Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Hello everyone - I'm new here!  (Read 6439 times)

Belle

Hello everyone - I'm new here!
« on: April 24, 2013, 11:34:05 AM »

Hi everyone

I'm really pleased to have found this forum.  I'm 44 years old and have recently been told by my GP that I'm perimenopausal - my FSH level was 21.  I have had a difficult 2-3 years with depression, anxiety and insomnia, brain fog, poor concentration, my cycle varying from 21 to 42 days, heavy periods, and more recently aching joints.  I left my job as I thought it was the cause of the depression but the depression continued! I now work from home, which fits in with the family, but I'm finding it a bit isolating. I went to the doctor's (again) earlier this year thinking there was something terribly wrong with me to find it's the menopause!  I can't say I was too pleased with the news but relieved that it wasn't something more serious!

I was prescribed Prozac and advised to go for counselling.  I've been taking the Prozac for 5 weeks now and have noticed very little difference, just the side effects of Prozac!  I'm still waiting for a counselling appointment - although I'm not sure what I'm going to be counselled about! My GP says I can have HRT once my periods have stopped. I have very occasional night sweats but no hot flushes in the day.

I would just like to feel 'normal' again - even if just for a day!  I'm sure there's lots of really helpful advice and suggestions on this forum and I'm going to have a good read through the posts.

Lx

honeybun

Re: Hello everyone - I'm new here!
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 12:04:26 PM »

Welcome to the forum.

Sorry to be blunt but your GP is talking rubbish. You do not need to wait until your periods stop before you can have HRT. In fact at your age he should be encouraging you to take it. At your age you are just replacing the hormones that should still be rightfully yours. It will protect your heart and bones and can prevent VA.

Have a look at the green menu on the left and see what your options are.
Go back and see your GP again.

You may not need ADs at all. Doctors are all to keen to hand them out when the true problems are hormonal.

Look around and join in.

Honeyb
X

Evenstar

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 03:22:51 PM »

Hi Belle and welcome xxxxx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 04:04:30 PM »

:welcomemm:  Prozac made me  :cuss:  .......... there's no problem taking an anti-depressant as it will lift the mood enabling you to see the 'wood for the trees'.  At least your GP recognises that the menopause can begin at your age.  Some fob ladies off with 'that age is too early' ...... 
>:(

Browse round ......

Belle

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 07:07:00 PM »

Thank you all for the welcome.

I'm hoping to see my GP tomorrow so need to pluck up the courage to ask about hrt again!

Lx

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 07:10:10 PM »

Ask about the pros and cons?  Take a list of your queries so that you can cover your worries and let us know how you get on!

ann123

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 06:35:10 AM »

Print off the information on HRT preparations from the green menu at the side, of course you can take HRT.

Good luck

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 05:49:40 PM »

Hi Belle - welcome from me too.

I agree that your doctor is talking rubbish. Why would there be sequential HRT available if you can only have HRT once your periods stop and you have no need to induce a monthly bleed? Good luck.

Taz x

Limpy

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013, 06:21:47 PM »

Hi Belle - welcome from me too.

Is it possible to see another GP and get another opinion about HRT. A female would be good if possible, they are usually more sensible about hormones. However anybody with a brain would be better.

I tried Prozac once, to try and comabt MS induced knackerdness (oops sorry fatigue)
All that happened was I got really really ratty. Didn't sleep at all, really useful with fatigue. Didn't help one bit.

This menopause thing is not good, but you are not alone

Belle

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2013, 08:30:00 PM »

Good evening ladies!

Well, I went to see my GP today and came out with a prescription for cocodamol, as for the last week I have had a terrible headache!  She wants me to continue with the Prozac for another two weeks and then possibly increase it! She doesn't see my complaints as anything to do with menopause but is insistent I'm depressed. I'm so tired, worn out, moody, etc etc that I haven't got the energy to argue with her just yet.

I'll may be try a natural supplement in the meantime.

Lx

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2013, 08:34:25 PM »

:cuss:  I wish GP s would realise that we know our bodies best  ::)

honeybun

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2013, 07:17:29 AM »

Hi Belle.

I think you may need to change your GP.

Did you have a look at the green menu and also the list of meno symptoms. Perhaps print them out after ticking the symptoms that apply to you and go back armed with lots of info.
You can also email Dr Currie for help.

Lots of us have had to fight to get what we need. I only had to ask once for HRT and my GP was fine with it.
We know our bodies...

Do you feel depressed at all.

Honeyb
X

Limpy

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2013, 09:16:02 AM »

Belle,

See another GP, at least to have a chat.

As Honeybun says, emailing Dr Currie could be useful. It wasn't cheap, but I got useful info to brandish at my GP.

I got the "we should think of increasing Prozac", no way.
I pointed out the problems I was getting with it, and basically refused to take it.

Hang on in there