Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Newbie being driven mad by menopause symptoms  (Read 7428 times)

Ali d

Newbie being driven mad by menopause symptoms
« on: April 05, 2013, 09:15:09 PM »

Hi ladies. I have just recently joined this forum, and having just read a few messages I am pleased I did. I am 45 years old and my story is that I am now post menopausal, having just passed one year since my last period. I have a family history of early menopause, and since saving my first and only child 8 years ago my periods went from fairly regular to totally erratic immediately after her birth. In these past few years in particular I have had the usual symptoms of irritability, tiredness, flushes, tearfulness and lack of libido.
Most recently though, since last November, I have had palpitations which have been quite scary at times. I have also had ectopic beats for some years, I actually had a 24 hour monitor on when I was 7 months pregnant because of these skipped beats. This might be a good indication that it is hormone related. When I had this particularly bad episode in November I had another 24 hour monitor which picked up palpitations and ectopic beats but the doctors said nothing was physically wrong even though it is very scary when it happens  :'( It was very interesting reading about other ladies getting similar episodes as I am a worrier and get quite anxious when these happen.
I can put up with the usual menopausal symptoms but I don't like these palpitations, ectopics and racing pulses. It does help to read of other people experiencing the same thing and reassures me there is nothing physically wrong with me.
I would be really pleased to hear from anybody who has had these symptoms and got past it eventually please.
Many thanks.

Trey

Re: Newbie being driven mad by menopause symptoms
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 10:47:57 PM »

Had tons of palps and ectopics at your very age.  Propranolol and magnesium solved this completely.  Magnesium is approved by most cardiologists in U S and most are deficient in mag.  Beta blockers stop the problem as well.  I also had early meno.  I was a cardiac nurse and could hardly take a pulse without my rhythm messing up my count of the patient's pulse. 

Welcome!

Ali d

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 09:23:39 AM »

Hi Trey.
Many thanks for your reply. Good to hear from a cardiology nurse too, even more reassuring. I am a radiographer myself and when I had a sudden episode of tachycardia whilst at work in February (I was only sitting at a desk at the time) my boss walked me to A/E to get it checked out. I was told everything was okay and funnily enough pretty much the first question the A/E doctor asked me was am I going through the change, he's the first person to pick up on it straight away.
Even though my GP knows I am in the menopause (I was peri menopausal last November when I saw her, but am now post menopausal as it has been a year now since my last period) she asked me to fill out a depression questionnaire as i was tearful and generally fed up. She told me I was mildly depressed, so put me on an anti depressant. I have just finished weaning myself off of that tablet as the A/E doctor said that tablet could cause palpitations itself -I need that like i need a hole in the head! I feel sure all my symptoms that the doctor thought was just depression is all down to the menopause. 
One thing I have noticed about the palpitations and ectopic beats is that for the past few months since I have been making a note of when they happen, they seem to mainly occur in the first week of the month and then I can quite often have around 3 weeks of nothing. Can it be that my body is still on a monthly cycle, trying to kick out an egg every month, even though its never gong to happen?
I might well see my doctor about the possibility of beta blockers or check my magnesium level, thanks for that. I need to do something as I am wary of even booking a holiday away in case I get these episodes whilst away.
Sorry to babble on so much, but it really helps to talk to others in the same boat.
Kind regards.

Rowan

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 10:01:05 AM »

Ali d "Can it be that my body is still on a monthly cycle, trying to kick out an egg every month, even though its never gong to happen?" you may well be right, we can have a sort of cycle even up to our seventies!

You have not mentioned HRT, a lot of women find that it can help with ectopic heart beats and tachycardia.

Trey is right about magnesium helping since I have been using Magnesium Taurate I have been free of them I also use a very low dose estrogen patch once a week even have breaks from it (and supplements) I had all the tests and heart monitor all came back negative and Cardiologist said it was due to menopause.

Its not just women who get ectopic heart beats, men can get them too some people are just prone to them but live long healthy lives, as long as you have been given the all clear from a cardiologist.

I would try not to worry as the more you do the more stress the body feels. This site should help put your mind at rest.

http://palps.chemicalforums.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl

Hope this is of help.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 10:06:47 AM by Rowan »

Ali d

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 10:26:02 AM »

Hi Rowan,
Many thanks for your reply. My GP did mention HRT once but I kind of rejected it because I was concerned about it increasing my chances of certain cancers (I am such a worrier) and I kind of feel that the menopause has got to happen, will having HRT just delay the inevitable and I will still get all this problem, just a few years down the line instead.
Can I ask, do you still get periods on the oestrogen patch? One thing I have been pleased about is not having periods anymore ;D
Thanks so much for your advice.

Rowan

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 11:24:57 AM »

I am lucky in that have had a partial hysterectomy so only use estrogen at the lowest dose.

It might be a good idea to have a word with your GP to see what can be suggested. Even talking to your GP may allay your fears :)

Taz2

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2013, 04:21:27 PM »

Hi Ali d - welcome to the forum.

As you are under the age of natural menopause the usual advice is for you to use HRT up to the age of around 50/51. Your body would normally be producing oestrogen and it has a protective effect on the heart and bones. There are not thought to be any risks up to the age of normal meno as you are merely replacing what should have been yours naturally. Once you get to around 50 then it is normally advised that you have a break from  HRT to see where you are menopause-wise and you can then restart it if your symptoms are troublesome. This is from our own menu on the left of the screen http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/menopause.php  As you have gone a year without periods you should be able to use a continuous HRT which will not give a monthly bleed.

Lots of us begin this journey thinking that we just need to "get through it" but, of course, the menopause lasts for the rest of our lives. It is true that for some women once they stop HRT (me included) the symptoms return but at least you will have had a few years of feeling better.

Hope this helps!

Taz x

Ali d

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2013, 05:21:58 PM »

Thanks again for the advice. I think I do need a chat with my GP. It's hard to know the right thing to do. When I'm having a good couple of weeks I think "I can deal with this without medication",  then when the palpitations and ectopics start again I get despondent.
Thanks so much for all the advice, watch this space! xx

Taz2

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2013, 05:23:53 PM »

It's a lot to take in all at once. For your heart and bone health though HRT, if you reach the menopause before the "normal age"  i.e. under 40 is premature and under 45 is early, -  is advised. Let us know how you get on!

Taz x

Ali d

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2013, 05:47:11 PM »

Will do, thanks so much Taz. X ;D

Ali d

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2013, 09:38:30 AM »

Hi again. I have done it, I am now on HRT. I had an occupational health appointment at work, and after crying my way through it the advisor concluded I needed to talk to my GP abouth the possibility of HRT as she felt it could benefit me.

I saw another GP in my doctors practice, rather than my own, and she was really helpful. She put my mind at rest about a few HRT concerns of mine and also felt it might be worth a try considering my age.

I started on Prempak last Thursday and I must say I do feel a lot better. I seem to have more energy, I don't feel like I am struggling up hill all the time. So far I am pleased with the results.  ;D