Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Rotator Cuff Surgery- recovery advice anyone?  (Read 17150 times)

valiantkate

Rotator Cuff Surgery- recovery advice anyone?
« on: August 22, 2013, 06:15:39 PM »

I ruptured my rotator cuff months ago and am waiting for surgery. There has been a definite lack of any sort of info about the recovery process- tips etc, what I will and will not be able to do, I feel ok about surgery but I believe the recovery process is very lengthy- I have my son's wedding coming up, I may have to hide behind lots of people in the photos! ho ho
Thanks ladies

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Rotator Cuff Surgery- recovery advice anyone?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 08:31:44 PM »

Rotator cuff ? shoulder?  oh my meno-brain  >:(

Is the surgeon au fait about this type of surgery.  I believe that the recovery process is long.  Can you speak with a physio before you have the operation to find out what exercises will be recommended after?

When is The Wedding - do you have The Hat yet ?

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 07:14:29 AM »

Sorry to hear that other treatments haven't worked for this. It seems from the BUPA site that recovery is about six months. There is info in the surgery section under Frequently Asked Questions. http://www.bupa.co.uk/individuals/health-information/directory/r/rotator-cuff-injury#textBlock209920

Are you having keyhole surgery?

Taz x

valiantkate

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 11:51:27 AM »

Hi CLKD, Im not too sure what i will wear yet- as the waiting list for surgery is-- well, how long's a piece of string. I'd like to wear a hat as my hair is thin, I'm looking  forward to it as it's been tough for my son in the last couple of years and then within a year a lovely daughter in law to be , a lovely little 'step' daughter- she had her from a previous relationship, a grandson and now a wedding!! Phewie! Just so happy. I shall get my outfit when I know when surgery is as I may have to work around the plaster and sling, but hey, it's their day.
I found some advice about recovery after the surgery, practical tips etc, Just want it to happen ASAP.

valiantkate

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 11:57:35 AM »

Thanks for that Taz, will check out the site. I like to know whats going on so I can get prepared and try to be as independent as I can. I have waited since February for this!!!! Getting used to not using my arm properly. I believe the surgery will be keyhole initially with the proviso that the may have to change to open surgery depending on what they find as I also have lots of arthritic changes too. Gosh I sound like a wreck although I have to admit that I feel like the tin man in The Wizard of Oz- the only problem is the oil can is empty, haha.! :stretcher:
I will let you know what happens. I have already bought a long handled scubbing bruch for those hard to reach places, an electric toothbrush, pump action toothpaste, loads and loads of books.
Thank you for being there xx

valiantkate

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2013, 11:32:14 AM »

Surgery planned for tomorrow, butterflies are jumping up and down in my tum. I know I'll be fine but still a bit of a scardy cat!!

Greyhoundgal

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2013, 12:34:06 PM »

Hope everything goes to plan for you tomorrow.

valiantkate

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2013, 01:34:20 PM »

:thankyou:

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2013, 01:58:02 PM »

What's worrying you the most?

valiantkate

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2013, 02:32:15 PM »

hi there, well, got it done, to be honest I was most frightened of the anaesthetic- the uncontrolled sleep. Actually it was marvellous and the  hospital and staff were fabulous. In some  discomfort now and I cant seem to geet  comfy, but that's to be expected and time will help , starting with the physio- going very gently. The surgeon came to see me when I had come 'round' said I would need a bone scan ASAP as the condition  of my bones was 'very bad' which made their work harder to do. Ive had a lot of pain in my bones lately, felt like they were 'on fire' most of time- lots of incessant pain, I have Osteoarthritis and its not been great. So getting it arranged ASAP. I will keep you poated. I am really grumpy with everyone at moment as I cant do much- even typing is a challenge!!! She said - sticking tounge out at side of mouth as typing hoho.
 valx

valiantkate

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2013, 02:33:26 PM »

I meant posted not poeted- or whatever I wrote!

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2013, 06:31:25 PM »

:foryou:     :medal:   feet up, TV on?

valiantkate

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2013, 08:54:27 AM »

oh yes, and a lovely little black ex stray cat curled up by my feet. bliss
 :cat48: thank you so much xxx

Taz2

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2013, 09:19:19 AM »

So glad it went well  :sunny:

valiantkate

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2013, 08:48:22 PM »

Hi, I had my DEXA scan, pipsy, my gosh it was over in a blink, anyway The GP said I did have Osteoperosis - also have Osteoarthritis so a double whamy really. anyway the GP looked at a lot of readings and data and said hed have to calculate my BDM before sorting out medication, advising me in the meantime to make  sure I have clcium and vitamin D. I need to excersise but its tricky with an imoboliser sling on so cant wait for that to come off!!! I left the surery a bit confused.
Besides that Im feeling OK!!! However if I were a car I'd be ready for the breakers yard I think. :stretcher:
Cherrio. Valx
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5