own...
some of you will have noticed my absence on here and know my history.
well after a long period of shall I shalt I..the house is up for sale and we are in process of seperating.
A lot of this was the yearning to be on my own, in my own space etc, meno hasnt helped and I have to say its been a wobbly experience. Not feeling able to ask for a pat on the head and nearly doing a u turn.
Time will tell if the reality is good enough... the grass seems a little less green at the moment.I also missed you guys and the support I get here but didnt want to share at the time....
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 11:30:11 AM by jax »

Limpy

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 05:48:52 PM »

Jax

I remember you describing the issues you were having, and wondered how you were doing.

It's a big change and will take some getting used to.
At the moment just take one day at a time, start to enjoy being in your own space again and above all, be kind to yourself.

Lots and lots of hugs

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 06:39:01 PM »

Jax - if you find out that this doesn't work, maybe a 'U' turn will be possible.  Sometimes both sides need breathing space  :foryou: